The Draft?

Archive of discussions on NFL Draft 2003, NFL Draft 2004, NFL Draft 2005, NFL Draft 2006, NFL Draft 2007 NFL Draft 2008, NFL Draft 2009 and NFL Draft 2010.

Was this a good draft?

Yes, the FO laid the groundwork for future years.
88%
No, they should have grabbed a QB at #10.
13%

Total votes : 24
One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Wed May 18, 2011 1:55 pm

5. Dejon Gomes - D I think we could have gone in a different direction then S. I think it was a reach and he plays a position where we have depth. Although he will be a ST guy, and is a true SS, something we dont have behind LL.

Horton, Doughty, and Landry are all SS... it's FS we were weak at last year. Now we haev Otagwe and maybe Moore can continue to learn behind him. I didn't think Barnes did that bad at FS considering he is a CB and little NFL experience.
...any given Sunday....

RIP #21 Sean Taylor. You will be loved and adored by Redskins fans forever!!!!!

GSPODS:
The National Anthem sucks.
What a useless piece of propagandist rhetoric that is.

Hog

Postby skins2357 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:01 pm

You might be able to make an argument for Reed, but it seems to me that these guys you mentioned ALL played FS and SS. IMO, we have a bunch of FS who we try to move to SS too. Reed is the only guy you could argue that plays SS similarly to LL (in the box)
Mike/Bruce - If your going to spring big this year in Free Agency, please spring big on offensive lineman! I cant watch Rabach anymore!

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Thu May 19, 2011 2:52 pm

skins2357 wrote:You might be able to make an argument for Reed, but it seems to me that these guys you mentioned ALL played FS and SS. IMO, we have a bunch of FS who we try to move to SS too. Reed is the only guy you could argue that plays SS similarly to LL (in the box)

I already said Otagwe and Moore were FS. Horton was drafted as a strong safety from UCLA. We had a failed experiment with Landry at FS when ST passed. Barnes I said did alright at FS.

I don't quite know who you were saying I said was a SS but you argue is a FS...
...any given Sunday....

GSPODS:

Postby yupchagee » Sat May 21, 2011 10:56 pm

The way I see it, we went into the draft with our biggest neess being QB, NT & interior OL. We cam out of the draft with our biggest needs being QB, NT & interior OL.

Based on the boards I've seen, we reached for Jenkins, Helu, Gomes & Royster.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:23 pm

I have no idea why we didn't take a guard in the second.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun May 22, 2011 1:51 pm

brad7686 wrote:I have no idea why we didn't take a guard in the second.

We are looking at free agency to feel that need. Davin Joseph, Tampa Bay, a Bruse Allen draftee, might be a target. Of course, all of this is contingent on a new CBA - I understand that Davin is not eligible under the old rules.

One Step Away

Postby VetSkinsFan » Mon May 23, 2011 7:07 am

Maybe they see it as some of us did and want to give the Oline that improved as the year went on a chance and focus on other needs.
...any given Sunday....

GSPODS:

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon May 23, 2011 9:35 am

VetSkinsFan wrote:Maybe they see it as some of us did and want to give the Oline that improved as the year went on a chance and focus on other needs.

Yes, it's all an iterative process
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Postby yupchagee » Fri May 27, 2011 8:36 pm

I agree. Either Orlando Franklin or Ben Ijalana.
Skins fan since '55

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat May 28, 2011 9:10 am

yupchagee wrote:

If Jenkins ends up being a good pick then a 3-4 D lineman fills a big hole, and one that's a lot harder to fill then a guard
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sat May 28, 2011 11:51 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
yupchagee wrote:

If Jenkins ends up being a good pick then a 3-4 D lineman fills a big hole, and one that's a lot harder to fill then a guard

How do you figure its harder to fill than guard? Especially for us, when we probly have three or four guys that can play there already, and no guards that are worth a crap.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat May 28, 2011 12:37 pm

brad7686 wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
yupchagee wrote:

How do you figure its harder to fill than guard? Especially for us, when we probly have three or four guys that can play there already, and no guards that are worth a crap.

You need two DE's to start, one is Carriker. Who is the other out of your three or four guys you say we already have? Having back ups in starting positions does not work. Golston? - Back up. Jarmon? Couldn't beat out Golston. Daniels? Holliday? Those two are not the future of this team. Guard not worth a crap? The O line improved a lot during the season and also let's keep in mind free agency hasn't played out yet, so picking A guard is not the answer. Picking THE right guard is the answer.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat May 28, 2011 12:47 pm

brad7686 wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
yupchagee wrote:

By easier to fill I meant on the market, not already on the team. Signing good DL's is hard and expensive, signing guards isn't. At least not comparatively. Interior linemen don't have to be as good as Tackles or DLs in a 3-4.

Postby yupchagee » Sat May 28, 2011 8:06 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
brad7686 wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
yupchagee wrote:

You need two DE's to start, one is Carriker. Who is the other out of your three or four guys you say we already have? Having back ups in starting positions does not work. Golston? - Back up. Jarmon? Couldn't beat out Golston. Daniels? Holliday? Those two are not the future of this team. Guard not worth a crap? The O line improved a lot during the season and also let's keep in mind free agency hasn't played out yet, so picking A guard is not the answer. Picking THE right guard is the answer.

Remember Jarmon was 1st moved to LB so he lost a lot of weight, then back to DE so he gained a lot of weight. Also he was comong off a majot injury & it frequently takes more than a yr to get back to 100%. He will be a very good player.
Skins fan since '55

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:08 pm

yupchagee wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
brad7686 wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
yupchagee wrote:

Remember Jarmon was 1st moved to LB so he lost a lot of weight, then back to DE so he gained a lot of weight. Also he was comong off a majot injury & it frequently takes more than a yr to get back to 100%. He will be a very good player.

Good points. Settling into one position and being at 100%. This could be Jarmon's breakout year. I still like the Jenkins pick because the coaches say he is a fit for what they want to do. I trust that they didn't pick a guard because they saw a priority in getting the right players to fix the 31st ranked defense. No knock intended for Golsotn either. He is a high motor guy who is a good special teamer.

Return to NFL Draft 2003-2010