Redskins Rumored To Be Interested In Trading Up For Gabbert

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Hog

Redskins Rumored To Be Interested In Trading Up For Gabbert

Postby TCIYM » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:44 pm

There is a lot of, well, stuff floating around these days as we are less than two weeks away from the NFL draft. You hear that just about every team wants this player or that one and wants to trade up or down. I literally could spend all day on the keyboard pounding out the latest rumors being floated around.

Certain reports, however, make me stop what I’m doing and take notice. John McClain of the Houston Chronicle is one of the best and most respected NFL reporters out there. He doesn’t just make stuff up or pass along something that he overheard one guy say or anything like that. He’s old school and he’s going to be pretty sure about something before he reports it.

So, when I saw this tidbit I, as noted above, stopped what I was doing and took notice:

I don’t know what they have to offer, but I hear the Redskins are trying like crazy to trade up to get one of the quarterbacks, Blaine Gabbert, I imagine.

This, of course, has all of the elements of the smoke that was discussed here earlier this week. And I’m passing it along only because of who wrote it.

But let’s assume for a moment that it’s true and the Redskins are hell bent on putting Blaine Gabbert in burgundy and gold. What would it take for the Redskins to trade up from tenth overall to a position where they would have a reasonable shot at Gabbert?

The fourth pick could be a good spot from which to pluck Gabbert. If, as predicted, the Panthers take Cam Newton first overall and the Broncos and Bills address other needs, Gabbert could be there when the Bengals draft with the fourth pick. Of course, there is no guarantee that John Elway is happy with Tim Tebow or that the Bills will stick with Ryan Fitzpatrick or that the Bengals will prepare for life without Carson Palmer. But, for the purposes of the exercise here, let’s assume that Newton is available in the fourth slot and that the Redskins want to go get him.

According to the draft value chart, the fourth pick is worth 1,800 points and the tenth is worth 1,300. The 500-point difference is the value of the 40th pick in the draft. The Redskins hold the 41st pick, so one would think that perhaps one of their seventh-rounders to make up the difference might get the deal done.

This doesn’t mean that it would be a good idea. In fact, I’m sure that it is just unanimous that it would be a terrible idea. But, in answer to McClain’s query about what they have to offer, there’s the answer.

What do you think? Should the Redskins trade up to get their QB of the future? More importantly, will they?

Source: RR

:shock:

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Ridiculous thought. It would be just about credible if Gabbert was thought to be a sure thing. But he isn't. No quarterback in this draft is.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:20 pm

sometimes it seems like the media and fans think that we are the same old - haven't got a clue franchise :lol:

as many mistakes as the FO has made in the past year, I don't see these guys giving up a draft basically for a QB - this is not exactly a great QB group either
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:48 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:Ridiculous thought. It would be just about credible if Gabbert was thought to be a sure thing. But he isn't. No quarterback in this draft is.

Ryan Leaf was thought to be a "sure thing" and that didn't turn out so well for the Chargers. There is no such thing as a "sure thing". If the Skins management is convinced that Gabbert or any other qb is going to be able to lead this team for the next ten years then do what you need to do to get him.
Suck and Luck

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:43 pm

"Certain reports, however, make me stop"and, blah, blah, blah...

sounds like Machiavelli is back at work... Let the head games begin.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:04 pm

Countertrey wrote:"Certain reports, however, make me stop"and, blah, blah, blah...

sounds like Machiavelli is back at work... Let the head games begin.

:idea: "Certain reports" had the Redskins and Denver in heavy talks about swapping 1st round picks two weeks ago
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

spudstr04

Postby spudstr04 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Jason LaCanfora and Kara Henderson of NFL Network both report the Redskins are still interested in trading up to the No. 2 spot to land a top quarterback.

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain first reported two weeks ago that the Redskins were "trying like crazy" to deal up. LaCanfora suspects the Redskins could land Mizzou QB Blaine Gabbert by staying put, but has spoken with several GMs who believe they will move up to ensure that they get their man. GM Bruce Allen would have to surrender the majority of his picks to move up eight spots.

Http://www.rotoworld.com

Stupid!
#21 = Forever in our hearts

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:15 pm

If there is any facts to this, I would like to throw up. Gabbert did look great on the board but I don't think this team is ready for a rookie QB.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:43 pm

frankcal20 wrote:If there is any facts to this, I would like to throw up. Gabbert did look great on the board but I don't think this team is ready for a rookie QB.

Do you think that the Rams were more ready for a rookie qb when they drafted Bradford? If the team thinks that there is a qb that can lead the Skins for the next 7, 8, 9, etc., years then they should do what it takes to get him.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:54 pm

Gabbert threw 16 TD's last year. In his defense, they say his WR's sucked.

Just saying though, how many picks would this plan take? How many TD's per pick is that? bahhh

Postby yupchagee » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:04 pm

Highly unlikely. There were comparable rumors last year. We have way to many needs to be trading up.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:07 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:If there is any facts to this, I would like to throw up. Gabbert did look great on the board but I don't think this team is ready for a rookie QB.

Do you think that the Rams were more ready for a rookie qb when they drafted Bradford? If the team thinks that there is a qb that can lead the Skins for the next 7, 8, 9, etc., years then they should do what it takes to get him.

I think that in this year's draft, my gut doesn't tell me there is a ready to go QB like Bradford. I would say that Bradford is a VERY special QB and I didn't see that coming from Gabbert. Just my opinion and if the Skins do pick him, I hope I'm wrong but again, my draft philosophy is always to build the lines first or trade out.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:41 am

I havent checked Gabbert out that much. However to me I have to think what did he do in College? That is where I start. Then take a look at his film and the talent he had around him.

From what I seen I was not that impressed. I mean there wasnt anything that jumped out about Gabbert that really made me want him on the Redskins. On that note the few QBs in College that have stood out to me last year Andrew Luck, Cam Newton and Jake Locker. Obviously Luck is staying for his senior year. Cam Newton has some work to do as far as polishing up on his skills but he has all the physical tools and has that ability to lead a team to wins. Jake Locker also is a great althlete but has a long way to go skill wise.

Trade up for Gabbert? I rather not. Take him at ten? Maybe. Cant say I would be excited nor dissapointed if we took him at ten. Trading up for him would be a mistake.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby fleetus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:13 am

There is not one player in the 1st round worth trading UP for.

Secondly, the Skins are short on picks and long on needs. They should be the last team in the NFL willing to consider trading up.
Build through the draft!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:14 am

HEROHAMO wrote: Trading up for him would be a mistake.

+1
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010