Another Trade Down Idea

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
goskins

Another Trade Down Idea

Postby GoSkins » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:23 pm

OK. I'll throw this one out and see what you guys think.

Trade our 10th (1,300 points)
Receive from NE their 28th (660 points) and their 33rd (580 points)

We give up 60 points but we now have 3 draft picks in the top 41.

With those picks I would go after (in whatever order depending on player availability):

NT Philip Taylor or Kendrick Ellis
QB Ponder or Locker
OLB Akeem Ayers

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:57 pm

NE doesn't have a habit of trading up but just to keep it fun, who would they move up to get?

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:05 pm

Finding a trading partner is the hardest thing to do in the draft... yet, folks toss it out like it's a done deal...

It would be wonderful! But, what's in it for NE??????
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:25 pm

Countertrey wrote:Finding a trading partner is the hardest thing to do in the draft... yet, folks toss it out like it's a done deal...

To help us out...duh
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:36 pm

Countertrey wrote:Finding a trading partner is the hardest thing to do in the draft... yet, folks toss it out like it's a done deal...

They need impact players at OLB, RB, DE as well as at WR... who knows who will be on the board at #10.

Houston, Minnesota, the Jags and a few other teams also are looking for pass rushers, then there's the Rams and Phins needing WR and RB help.

The Pats may want to get in front of them.....

Cameron Jordan, J.J. Watt, Corey Liuget, Robert Quinn, Justin Houston, or even Nick Fairley or Bowers could be there at 10 and won't be at #17. Then again they could be looking at Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, or someone else that's on the board at #10 but gone by 17.

The Bolts and Saints could be looking at the same players the Pats are and would make good alternatives to the Pats

Chargers #18 and #50 or the Saints #24, #56, and #120.

The Saints deal would be the Skins best option IMHO, they could get someone like Jabaal Sheard or Aldon Smith if they are still there and Locker at #41. I wouldn't mind Locker at #24 and Phil Taylor at #41 if it fell that way. The 2nd and 4th round picks total 494 pts on the trade value chart compared to the 318 in total pts lost in draft picks from the McNabb trade and swap of picks for Brown.

It all comes down to who's on the board when Shanny goes on the clock.

FYI: no salary cap numbers means the trade value chart is all I have to keep me busy :( :? :twisted:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Re: Another Trade Down Idea

Postby yupchagee » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:57 pm

GoSkins wrote:OK. I'll throw this one out and see what you guys think.

With those picks I would go after (in whatever order depending on player availability):

QB Ponder or Locker
OLB Akeem Ayers

I'd want them to include their 4th round pick- # 125 47 points.

I read recently that the pukes have received interst for their 1st (#9) so it stands to reason that there would be interest in ours.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:13 am

yupchagee wrote:

QB Ponder or Locker
OLB Akeem Ayers

I read recently that the pukes have received interst for their 1st (#9) so it stands to reason that there would be interest in ours.

I think the Skins should do a bad deal with the Falcons, this deal would cost the team to lose about 72 pts on the DTVC. The Falcons are said to be 1 impact player away and we need picks. We would drop to #27 in round one but would have 2 picks in the second, 1 in the 3rd and 4th rounds, 3 in the 5th, two in the 6th and five in the 7th.

That would be 15 picks in one draft they would have to find at least 3 or 4 players that can play in 2011
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:21 am

I know that trading down has been difficult but with the current 'situation' I would not be surprised to see something different at this draft

I think that Mike has a lot to prove after his first year here and I'm hoping he (& Bruce as well as the talent evaluators) can manage to increase our number of draft picks as much as possible - hell, I hope they start adding to next year's draft picks too - we are more than a good draft away from seeing a decent product on the field in B&G

We need to have a mass overhaul out at Redskins Park and the sooner we start the better
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

goskins

Postby GoSkins » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:17 pm

SkinsJock wrote:I know that trading down has been difficult but with the current 'situation' I would not be surprised to see something different at this draft

I think that Mike has a lot to prove after his first year here and I'm hoping he (& Bruce as well as the talent evaluators) can manage to increase our number of draft picks as much as possible - hell, I hope they start adding to next year's draft picks too - we are more than a good draft away from seeing a decent product on the field in B&G

We need to have a mass overhaul out at Redskins Park and the sooner we start the better

I hope you're right. If we can get 2 starters (OLB and NT) and a future starter (QB) by trading down I'm all for it.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:51 pm

I'n twixt and tween on this - I think that the best thing for the franchise might be to try and get as many picks as we can and IF one of them is a QB, then fine - we really need to add a lot of youth here and start building the chemistry again

IF we trade out of the 10 pick we are going to most likely miss out on Locker - that might not be all bad - It's not like he's the second coming for crying out loud AND he's going to need a bunch of things to go right for him to be really good anyway

going to be an interesting draft - we really need a lot of picks though if we can get them

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Postby yupchagee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:42 pm

1niksder wrote:
yupchagee wrote:

QB Ponder or Locker
OLB Akeem Ayers

I think the Skins should do a bad deal with the Falcons, this deal would cost the team to lose about 72 pts on the DTVC. The Falcons are said to be 1 impact player away and we need picks. We would drop to #27 in round one but would have 2 picks in the second, 1 in the 3rd and 4th rounds, 3 in the 5th, two in the 6th and five in the 7th.

That would be 15 picks in one draft they would have to find at least 3 or 4 players that can play in 2011

I doubt Atlanta would make that trade. Mike Ditka isn't in charge there.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:51 am

It would be wonderful! BUT .....

I agree trey - Trading with a franchise that understands the value of draft picks is not easy - to just 'evaluate' the pick and then assume a franchise will make a 'deal' is just not happening - franchises that trade away draft picks are not normally very good

this is not normal times and it is possible that we might be able to trade down but it is NOT simply a matter of a mathematical equation at all

hopefully this FO and our franchise will make every effort to keep each and every draft pick and where possible add to our draft picks

The franchise is in disarray because of bad management that basically did not understand the value of both the draft and only adding players through free agency that suited what the franchise needed

we need to see this FO start to add as many new, young players as they can - they made some mistakes and they need to stop doing that

as some here have said - formulate a plan and then commit to getting that done - we are not close to having a consistently competitive product on the field each week and it's time to stop running this franchise like the way it has been managed here for over 10 years

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:16 am

NE's coaching and scouting people announced yesterday that the potential for a new Rookie Salary Cap WILL NOT change their draft strategy from what it has been in the past. Assuming this is true there is ZERO chance that the Patriots will be looking to trade UP in the draft, but will rather probably be looking to trade DOWN instead and/or get rid of at least one of their First Round picks, likely the #17 selection.

Hog

Postby Redskins_Fanatic » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:20 am

1niksder wrote:They need impact players at OLB, RB, DE as well as at WR... who knows who will be on the board at #10.

The Patriots do not look for "impact players". They never have. That's part of why I can't stand them. Instead they look for low-priced, semi-talented players who fit their system. Their entire franchise is built on the idea that nobody is irreplacable. Not even Tom Brady.... see the results for the team when Brady was lost during game #1 of the season in 2008 or 2009. An unheralded backup came in and lead them to an 11-5 record. That same guy can't get out of his own way now in KC.

It's all about the SYSTEM in NE. Nothing more. That's why they don't have a lot of "stars" on their team. It isn't the way they do business.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:11 pm

It's really simple - a bunch of no name players playing as a team will always be more successful than a group of stars that don't
Snyder & Cerrato are proof of that :lol:

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010