With the 10th pick, the Washington Redskins select....

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

Postby yupchagee » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:46 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
yupchagee wrote:I see our top needs as:
QB
NT
Interior OL.

I'm not sure a player at any of these positions, worth the #10 pick will be there at 10.
Ist preference is to trade down. 2nd choice, I'm not sure.

I agree with your list but would add:
OLB and DE are as big of a need as NT and OL.

WR is the next big need, but you simply can't justify taking a WR that high in the draft.

I think Carriker & Jarmon will be good DE's if we get an NT.

OLB would be nice, but the other positions are more critical.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby skins2357 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:32 pm

My positions of need in order:

OLB - We currently have noone on the roster who can play well here. Zo struggled big time last yr and is nothing more then a backup IMO.

OG - Lichensteiger and Monty improved week to week, but both of them together are a liability. We need a good young LG (Hudson, Wiesnewski), a FA signing at RG (Joseph) and let Monty and Lichensteiger battle at C

NT - Bryant looked good at the end of the year, but was nonexistant before that. We need a young guy to come in and split time while learning the ropes (Blaine Sumner)

QB - Grossman will be our starter next year, and he was not terrible last year. However we do need a replacement in 2012, meaning we need to start grooming him

DE - Carriker looks good, but we could use an upgrade on the other side. We have ppl on the roster who can fill in (Gholston, Jarmon), but they should be backups.

WR - We need some young guys to come in and compete. After Moss (if resigned) we have no reliables. Its hard for me to justify taking one at 10 though because there are too many things that directly affect their success, that we dont have yet. (QB, OL, other WRS)
Mike/Bruce - If your going to spring big this year in Free Agency, please spring big on offensive lineman! I cant watch Rabach anymore!

swine

Postby fanforlife » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:55 pm

skins2357 wrote:NT - Bryant looked good at the end of the year, but was nonexistant before that. We need a young guy to come in and split time while learning the ropes (Blaine Sumner)

SKINS2357: Good afternoon

Was he nonexistent because he was bad or was he nonexistent because Haslett didn't play him?

From what I saw he only played the last 3..4 games of the year & like you said, looked good doing it. Do we need another NT?...yes, but should we spend our #10 pick on him...no. IMO
as always...HTTR!!!

Hog

Postby skins2357 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:24 pm

whoa there chief, never said to spend the 10th pick on a NT. If u would read some posts, I am a fan of bringing in Blaine Sumner, who is a 5th rounder at best, to rotate with Bryant.

I was commenting on where our needs were, in the order needed. That does not mean you take them at 10. If you took my post as a "who we should draft at 10", then OLB was my #1 priority. Why would you skip that one and blow me up for saying NT? IF we stay at 10, I assume we take Jones. But I dont want to stay at 10, I was to trade down and pick up some 2nd rounders and use a 5th on my MANCRUSH Blaine Sumner. Hell I would not draft Phil Taylor (the best NT in the draft) at 10.
Mike/Bruce - If your going to spring big this year in Free Agency, please spring big on offensive lineman! I cant watch Rabach anymore!

swine

Postby fanforlife » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:32 pm

skins2357 wrote: Why would you skip that one and blow me up for saying NT?

skins2357:

I think there's been a miscommunication. To begin with...It wasn't my intention to "blow you up" for saying NT. You can say what ever you want about what ever you want. I was simply trying to carry on a conversation.

Your list of needs are accurate. :hail:
as always...HTTR!!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:34 am

there are a lot of examples of high and low draft picks from the past 10 years to suit everyone's point of view

one fan's opinion is worth just as much as anyone else - so here goes

I think the FO will really try to trade down and they have a much better chance of that if the first 9 picks are not the best players available - that will mean there might be more of an incentive for a team to want to trade up to get a player that should have been drafted and will almost certainly be gone if they don't

we have so many needs that I hope that IF these guys cannot trade the pick they use it on a player that will help them for many years to come

IMO that player should be Julio Jones IF he's available - but what do I know

the trouble here in the past was that the guys making decisions and evaluating players did a terrible job
HERE's THE GOOD NEWS - this FO & our talent evaluators for both free agents & college kids have got to do a much better job or they will be gone by the 2012 draft
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in 2016
we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:24 am

I think the FO will really try to trade down and they have a much better chance of that if the first 9 picks are not the best players available - that will mean there might be more of an incentive for a team to want to trade up to get a player that should have been drafted and will almost certainly be gone if they don't

I actually disagree. I don't think that we'll try all that hard to trade out of the #10 pick. At #10 we have a chance to draft an elite prospect at a position of need (DL, QB, WR, or OLB). I just don't see the front office passing up an opportunity like that unless some other teams puts together a trade package that is just too good to pass up.
Suck and Luck

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:20 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:Von Miller, Marcell Dareus, Patrick Peterson or Mark Ingram.

We need a RB much more then we need a WR. I think Ingram is highly underrated. All though he ran a 4.5 forty which isnt bad at all he still is going to be a special player in my opinion.

Ingram over Green!!!!! We need a running game again. We are the freaking Redskins.

No way MS drafts a RB at ten! He correctly believes that you just don't invest that much in a RB.

No way we need a RB more than a WR and this is true with Tana (w/o him the two needs aren't even on the same planet), but we shouldn't draft either #10.

OLs make a running game not a RB. Fix the OL and any RB you find at a Quickie Mart will work.

Given Shannys history with running backs you are probably right that he does not draft a running back at no. 10. I guess I was more voicing my own opinion.

My main point is really I dont want a WR at no. 10. I was just saying I could live with getting Ingram at no. 10. I think it would be a huge mistake to draft a WR at no. 10.

Who I really want at no. 10 is Peterson or Von Miller. Peterson a shut down corner or Von Miller a gifted OLB. Either one would be fine with me. We probably have a better shot at getting Von Miller but he might not make it past no. 5 either.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:28 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:... I don't think that we'll try all that hard to trade out of the #10 pick. At #10 we have a chance to draft an elite prospect at a position of need (DL, QB, WR, or OLB). I just don't see the front office passing up an opportunity like that unless some other teams puts together a trade package that is just too good to pass up.

I see your point and I would hope that whomever they take with that pick would be able to play for many years and help this franchise

I guess I'm hoping that we can get as many picks as possible because we have so many needs - I really am hoping that this FO and the guys in charge can make a lot of amends for the very bad overall job that they have done since they arrived

I'm not sure that Mike didn't think that he could get away with having so many VERY old players and that coupled with some really screwy game planning offensively PLUS having a defensive scheme that did not suit the players available all combined to end with us not very much further along in getting this franchise back to any semblance of consistency

we need to scrap a lot of players and ensure that we are one of the youngest franchises in the NFL - we are not going to be able to fix anything here in the short term so we need to make a plan to get VERY young and start rebuilding once and for all

I'd be happy to take a super player with that #10 pick but i'm still hoping we can add to our draft picks for both this and the next draft in any way that we can - including trading some players, if that's what it takes
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in 2016

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:38 pm

VetSkinsFan wrote:Power running games bringing in trophies is a thing of the past.

I guess we should just avoid the running back position all together then huh? :D

Like I said in the previous post. Really I just want to emphasize that taking a WR at no. 10 wouldnt be a titanic blunder. I still think it would be a mistake. Thats really all I was saying with that post.

Honestly would it be so bad for the Skins to pick up Ingram at no. 10. The kid has loads of talent. It would not hurt one bit.

You say great running games bringing in trophies are a thing of the past. Well last time I checked we dont have a great QB.
There are also no John Elways available this draft bro. This draft class for QBs is very weak. There are players who needs some major polishing up on there skills. Jake Locker is a player who should be a top prospect but for whatever reason has not lived up to his potential. Not arguing or anything I am just bringing to light the realty and state of the Skins.

Believe me drafting Ingram would bring success to the Skins. It would help alot more then hurt.

You guys are not taking into account the character of the person along with skills. Ingram would be great for this team.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:56 pm

I have no problem with Ingram but I find it hard to believe that we'll be using the #10 pick on him - he will be available and I think he'll be a special RB but we are not taking him at #10

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:22 am

HEROHAMO wrote:
VetSkinsFan wrote:Power running games bringing in trophies is a thing of the past.

I guess we should just avoid the running back position all together then huh? :D

Like I said in the previous post. Really I just want to emphasize that taking a WR at no. 10 wouldnt be a titanic blunder. I still think it would be a mistake. Thats really all I was saying with that post.

Honestly would it be so bad for the Skins to pick up Ingram at no. 10. The kid has loads of talent. It would not hurt one bit.

You say great running games bringing in trophies are a thing of the past. Well last time I checked we dont have a great QB.
There are also no John Elways available this draft bro. This draft class for QBs is very weak. There are players who needs some major polishing up on there skills. Jake Locker is a player who should be a top prospect but for whatever reason has not lived up to his potential. Not arguing or anything I am just bringing to light the realty and state of the Skins.

Believe me drafting Ingram would bring success to the Skins. It would help alot more then hurt.

You guys are not taking into account the character of the person along with skills. Ingram would be great for this team.

Ingram at 10 is a stretch from what I've read.

I don't have the time to keep up with college ball (as I've stated before) so it's hard for me to really get in to the details and have an independent opinion on who to draft where. All I know is what I read usually after January.

I know our largest needs are WR, OLB, C, NT, RB, and QB (I still think Rexy is the 2011 starter). I'm also not speculating we're going to be contenders this year, so I'm cool with the multi-year plan.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Hog

Postby skins2357 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:39 am

VetSkinsFan wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:

I don't have the time to keep up with college ball (as I've stated before) so it's hard for me to really get in to the details and have an independent opinion on who to draft where. All I know is what I read usually after January.

I know our largest needs are WR, OLB, C, NT, RB, and QB (I still think Rexy is the 2011 starter). I'm also not speculating we're going to be contenders this year, so I'm cool with the multi-year plan.
I agree with your assessment of our needs, but I feel Center should be replaced with interior O Line, since if we replace 1 or both Guards, they will likely be our new Center.

I would love to get LG Hudson and and RG Davin Joseph (FA) then let Monty and Lichensteiger battle it out at Center

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:42 am

skins2357 wrote:
VetSkinsFan wrote:
HEROHAMO wrote:

I agree with your assessment of our needs, but I feel Center should be replaced with interior O Line, since if we replace 1 or both Guards, they will likely be our new Center.

I would love to get LG Hudson and and RG Davin Joseph (FA) then let Monty and Lichensteiger battle it out at Center
I can get on board with that. With our needs atm, I just tend to focus on the biggest holes, and I think C is our only desparate need on the line. I kinda liked how it was shaping up at the end of last season.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Hog

Postby skins2357 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:08 am

agreed that they were improving week to week last yr Vet. But I would still love to get atleast 1 new Guard, then whoever is replaced (Lichensteiger or Monty) would battle Rabach for the Center position. I would not even mind keeping Rabach if he can play some Guard too, yea he'd be an expensive backup BUT depth on the O Line is SOOO important.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010