Late Round Picks Request

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
swine

Late Round Picks Request

Postby SKIN4LIFE » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:29 am

Hello Guys and Gals,

Debating the Skins picks for the first few rounds is fun, but I personally enjoy the art of finding the sleeper in the draft. I remember when Vincent Jackson came out we had a lot of people at this site praying the skins would draft him. Now look at his success, should have been in a Skins jersey.

Well, I started this post thinking people may want to list thier late round hopefuls and bring attention to players we may not be aware of at this time. These are the picks that help build depth and can materialize into something special.

Here is a little article on two guys I think we should keep an eye on. Both are in areas of need. Please let me know your thoughts and other under the radar players we hope the Skins have on thier radar for the late rounds.

Much was written from Indianapolis when Oregon State defensive tackle Paea set the combine record by completing 49 reps on the bench. That mark was matched on Tuesday by Blaine Sumner from Colorado School of Mines, a Division II program.

Article: The small-school defensive lineman measured 6-feet, 1½-inches and 335 pounds. Besides his solid mark on the bench press, Sumner also touched 32 inches in the vertical jump. Sumner will get a chance to top that number, which he thinks he can accomplish, as he's been asked to participate in next week's pro day at Air Force.

Not to be outdone, Sumner's teammate and record-setting sackmaster Marc Schiechl, also wowed the scouts in attendance. Schiechl, who holds the Div-II record with 45 career sacks, ran 4.64 40, posted a 35-inch vertical jump and broad jump of 10 feet, 5 inches. Oh yeah -- he also completed 38 reps on the bench. Primarily playing defensive end in college, Schiechl measured 6-feet-2½ and weighed 251 pounds. He was put through a battery of linebacker drills and looked terrific. He also will showcase his skills again during the Air Force pro day.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... z1GIi1npLh
Changing the ways of Today (salary cap) will allow us to celebrate championships in the Future.

Hog

Postby skins2357 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:02 pm

wow great info. I had never heard of either of these guys. I would be all over this Sumner guy. At 335, he is big enough toplay NT, and obviously strong enough with 49 reps of 225. Ppl said Paea could be a NT because of his strength, but I was not sold simply because of his weight (300 lbs)

If we can get this guy who is just as strong, and has true NT size, Im all for it. Great find
Mike/Bruce - If your going to spring big this year in Free Agency, please spring big on offensive lineman! I cant watch Rabach anymore!

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:37 pm

It would depend on how quick and productive he is but it sounds like he would def be hard to move with the upper body strength and weighing int the 330's. You know you get the quickness with Paea, but he may or may not hold up at nose because of his weight. I think he could be a Ratliff type but you never know.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:54 pm

Sumner looks like he has all the physical tools. 335 pounds under 6'2'' seems like a guy that's hard to move and produces great leverage. A nice vertical jump means he has some serious explosive power. Combine that with the upper body strength from his bench press numbers and he could be something special.

How is his work ethic?
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Postby rmacfan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Both of these kids are studs. The numbers each of them put up at their small school Pro Day put them at the top of their respective position groups from the Combine. If your follow Pat Kirwan's Explosiveness Index (bench reps + vert+ broad jump), Sumner had a 90 and Schiechl had an 83. The best number from the combine was JJ Watt with an 81.

Both these guys are from Colorado School of Mines which is one of the best and toughest engineering schools in the country. Graduating from there while playing football speaks volumes about their work ethic.

Here are some video links:

Sumner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CObtOq1MRA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yc66P9aWE4

Schiechl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PdK1PsafbA

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:33 pm

Amazing that a big guy like Blaine Sumner can move that fast. He is faster than Phhil Taylor.
He is ranked the 17th best DT prospect and is projected to be "undrafted." I hope he is on Shanny's radar.

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Very impressive tape. I think he will be drafted just because even though it was small schools no one was even remotely successful at moving him. Could go in the middle rounds I imagine a lot of teams are being quiet about him right now but he will be drafted I would guess.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:27 pm

Thanks for posting this. Hopefully we can get Sumner in the late rounds. He looks like a freak.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

swine

Postby SKIN4LIFE » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:43 pm

There's a new leader in the clubhouse! Last week, we told you of the exploits of Blaine Sumner, the sleeper nose tackle from the Colorado School of Mines who completed 49 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press during his March 8 pro day. That number equaled the amount completed by Stephen Paea, who set the combine record in February. Sumner topped that mark on Monday when he completed 52 reps as a participant in the Air Force pro-day. He actually completed 55 reps, but three were disqualified by scouts in attendance. Besides being an All-Conference defensive tackle, Sumner has marks of 900 pounds in the squat and 425 in the clean. He will be tough to pass up in the late rounds.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/f ... z1GguwU9Pt
Changing the ways of Today (salary cap) will allow us to celebrate championships in the Future.

Postby Rich Milot » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:49 pm

Wow!
What a monster!

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:50 pm

Workout warriors always come with the Mike Mamula disclaimer ... all things being equal I'd rather steal Phil Taylor in the 1st and whichever garbage project QB they so choose in the 2nd, round of the wasted pick QB.

Postby yupchagee » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:38 pm

Red_One43 wrote:Amazing that a big guy like Blaine Sumner can move that fast. He is faster than Phhil Taylor.
He is ranked the 17th best DT prospect and is projected to be "undrafted." I hope he is on Shanny's radar.

Where did you find the ranking?
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:21 pm

yupchagee wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:Amazing that a big guy like Blaine Sumner can move that fast. He is faster than Phhil Taylor.

Where did you find the ranking?

http://cdsdraft.com/rankings/position-r ... osition=DT

swine

Postby SKIN4LIFE » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:40 pm

TCIYM wrote:Workout warriors always come with the Mike Mamula disclaimer ... all things being equal I'd rather steal Phil Taylor in the 1st and whichever garbage project QB they so choose in the 2nd, round of the wasted pick QB.

Yes, but we are not in favor of using a first round pick on him, we are saying get value with the first two picks, and use a later pick on a boom or bust guy like this. NT in the first two rounds doesn't sit well with me. Just my opinion.

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:01 pm

SKIN4LIFE wrote:
TCIYM wrote:Workout warriors always come with the Mike Mamula disclaimer ... all things being equal I'd rather steal Phil Taylor in the 1st and whichever garbage project QB they so choose in the 2nd, round of the wasted pick QB.

Yes, but we are not in favor of using a first round pick on him, we are saying get value with the first two picks, and use a later pick on a boom or bust guy like this. NT in the first two rounds doesn't sit well with me. Just my opinion.

In my opinion, one shared by many coaches and scouts, NT is the single most important position in a 3-4 defense. While no one is comparing Phil Taylor with Ndamakong Suh, it is quite evident how valuable he is to the Lions 3-4. B.J. Raji? Casey Hampton? Haloti Ngata? Without a bona fide NT there is no pass rush, placing more burden on the linebackers and secondary to cover. How'd that work out last season? In a perfect world the Redskins could draft Taylor at #41, or Paea in the 3rd, or maybe Cameron Heyward in the 4th. All three have moved up the draft boards and the Redskins don't have those lower round picks. Yea, you can take a gamble on someone like Sumner in the 7th or as a UDFA but you can't expect him to be an immediate starter, something the Redskins need unless you think Kemoeatu will be on the roster and healthy or you think Anthony Bryant's 7th time is the charm. I can't buy either. I also believe teams build from the lines back if they want to be serious contenders. There is a premium on defensive linemen in today's NFL. Teams can't rely on finding late round gems to fill those holes. If the Redskins don't reach on Taylor another team will. The position is that important.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010