Late Round Picks Request

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:50 pm

TCIYM, Last year, the Jags selected Tyson Alualu with the 10th pick even though Alualu was projected to go late in the first round. Sometimes you have to do that to get your guy. Are you saying that you would pick Phil Taylor at #10 if you can't trade down?

Sometimes the thought of picking Taylor with # 10 and then picking Paea with the second round pick crosses my mind. I keep thinking about Ray Lewis lobbying the Ravens staff to get some big guys up front and then they draft Ngata. I would still try to get Blaine Sumner on day two and put him at the other end. I know that this goes against popular wisdom to pass on Julio, but if Blaine Sumner turns out to be the real deal - the front line would be Sumner, Taylor and Paea with back ups Carriker, and Bryant and Golston. Rob Jackson or Chris Wilson, Riley, Fletcher, and Orakpo as LBs. Rogers (?), Landry, Atogwe, and Hall as DB's. Looks like a pretty strong D. We could concentrate on the OL in free agency and acquire a receiver in FA. Your comments about building form line back has got me thinking.
Last edited by Red_One43 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hog

Postby TCIYM » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:51 pm

Red_One43 wrote:TCIYM, Last year, the Jags selected Tyson Alualu with the 10th pick even though Alualu was projected to go late in the first round. Sometimes you have to do that to get your guy. Are you saying that you would pick Phil Taylor at #10 if you can't trade up?

Sometimes the thought of picking Taylor with # 10 and then picking Paea with the second round pick crosses my mind. I keep thinking about Ray Lewis lobbying the Ravens staff to get some big guys up front and then they draft Ngata. I would still try to get Blaine Sumner on day two and put him at the other end. I know that this goes against popular wisdom to pass on Julio, but if Blaine Sumner turns out to be the real deal - the front line would be Sumner, Taylor and Paea with back ups Carriker, and Bryant and Golston. Rob Jackson or Chris Wilson, Riley, Fletcher, and Orakpo as LBs. Rogers (?), Landry, Atogwe, and Hall as DB's. Looks like a pretty strong D. We could concentrate on the OL in free agency and acquire a receiver in FA. Your comments about building form line back has got me thinking.

I don't think Phil Taylor is a legitimate #10, more like a #20 or a #25. The thing is, trading down is never as easy as just wanting to trade down. Not only do you have to find a trade partner but that trade partner has to have a pick that still allows you to draft your targeted player, otherwise you're screwing yourself trading down. I like either Quinn or Jordan at #10, Taylor at #41, Paea for the 3rd we should get for McNabb, Da'Rel Scott with the 4th we should get for Failbert, and I'd definitely take flyers on players like Heyward and Sumner in the later rounds. Realistically, we can't address every need in one offseason. Unfortunately I don't think Shanahan can help himself in believing he can coach up any QB prospect he likes and I sense a pick or two being spent on QB projects rather than more solid positions. Shanahan's personnel decisions to date do not instill confidence. He was broughjt in to avoid the asinine mistakes Cerrato made with draft picks and free agency, not to make the same ones. Other than the presumption Atogwe was a good signing, what should lead me to believe we won't end up with Julio Jones and Jake Locker?

Postby yupchagee » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:08 am

Red_One43 wrote:
yupchagee wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:Amazing that a big guy like Blaine Sumner can move that fast. He is faster than Phhil Taylor.
He is ranked the 17th best DT prospect and is projected to be "undrafted." I hope he is on Shanny's radar.

Where did you find the ranking?

http://cdsdraft.com/rankings/position-r ... osition=DT

Thanks!
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

swine

Postby SKIN4LIFE » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:39 am

TCIYM wrote:
SKIN4LIFE wrote:
TCIYM wrote:Workout warriors always come with the Mike Mamula disclaimer ... all things being equal I'd rather steal Phil Taylor in the 1st and whichever garbage project QB they so choose in the 2nd, round of the wasted pick QB.

Yes, but we are not in favor of using a first round pick on him, we are saying get value with the first two picks, and use a later pick on a boom or bust guy like this. NT in the first two rounds doesn't sit well with me. Just my opinion.

In my opinion, one shared by many coaches and scouts, NT is the single most important position in a 3-4 defense. While no one is comparing Phil Taylor with Ndamakong Suh, it is quite evident how valuable he is to the Lions 3-4. B.J. Raji? Casey Hampton? Haloti Ngata? Without a bona fide NT there is no pass rush, placing more burden on the linebackers and secondary to cover. How'd that work out last season? In a perfect world the Redskins could draft Taylor at #41, or Paea in the 3rd, or maybe Cameron Heyward in the 4th. All three have moved up the draft boards and the Redskins don't have those lower round picks. Yea, you can take a gamble on someone like Sumner in the 7th or as a UDFA but you can't expect him to be an immediate starter, something the Redskins need unless you think Kemoeatu will be on the roster and healthy or you think Anthony Bryant's 7th time is the charm. I can't buy either. I also believe teams build from the lines back if they want to be serious contenders. There is a premium on defensive linemen in today's NFL. Teams can't rely on finding late round gems to fill those holes. If the Redskins don't reach on Taylor another team will. The position is that important.

Agree on many instances, but for future reference, the Lions do not run a 3-4. Also, I am torn on which line is the priority. I wouldn't mind the skins bingeing on o-line players with their earlier picks. We have a lot of holes and a lot of directions we can go in.
Changing the ways of Today (salary cap) will allow us to celebrate championships in the Future.

swine

Postby SKIN4LIFE » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:42 am

TCIYM wrote:
SKIN4LIFE wrote:
TCIYM wrote:Workout warriors always come with the Mike Mamula disclaimer ... all things being equal I'd rather steal Phil Taylor in the 1st and whichever garbage project QB they so choose in the 2nd, round of the wasted pick QB.

Yes, but we are not in favor of using a first round pick on him, we are saying get value with the first two picks, and use a later pick on a boom or bust guy like this. NT in the first two rounds doesn't sit well with me. Just my opinion.

In my opinion, one shared by many coaches and scouts, NT is the single most important position in a 3-4 defense. While no one is comparing Phil Taylor with Ndamakong Suh, it is quite evident how valuable he is to the Lions 3-4. B.J. Raji? Casey Hampton? Haloti Ngata? Without a bona fide NT there is no pass rush, placing more burden on the linebackers and secondary to cover. How'd that work out last season? In a perfect world the Redskins could draft Taylor at #41, or Paea in the 3rd, or maybe Cameron Heyward in the 4th. All three have moved up the draft boards and the Redskins don't have those lower round picks. Yea, you can take a gamble on someone like Sumner in the 7th or as a UDFA but you can't expect him to be an immediate starter, something the Redskins need unless you think Kemoeatu will be on the roster and healthy or you think Anthony Bryant's 7th time is the charm. I can't buy either. I also believe teams build from the lines back if they want to be serious contenders. There is a premium on defensive linemen in today's NFL. Teams can't rely on finding late round gems to fill those holes. If the Redskins don't reach on Taylor another team will. The position is that important.

Agree on many instances, but for future reference, the Lions do not run a 3-4. Also, I am torn on which line is the priority. I wouldn't mind the skins bingeing on o-line players with their earlier picks. We have a lot of holes and a lot of directions we can go in. Also, I really want us to bring in a top flight center (available in the 5th round, Barnes. To avoid beating a drum, i will quickly say I am very much over Rabach. Anyone that disagrees is welcome to, but don't try, I can not be convinced otherwise.
Changing the ways of Today (salary cap) will allow us to celebrate championships in the Future.

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:01 pm

TCIYM wrote:While no one is comparing Phil Taylor with Ndamakong Suh, it is quite evident how valuable he is to the Lions 3-4.

Uh...the Lions play a 4-3...

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:19 pm

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:17 pm

Red_One43 wrote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/19/pro-day-prospect-bests-combine-bench-press-record/

Blaine Sumner

and, from watching game video, he has a nasty game-day attitude, too... very pumped up, very aggressive, very hard to block... somebody is going to get a very motivated, very hard working player.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010