Questions I have about Training Camp

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
piggie

Questions I have about Training Camp

Postby The Skins Fan » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:15 pm

This will be my first year attending Traing Camp at Redskins Park....I did go a few years ago up in Carlisle but I've never been to Redskins Park in Ashburn...I know there are a many of you fellow hogs who've been there last year and know the ropes...I'm going on opening day (the 30th) and being a Saturday it's going to be packed...I'm going to be coming from the Annapolis area with a fellow hog and we plan on pulling out of the driveway pretty early...Only question is how early of course and thats where I come to you..How fast does the line accumilate outside the gate before they open them?? Like is there a line half a mile long at 4am or just a 1/4 mile long at that time?? I know they let the gates open at 8am and i've read that you have to pick your place around the field which is basically first come, first serve for the seats closests to the field and the best areas of the field and so forth but i'm just curious how fast the line stacks in the early morning?? I'm trying to get a good idea especially with Gibbs and Co. back in town, it'll be that much packed that much faster...I know alot of you burgendy and gold bleeding hogs were there last year that know the ropes on how it all works and have an early morning battle plan
Hail to the Redskins...Hail Victory!!!

^^

Postby hatsOFF2gibbs » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:30 pm

The Skins Fan, I've been in Ashburn for three years now. I usually don't go their early...so I don't know exactly how long the lines are. But, I've heard that they are usually pretty long in the morning. Now since Gibbs is back, its going to be a hell of a lot longer. So, if you want to see the skins camp from begining to end, get there early!! Real early.
Also, isn't the first training camp on the 31st?? (The 30th is a Friday, which doesn't make sense) Check that out!

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:41 pm

My mom and I leave Edgewater (just south of Annapolis) at about 6:00 A.M. I get up at 4:00 to get ready and read up on the latest Skins news on the Post. I had read that we just signed Jacobs. (Sorry, didn't browse TheHogs.net at that time) There aren't any lines to wait in. If you're early, you just park on the side of the long road until it's time to go in. If you're at the parking lot entrance early, they just turn you around and will let you in when you come back on time.
Last edited by Jake on Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:52 pm

do you have to get an invitation to camp? or tickets of some sorts? i know a few teams camps require you to send in for an "invitation".
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:18 pm

Last year you got an invitation from Redskins.com and brought it with you. If you didn't have one, you filled one out upon your arrival. I think it's just their way to track how many people are showing up.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:10 am

The invitation will be up in mid-july according to Redskins.com.

When it's posted, you print this invitation out and bring it with you to camp and drop it in a ballot box for a draw.

You don't have to have one to get in, but as stated, they do it on the site to try and gauge a rough number of how many people are planning on attending camp.

... also, there are no 'seats' to sit in, so bring your own if you want to sit down.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:10 am

How long are practices? Do you all stay there the entire day for the 9:30 and 4:00 PM practices? How available are the players during their down times?

My 1 yr. wedding anniversary lands on Sunday, August 1, and my wife and I plan on taking Monday, August 2 off, as well. I guess, theoretically, we could be at camp on either of those days. We're both Skins fans, and she was with me at draft day.

Is training camp necessarily a day-long affair, or will it suffice to be at the AM practice only?
Back and better than ever!

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:21 am

Redeemedskin, when I went last year, practices lasted between 1-2 hours (if I remember correctly). Some players (certainly not all) often approach the fans after both practices and sign autographs. Some players are more reliable in this regard than others.

If you don't want to make it a day-long affair, attend the A.M. practice only. It's still kinda cool to see the players and the coaches up close and personal...even if it's just for a half-day.
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:48 am

Thanks, JH. Any concession stands??? Food sales? Half a day sounds good.

+++

Postby NikiH » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:00 am

Yes there are concession stands but bring a heavy wallet. Last year you were able to bring in your own food and drink as well. Which works for me. You don't want a 2 year old munching on fries and junk all day. We actually packed a lunch for Fan Appreciation Day because it was a day long affair and there were tons of people. I was not giving up my prime parking to go to lunch. LOL
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:29 am

Bringing our own food works well for us. Thanks for the input, Niki.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:11 am

I created a little diagram to explain the basic layout of Redskin Park, you will find it in a thread that is stickied in this forum.

... or you can click here

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:28 am

Great Diagram. Thanks, Boss. :up:
Are fans ever allowed on the fields? (After practices) Or are they kept strictly behind the ropes?

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:45 am

The ropes are the boundaries... fans aren't allowed past them at any time.

+++

Postby NikiH » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:13 pm

What bosshog said is true but during fan appreciation day last year the lines were on the turf practice field. We got a great picture of Jackson right on the 40 yard line. He loved it. It was hard to keep him from running up and down the field.
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007