Locker

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:57 pm

No way we should take locker with #10 and I don't think we should trade up from our #2 spot to get him. The only way I'd consider him is if he falls to us at #2. I am willing to risk one draft pick on a risky QB, but if we trade up it's risking multiple picks and we have too many needs to do that
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:38 pm

Does this sound like us:

I'd be comfortable drafting Locker in Round 1 only if I had a veteran starting quarterback whom I could rely on for at least one more year, an owner I know would not push for Locker to play until he was ready and a quarterback coach who knows what's he doing.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft201 ... orbowl0126

What is the probability of this:

Drafting defense at #10 (assuming that Jones is gone) and Shanny jumping back into the 1st round ahead of Seattle to get Locker by giving up the #41 and a pick next year?

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:01 pm

Red_One43 wrote:Does this sound like us:

I'd be comfortable drafting Locker in Round 1 only if I had a veteran starting quarterback whom I could rely on for at least one more year, an owner I know would not push for Locker to play until he was ready and a quarterback coach who knows what's he doing.

Drafting defense at #10 (assuming that Jones is gone) and Shanny jumping back into the 1st round ahead of Seattle to get Locker by giving up the #41 and a pick next year?

With no CBA in place, there may not be a draft next year so those picks will be worth even less than future have been worth in the past. I hope they can find a way to get the "their" QB, after they get a pass rusher of some type without giving up future picks.

The state of this team scream trade down for more picks. Two top 50 picks should help but we get better odds with 3 or 4 top 64 picks (considering the teams track record with the draft) and would be better off if they all pan out.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:15 pm

N.F.L. Draft: Jake Locker, 5th-Ranked Quarterback
By MATT WALDMAN

Locker might be the biggest question mark of this draft. If you examine each of his physical and technical skills, he’s among the top quarterbacks in this class. However, quarterbacking doesn’t take place on a practice field, and those skills need to be well integrated so he can execute in a timely fashion.

This is the rub with Locker: in games he misses wide-open throws or makes less than stellar decisions because he rushes his timing. This is a mental/emotional issue rather than a physical one.

In this sense, Locker reminds me of the former Atlanta Braves pitcher John Smoltz, a fantastic prospect who never put it together until he figured out how to improve the mental side of his game. If Locker can learn to relax the way he mentally approaches the game on the field, he could become the best quarterback in this class.

Locker has solid footwork and a quick release with a delivery in which he effectively transfers the weight in his hips to generate good velocity on passes when he steps into throws. He also can throw with a quick release and accuracy when on the move, rolling left, right, or in a back pedal.

He squares his shoulders to the target and demonstrates a quick release with good enough arm strength to toss the ball deep downfield on time and with touch even when moving to this left. He’s a quick, tough athlete capable of getting positive yards when he breaks the pocket, and he can get outside a defense to make plays on the perimeter as a passer.

Not a bad read
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:44 pm

1niksder wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:Does this sound like us:

With no CBA in place, there may not be a draft next year so those picks will be worth even less than future have been worth in the past. I hope they can find a way to get the "their" QB, after they get a pass rusher of some type without giving up future picks.

The state of this team scream trade down for more picks. Two top 50 picks should help but we get better odds with 3 or 4 top 64 picks (considering the teams track record with the draft) and would be better off if they all pan out.

Excellent point about next years draft choices. That leaves Shanny little ammunition, if any to get back into the first round and thus the probability of my scenario is low.

Let's hope that this doesn't tempt Shanny to go Locker at #10. I still feel either Locker, Dalton or Ponder will be there at #41, so I think that we are safe from that. I can't see where Shanny thinks Locker is THE guy.

Let's also hope that we get a trading partner to trade down.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:59 pm

1niksder wrote:N.F.L. Draft: Jake Locker, 5th-Ranked Quarterback
By MATT WALDMAN

Locker might be the biggest question mark of this draft. If you examine each of his physical and technical skills, he’s among the top quarterbacks in this class. However, quarterbacking doesn’t take place on a practice field, and those skills need to be well integrated so he can execute in a timely fashion.

This is the rub with Locker: in games he misses wide-open throws or makes less than stellar decisions because he rushes his timing. This is a mental/emotional issue rather than a physical one.

In this sense, Locker reminds me of the former Atlanta Braves pitcher John Smoltz, a fantastic prospect who never put it together until he figured out how to improve the mental side of his game. If Locker can learn to relax the way he mentally approaches the game on the field, he could become the best quarterback in this class.

Locker has solid footwork and a quick release with a delivery in which he effectively transfers the weight in his hips to generate good velocity on passes when he steps into throws. He also can throw with a quick release and accuracy when on the move, rolling left, right, or in a back pedal.

He squares his shoulders to the target and demonstrates a quick release with good enough arm strength to toss the ball deep downfield on time and with touch even when moving to this left. He’s a quick, tough athlete capable of getting positive yards when he breaks the pocket, and he can get outside a defense to make plays on the perimeter as a passer.

Not a bad read

Has Locker progressed on his footwork or are we witnessing two differing opinions on the root of the same issue (his inaccuracy)? Good read, indeed. Both reports reach the same overall conclusion - Locker will need to sit for a year.

McShay:
Locker knows he's thinking about his footwork too much and he's robotic with his mechanics. It's not second nature and he's not comfortable like most quarterbacks who are able to just go out and play the game. The bottom line is if you're inconsistent with footwork, you're going to be inconsistent with your accuracy. QB coaches can tell where the ball is going and how well it's thrown by watching a quarterback from the waist down. Watching Locker, his feet are good on one play and then they're not on the next.

Waldman:
Locker has solid footwork and a quick release with a delivery in which he effectively transfers the weight in his hips to generate good velocity on passes when he steps into throws.

Waldman again:

Waldman warning on Locker sounds like boom or bust, but McShay also called him a "project" so the evals are similar.

There will be a contingent of teams that will strongly believe in their ability to develop Locker into a dynamic player, and one can hardly blame them for having this level of optimism – hence the danger.

Does one of "these teams" sound like Shanahan and his belief that he can develop any QB he likes? When is comes to QBs, "Danger" is Mike's middle name.

Postby 1niksder » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Many believed Locker has more upside than Dalton or Ponder, I believe they will be ready to start before Locker. When Shanny drafted Cutler no one saw it coming and everyone knew he wanted a QB, so who knows what next week will bring. They may already have deals in place with teams depending whose on the board at 10.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:05 pm

1niksder wrote:Many believed Locker has more upside than Dalton or Ponder, I believe they will be ready to start before Locker. When Shanny drafted Cutler no one saw it coming and everyone knew he wanted a QB, so who knows what next week will bring. They may already have deals in place with teams depending whose on the board at 10.

I think you are right on with this!

Hog

Postby MDSKINSFAN » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:09 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:No way we should take locker with #10 and I don't think we should trade up from our #2 spot to get him. The only way I'd consider him is if he falls to us at #2. I am willing to risk one draft pick on a risky QB, but if we trade up it's risking multiple picks and we have too many needs to do that

I agree with this. If he some how falls to us in the 2nd it would be great but that doesn't seem likely now. I would like to see us draft a QB in the 2nd round, maybe on Ponder or Dalton.
RIP SEAN TAYLOR #21

Hog

Postby broomboy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:30 am

MDSKINSFAN wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:No way we should take locker with #10 and I don't think we should trade up from our #2 spot to get him. The only way I'd consider him is if he falls to us at #2. I am willing to risk one draft pick on a risky QB, but if we trade up it's risking multiple picks and we have too many needs to do that

I agree with this. If he some how falls to us in the 2nd it would be great but that doesn't seem likely now. I would like to see us draft a QB in the 2nd round, maybe on Ponder or Dalton.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... bel_042511

This guy compares him to favre! Also notes a NT we should take a look at.

Interesting read.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:39 am

An interesting read.

“Everybody says he’s inaccurate,” Razzano said as Locker completed an intermediate pass against USC on the TV behind him. “He’s not – he throws a great ball! It’s a low-percentage offense. There’s never anybody open underneath, and he’s got no protection. You can see it if you look closely enough. People are stupid.
Suck and Luck

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:58 am

LOL@"people are stupid"
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Postby yupchagee » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:50 pm

MDSKINSFAN wrote:

Jurrell Casey #91
Defensive Tackle

Height: 6-foot-1
Weight: 305 pounds

Positives: Surprising quickness and bend for a 300-pounder. Good strength. Can dig in vs. the double-team and generate a push as a rusher. Can work his hands and feet in unison and flashes a swim move. Chases hard in pursuit. Seldom on the ground. Hits like a ton of bricks. Good awareness. Lined up at both interior spots.

Negatives: Lacks ideal height and has a dumpy-looking body (28 percent body fat) with small hands, tapered legs and thin calves. Inconsistent leverage — gets moved off the spot when he lets his pads rise. Plays short-armed and does not consistently gain separation. Does not play with pop in his hands or accelerate off blocks. Motor runs hot and cold. Limited hip flexibility to work the edges. Average range. Could stand to improve conditioning and stamina.

Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:59 pm

broomboy wrote:
MDSKINSFAN wrote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... bel_042511

This guy compares him to favre! Also notes a NT we should take a look at.

Interesting read.

Interesting need indeed. I wonder if Mike is familiar with this scout.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:55 am

Jake Locker in the Senior Bowl is the same as he was in his college career. Inaccurate.

Jake Locker just has amazing physical attributes. Hes fast, quick, good size and has a cannon for an arm. He needs a whole lot of work. He also played with sub par talent in college years with suspect coaching as well. I am not making excuses for him. Anyhow anyone who has kept track of him shouldn't be surprised by the way he looks during senior bowl practices.

The hope is that if Shanny drafts Locker he can coach him up to be great. What I like about Jake is he has a whole lot of potential. In my opinion worth the risk of drafting him. With Shanahans history with QBs combined with all the positives Locker has. That minimizes the chances of failure if we do draft Locker.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010