Mallett

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.
Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:41 am

fleetus wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:I think it's funny that people have concerns about Mallet's character and off the field issues with drinking.

John Riggins showed up drunk to team meetings and pulled three chairs together once to take a nap during one. In the locker room once he passed out and pissed all over himself.

People thought it was charming, but nowadays that sort of behavior would have had him cut immediately. He would never have made it in this kind of 24 hour news cycle.

Who cares is Mallet is a partier? If he shows up on game days, that's all I care about.

Still want Dalton though. :)

John Riggins wasn't the QB either. and for all of Riggins antics, I don't recall him getting arrested, going to trial or jail.

In addition, in this day and age, players, especially franchise QB's are expected to practice hard and study the offense dilligently. If your franchise QB is out on a binge, your complicated offensive scheme goes on the shelf too.

Agreed. But I think that some of the stuff about Mallet has been way overblown. If you watched the Gruden qb camp episode with Mallet, the guy has a very good grasp of a pro-style offense, and he was just partying and blowing off his responsibilities, that wouldn't be the case. He also, as far as I know, has never been suspended and his arrest was for public intoxication, which is not uncommon at all among college kids. I think that a lot of the negative stuff about him has been other agents trying to lower his stock to help their own players.
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:46 am

A college kid that DRINKS? I don't want that guy on my team!

8)
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:33 pm

fleetus wrote:John Riggins wasn't the QB either. and for all of Riggins antics, I don't recall him getting arrested, going to trial or jail.

Actually, I attended one of his trials.

WIKI:

On May 7, 1992, Riggins was arrested in Arlington, Virginia and charged with driving while intoxicated. He was taken to the Arlington County jail - brought before Virginia Magistrate Daniel J Aragona - arraigned and released later that day. He was also charged by police for refusing to take a breath or blood test following his arrest and spent several hours in the Arlington County jail before being released on $750 bond. He was acquitted of both charges, the judge finding that there was no probable cause to even have him stopped and charged.

I guess he was done with football by then.

The trial I attended in 1985 concerned a "drunk in public" arrest in Reston, VA. Riggins was being driven home by his chauffeur who stopped the car so Riggo could take a leak. This case was dismissed.

I'd love to have a QB just like him.

I guess I'd tell the draftniks afraid of Mallet to "loosen up" if you know what I'm sayin'.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby fleetus » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:52 pm

Darth, whatever, doesn't change my point at all. QB's are held to a higher standard. And modern day players are scrutinized much more than in Riggins day.

I think Mallett is falling down the board, not because of drinking, but A) because of rumors of cocaine use along with the drinking. More importantly, B) he choked against Alabama and didn't look very decisive against Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. His draft stock is tied mostly to his arm strength. He is not very mobile. and his accuracy is not stellar. Add the character concerns to his 2nd round grade and you get a 3rd round QB.

I wouldn't mind it if the Skins draft him, I just hope they don't waste one of their 2nd rounders on him. If they trade down from one of the 2nd round picks, then maybe he would be a good pick in the late 2nd, or 3rd round.
Build through the draft!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:02 pm

fleetus wrote:Darth, whatever, doesn't change my point at all. QB's are held to a higher standard. And modern day players are scrutinized much more than in Riggins day.

I think Mallett is falling down the board, not because of drinking, but A) because of rumors of cocaine use along with the drinking. More importantly, B) he choked against Alabama and didn't look very decisive against Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. His draft stock is tied mostly to his arm strength. He is not very mobile. and his accuracy is not stellar. Add the character concerns to his 2nd round grade and you get a 3rd round QB.

I wouldn't mind it if the Skins draft him, I just hope they don't waste one of their 2nd rounders on him. If they trade down from one of the 2nd round picks, then maybe he would be a good pick in the late 2nd, or 3rd round.

He'll be there at #41 but I hope they go defense or trade down to get a 3rd AND 4th round picks (even if the Skins have to throw a 7th rd pick). Maybe at #49 if the only 3rd rounder they can get is in the the lower half of the round. If Dalton is there at #41 they should take him, and trade out of #49.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

-----------

Postby Smithian » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:06 pm

I was trying to ignore this thread, but that was just too much. Comeon Fleetus...

I think Mallett is falling down the board, not because of drinking, but A) because of rumors of cocaine use along with the drinking. He did cocaine? Really? You think some guy shooting up cocaine and other hard drugs could play for Bobby Petrino at the level he did? It's a stupid rumor. Hell, the guy probably smoked weed, but lots of athletes do. Remember he never failed a drug test. You can't be a crackhead and run the Bobby Petrino offense. It's a deep, complex, pro style offense where the QB is relied on to run the offense. Heck, Mallett was one of extremely few if not the only college QB in the nation who was completely alone making audibles at the LOS. Every other school ran "check with me" stuff. Not Arkansas. Apparently crackheads can run our offense.

More importantly, B) he choked against Alabama O RLY? Our O-Line got decimated that day and we had zero run game. They were bringing the house all day. Name me a QB who against the #1 team in the nation didn't scream up with the defense bringing all the heat they could every play while the run game tapped out. Comeon bud! Name me the perfect QB! Name me the QB who never had a bad game! Comeon! Do it!

and didn't look very decisive against Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. Yeah, you didn't watch that game. You missed our WRs, most specifically Joe Adams, crap themselves. Joe Adams had decided to go pro before that game. He is back for a reason. I guess you missed the first play where Mallett threw a perfect pass that should have been a touchdown but was dropped. Our WRs dropped 3 or 4 sure TDs that day and I'm not even counting 50/50 passes. Also, the bad character crackhead lead a comeback in the second half that he almost finished (there would have been no interception if, again, our guys caught passes.). Also, you must have missed the undecisive, bad leader Ryan Mallett pull the whole team together on the sideline before the 4th quarter and give them a pep talk.

His draft stock is tied mostly to his arm strength. And maybe the fact he took a team to a Sugar Bowl two years after we went 5-7. Or maybe his 7,496 yards thrown past couple years. Maybe it was the 62 TDs in that time period. It could have been his numerous 50 yard bombs to wideouts on the run. Maybe the 350 yard "bad days" of passing. It could have been big cajone throws like the 39 yard touchdown pass on 4th and short against LSU. But nah, you're right. 90% of his draft stock is his arm strength.

He is not very mobile. He has the mobility of a Peyton Manning. He won't be running. Yet Arkansas shredded defenses on bootlegs by Mallett. He is mobile enough to run a pro style offense.

and his accuracy is not stellar. He's not the most accurate guy ever but you don't draft a guy like Ryan Mallett to run the West Coast offense. You bring him in to throw bombs and lead an explosive offense. Having said that, don't act like he is Jamarcus Russell. His accuracy has improved as he has gotten older. As a freshman at Michigan, 43.3%. As a sophomore at Arkansas, 55.8%. As a junior, 64.7%. That is pretty darn good accuracy for an offense where plenty of throws are deep bombs that fall incomplete. He has shown a definite trend of improvement.

Add the character concerns to his 2nd round grade and you get a 3rd round QB. He was the undisputed leader of a team that went to the BCS Bowl and he dealt with a coach who rode his butt harder than any other coach/QB combination in the nation. Yeah, the guy is cocky. He also doesn't kiss butt like Cam Newton. I don't care how he deals with the media if his teammates follow him. Make no doubt Arkansas players thought he was cocky, but they also knew when he put the helmet on that it was time for business and he gave them a dang good chance to win football games.

I am with Dan Patrick on this one. There has been a vicious smear campaign against Ryan Mallett and I don't know why. The guy isn't perfect but he is a darn good QB and he'll make 31 teams look extremely dumb for passing on him.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:16 pm

Smithian wrote:I was trying to ignore this thread, but that was just too much. Comeon Fleetus...

I think Mallett is falling down the board, not because of drinking, but A) because of rumors of cocaine use along with the drinking. He did cocaine? Really? You think some guy shooting up cocaine and other hard drugs could play for Bobby Petrino at the level he did? It's a stupid rumor. Hell, the guy probably smoked weed, but lots of athletes do. Remember he never failed a drug test. You can't be a crackhead and run the Bobby Petrino offense. It's a deep, complex, pro style offense where the QB is relied on to run the offense. Heck, Mallett was one of extremely few if not the only college QB in the nation who was completely alone making audibles at the LOS. Every other school ran "check with me" stuff. Not Arkansas. Apparently crackheads can run our offense.

More importantly, B) he choked against Alabama O RLY? Our O-Line got decimated that day and we had zero run game. They were bringing the house all day. Name me a QB who against the #1 team in the nation didn't scream up with the defense bringing all the heat they could every play while the run game tapped out. Comeon bud! Name me the perfect QB! Name me the QB who never had a bad game! Comeon! Do it!

and didn't look very decisive against Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. Yeah, you didn't watch that game. You missed our WRs, most specifically Joe Adams, crap themselves. Joe Adams had decided to go pro before that game. He is back for a reason. I guess you missed the first play where Mallett threw a perfect pass that should have been a touchdown but was dropped. Our WRs dropped 3 or 4 sure TDs that day and I'm not even counting 50/50 passes. Also, the bad character crackhead lead a comeback in the second half that he almost finished (there would have been no interception if, again, our guys caught passes.). Also, you must have missed the undecisive, bad leader Ryan Mallett pull the whole team together on the sideline before the 4th quarter and give them a pep talk.

His draft stock is tied mostly to his arm strength. And maybe the fact he took a team to a Sugar Bowl two years after we went 5-7. Or maybe his 7,496 yards thrown past couple years. Maybe it was the 62 TDs in that time period. It could have been his numerous 50 yard bombs to wideouts on the run. Maybe the 350 yard "bad days" of passing. It could have been big cajone throws like the 39 yard touchdown pass on 4th and short against LSU. But nah, you're right. 90% of his draft stock is his arm strength.

He is not very mobile. He has the mobility of a Peyton Manning. He won't be running. Yet Arkansas shredded defenses on bootlegs by Mallett. He is mobile enough to run a pro style offense.

and his accuracy is not stellar. He's not the most accurate guy ever but you don't draft a guy like Ryan Mallett to run the West Coast offense. You bring him in to throw bombs and lead an explosive offense. Having said that, don't act like he is Jamarcus Russell. His accuracy has improved as he has gotten older. As a freshman at Michigan, 43.3%. As a sophomore at Arkansas, 55.8%. As a junior, 64.7%. That is pretty darn good accuracy for an offense where plenty of throws are deep bombs that fall incomplete. He has shown a definite trend of improvement.

Add the character concerns to his 2nd round grade and you get a 3rd round QB. He was the undisputed leader of a team that went to the BCS Bowl and he dealt with a coach who rode his butt harder than any other coach/QB combination in the nation. Yeah, the guy is cocky. He also doesn't kiss butt like Cam Newton. I don't care how he deals with the media if his teammates follow him. Make no doubt Arkansas players thought he was cocky, but they also knew when he put the helmet on that it was time for business and he gave them a dang good chance to win football games.

I am with Dan Patrick on this one. There has been a vicious smear campaign against Ryan Mallett and I don't know why. The guy isn't perfect but he is a darn good QB and he'll make 31 teams look extremely dumb for passing on him.

I'm thinking you like this guy :D
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:18 pm

Smithian wrote:I was trying to ignore this thread, but that was just too much. Comeon Fleetus...

=D> Owned
Suck and Luck

Postby 1niksder » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:37 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:

=D> Owned

Yeah but Shanny doesn't like him.....

He wasn't brought in for a visit....

Didn't hold any private workouts....
No dinners....
No public interest what so ever....

That just how he went about selecting Jay C....

What was I posting about :?: :D
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby fleetus » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:50 pm

and at #53 Mallett is still available...

Sensitive Nellie Smithian, sorry I spoke the truth too harshly. Obviously you have some man-love for Mallett. :lol: I watched both games completely and no he did not play exceptionally well in either. Make whatever excuses you want for him but his two biggest games were not his best.

Still, he's a decent QB. Just not the blue chip that some made him out to be. Nothing wrong with that. If he lands with the right team he could develop into a great player. Who thought Tom Brady would develop when they drafted him in the 6th round? Mallett will go where he deserves to go, late 2nd-3rd round where he will have plenty opportunity to show what he can do.
Build through the draft!

Hog

Postby funbuncher » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:17 pm

fleetus wrote:and at #53 Mallett is still available...

Sensitive Nellie Smithian, sorry I spoke the truth too harshly. Obviously you have some man-love for Mallett. :lol: I watched both games completely and no he did not play exceptionally well in either. Make whatever excuses you want for him but his two biggest games were not his best.

Still, he's a decent QB. Just not the blue chip that some made him out to be. Nothing wrong with that. If he lands with the right team he could develop into a great player. Who thought Tom Brady would develop when they drafted him in the 6th round? Mallett will go where he deserves to go, late 2nd-3rd round where he will have plenty opportunity to show what he can do.

You're ignorant about Mallett, and you will eat your words.

swine

Postby SkinsFTW » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:34 pm

Who would have guessed, the Pats take him.

Now when Brady gets hurt he'll win, then later get traded for multiple draft picks. Likely 1st and 2nd rounders.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:12 pm

The Pats drafted him to trade him.

Ok, we went through day one and didn't get a QB. Who is the future at the position?
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

swine

Postby SkinsFTW » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:19 pm

Smithian wrote:The Pats drafted him to trade him.

Ok, we went through day one and didn't get a QB. Who is the future at the position?

We went through day 1 and day 2, have been on the clock like 8 times and still picked no QB. With the option, we didn't draft Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick, Mallet, etc.

I think it's obvious the intention by now. Grossman is the guy, maybe with Devlin or McElroy in 3rd spot behind Beck.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:45 am

The only thing I take from the QBs in this draft is that there were no sure fire franchise QBs out there - Newton was selected by Carolina but I think that most everyone thought Gabbert was the better QB - both are not certain to be great QBs

We didn't pick up a QB mainly because there was nobody there that really excited these guys and they started trading down and adding draft picks and we now have 10 more picks to go

The QB situation is VERY important but you have to give this FO credit for trying to address a lot of needs with this draft and we still should see some free agents added here as well

right now the QB question remains with Beck signed and Grossman as a possibility - McNabb is surely gone ....
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010