how a Browns draft day could hurt Washingtons day Thursday

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

how a Browns draft day could hurt Washingtons day Thursday

Postby NFLDraftfan » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:59 pm

ive been thinking about this for a few days, Browns GM Tom Heckart said he has 2 guys he is targetting at 6, most think AJ Green and Patrick Peterson. What if both are gone? Cleveland could make a draft deal with Dallas so they could get Quinn or Fairley ahead of SF and Tenn and improve their Pass Rush, Cleveland could trade down and target Alabama WR Julio Jones at 9 which takes Jones off the board for Washington who most think is their #1 Target and would be a HUGE help. it also takes away Washingtons chance of trading with say St. Louis so they would be able to jump up and get Jones. OR Cleveland could just take Jones at 6

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:13 pm

I don't know that it's accurate to say that the Redskins are "targeting" Jones... it's more likely that they recognize that he may be the best player available who also meets a need. I suspect their preferrence would be to trade down for picks. If they can't find a trading partner, and Jones is the best on the board, there is an excellent chance that they take him. There are a number of other needs that could be filled with one of several of the top players.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:32 pm

I'd agree - We have many needs and having Jones "available" at #10 is just a fantastic opportunity for us to be able to trade the pick - I would say that the best thing for Washington is to have Jones available at #10 just so we can trade the pick :lol:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:13 pm

Nailed it guys. That's exactly what I was thinking. There are so many high calibre players in this year's draft that I think that we're actually lucky b/c no matter what we do with the 10th pick, we're set to go regardless. Trade down, best player available, etc. Will be anxiously awaiting the pick this Thurs night.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: how a Browns draft day could hurt Washingtons day Thursd

Postby 1niksder » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:44 pm

NFLDraftfan wrote:ive been thinking about this for a few days, Browns GM Tom Heckart said he has 2 guys he is targetting at 6, most think AJ Green and Patrick Peterson. What if both are gone? Cleveland could make a draft deal with Dallas so they could get Quinn or Fairley ahead of SF and Tenn and improve their Pass Rush, Cleveland could trade down and target Alabama WR Julio Jones at 9 which takes Jones off the board for Washington who most think is their #1 Target and would be a HUGE help. it also takes away Washingtons chance of trading with say St. Louis so they would be able to jump up and get Jones. OR Cleveland could just take Jones at 6

All reports have Ttit trying to trade down... :? :?
Many reports have Fairley off their board as of last week :shock: :shock: :shock:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:49 am

Don't forget their issues in the secondary. My gut say's they draft prince or the LT from USC.

Hog

Postby fleetus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:17 am

NFLDraftfan wrote:ive been thinking about this for a few days, Browns GM Tom Heckart said he has 2 guys he is targetting at 6, most think AJ Green and Patrick Peterson. What if both are gone? Cleveland could make a draft deal with Dallas so they could get Quinn or Fairley ahead of SF and Tenn and improve their Pass Rush, Cleveland could trade down and target Alabama WR Julio Jones at 9 which takes Jones off the board for Washington who most think is their #1 Target and would be a HUGE help. it also takes away Washingtons chance of trading with say St. Louis so they would be able to jump up and get Jones. OR Cleveland could just take Jones at 6

MOST analysts think Tyron Smith is a lock for the Cowboys at #9. If you're theory becomes reality, then Tyron Smith would not be drafted by the Cowboys and would be a top 10 graded player who could plug right in as RT. Having two young bookend OT's with lots of upside would definitely allow this offense to develop nicely.
Build through the draft!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:56 am

fleetus wrote:

MOST analysts think Tyron Smith is a lock for the Cowboys at #9. If you're theory becomes reality, then Tyron Smith would not be drafted by the Cowboys and would be a top 10 graded player who could plug right in as RT. Having two young bookend OT's with lots of upside would definitely allow this offense to develop nicely.

I think that's the key, no matter what anyone does, more then 9 guys can't be gone before we pick. Whoever is picked up we're interested in means someone else we didn't think would be there when we pick will be and we have so many needs I don't see how we can end up without a player we like at a position we need no matter what the Browns or anyone else do.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby fleetus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:48 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
fleetus wrote:

I think that's the key, no matter what anyone does, more then 9 guys can't be gone before we pick. Whoever is picked up we're interested in means someone else we didn't think would be there when we pick will be and we have so many needs I don't see how we can end up without a player we like at a position we need no matter what the Browns or anyone else do.

I agree. unfortunately, the Skins have lots of needs. So the chances that we end up in a situation where there isn't anyone available who would greatly help us is NOT very likely.

I hope we can trade down and add picks to fill more needs, but if we stay at #10, someone will be there.

Julio Jones
JJ Watt
Tyron Smith
Robert Quinn
and several others.
Build through the draft!

08 Champ

Re: the Browns draft affecting the Redskins draft

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:50 am

NO affect AT ALL - I agree with Kaz

KazooSkinsFan wrote: I think that's the key, no matter what anyone does, more than 9 guys can't be gone before we pick. Whoever is picked up .. means someone else we didn't think would be there when we pick will be - we have so many needs I don't see how we can end up without a player we like at a position we need no matter what the Browns or anyone else do.

IF we have to take a player with that pick it's hard to imagine that player will not help this franchise for years to come based on our needs and the depth of talent available this year - I'll say it again = this is a deep draft at a lot of positions that this franchise needs

I just hope we can trade out of the pick and bring in more players OR add to next year's draft as well :lol:

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:32 am

SkinsJock wrote:NO affect AT ALL - I agree with Kaz

KazooSkinsFan wrote: I think that's the key, no matter what anyone does, more than 9 guys can't be gone before we pick. Whoever is picked up .. means someone else we didn't think would be there when we pick will be - we have so many needs I don't see how we can end up without a player we like at a position we need no matter what the Browns or anyone else do.

IF we have to take a player with that pick it's hard to imagine that player will not help this franchise for years to come based on our needs and the depth of talent available this year - I'll say it again = this is a deep draft at a lot of positions that this franchise needs

I just hope we can trade out of the pick and bring in more players OR add to next year's draft as well :lol:

It'll be nice if someone loves Julius Jones or someone available and gives us a Ditka offer we can't refuse. But realistically more teams want to trade down then up so while we can hope for a good offer, we need to be prepared to use the pick. I hope we go with the best player and not just try to plug the top hole, which is a good way to end up without a quality player at any position.

For example, WR isn't what I'd pick #1 on my wish list, but if the coaches like JJ better then the players at other needs I'd rather take the better player then fill the bigger need.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby fleetus » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:46 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:NO affect AT ALL - I agree with Kaz

It'll be nice if someone loves Julius Jones or someone available and gives us a Ditka offer we can't refuse. But realistically more teams want to trade down then up so while we can hope for a good offer, we need to be prepared to use the pick. I hope we go with the best player and not just try to plug the top hole, which is a good way to end up without a quality player at any position.

I think more teams want to trade down every year because most of them believe there is better value trading down. The main reason teams trade UP is out of desperation. They EITHER convince themselves they HAVE to have that one player, OR their team sucks so they are more willing to gamble that they'll catch lightning in a bottle and find that one player who can turn things around.

Regarding the Rams trading up, I think there is a chance. Bradford is their franchise player and they don't have much talent at WR to compliment Stephen Jackson. They traded with the Skins last year and HAslett used to be their H Coach. So there are lines of communication between these two teams. Moving up from 14 to 10 would cost EXACTLY the Rams 3rd round pick (#78) according to the value chart. So it makes a lot of sense IF Julio Jones is still available.
Build through the draft!

Postby yupchagee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:21 pm

fleetus wrote:

#10 is too early for a RT.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:39 pm

yupchagee wrote:
fleetus wrote:

#10 is too early for a RT.

I agree unless it's the right right tackle, and I think Tryon Smith would be a great pick at #10. I wouldn't go for any other tackles though at #10 because there's no other RT worth that and I don't want to force a LT to play right when he's not going to be happy. But Tryon isn't just a quality tackle, he's one with a good attitude willing to play where we need him. But like most of the other guys I wouldn't trade up to get him, but if we get him at #10 I'd be thrilled to have two quality tackles to build our line around the next decade and interior linemen are just a lot easier to get.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:23 pm

fleetus wrote:MOST analysts think Tyron Smith is a lock for the Cowboys at #9. If you're theory becomes reality, then Tyron Smith would not be drafted by the Cowboys and would be a top 10 graded player whom we could plug right in as RT. Having two young bookend OT's with lots of upside would definitely allow this offense to develop nicely.

there is no way we are drafting ANY player ANYTIME based on what "MOST analysts think" - NEVER, EVER, EVER

these guys will make the choice based on EVERYTHING but what other "experts" or "analysts" think

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010