Spurrier - dumb comments

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:37 pm

skinsfaninroanoke wrote:Ever heard their coach speak - that man could light a church up any day he wanted to retire from football - and he wouldn't need electricity to do it.

Personally, I think Herm's a jerk. But that's just me.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Spurrier just yet. I don't put all of the blame on him. He's got a O-line coach who probably would have the Hogs giving up 7 sacks per game. That guy can't coach his way out of a wet paper sack.

Then you've got an owner who tries his best to be Jerrah. Only difference between him and Jerrah is that Jerrah knows enough about football to do a respectable job. He also lets his coach do his job (and I *HATE* Jerrah). As much as I hate seeing Jerrah strolling the sidelines, at least he is doing it more as a cheerleader. If THE-DANNY were to do the same, he'd probably be taking Steve's headset and calling plays. I would even bet my house that Snyder has checked into getting some device that would allow him to conference-call to Ramsay's helmet while Spurrier is giving him the play!

The problem ain't Spurrier! The problem is the midget in the luxury box and his evil minion (Mini-Me), Vinny Cerrato!!

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:23 pm

I disagree, but that is my opinion. I still think the man went out and spent 5 mil a year to bring in someone who could turn the offense around and the man is not working out and isn't adjusting. Spurrier is the one looking like an idiot on the sidelines
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby redskincity » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:05 pm

I disagree, The owner is the right man for the job. He brings in the players that the coaches want. He wants to win just like the fans. :up: Guest.
• NFL Championships
1937, 1942, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Conference Championships
1936, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1943, 1945, 1972, 1982, 1983, 1987, 1991
• Division Championships
1972, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1999,
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:20 pm

redskincity wrote:I disagree, The owner is the right man for the job. He brings in the players that the coaches want. He wants to win just like the fans. :up: Guest.

I'm hoping that somehow I'm missing sarcasm ..

The owner obviously wants to win. I think on occasion he's made the right move, personnell-wise. But then he goes and gets the coach *HE* wanted, and at every turn he pulls the rug out from under 'im! Bringing in consultants is the worst way of telling your coach that "you have no clue, so I'm bringing some SMART people in to help."

Is it too much to ask for the owner to let the coach, coach?!

Hog

Postby redskincity » Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:30 pm

I wasn't laughing when giving the board my opinion. So.... whatever. The power of positive thinking :D

Guest, cause and effect, prompted the Owner to do what he had to do. We are doing worst with better players. :roll:

What are the coaches doing to prevent such embarrassment :wink:
• NFL Championships
• Division Championships
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:38 pm

redskincity wrote:I wasn't laughing when giving the board my opinion. So.... whatever. The power of positive thinking :D

Guest, cause and effect, prompted the Owner to do what he had to do. We are doing worst with better players. :roll:

What are the coaches doing to prevent such embarrassment :wink:

The key event of this whole season is when Snyder showed a lack of trust in his $5million coach by siding with Mini-Me in cutting Wuerffel! What a **DUMB** decision THAT was! The arrogance (again!) of Snyder that "it's okay .. Wuerffel will be sitting by the phone just waiting for us to call." That, I think, will be the one thing that started the downward spiral in the Spurrier era!

I will say it til I turn BLUE! Snyder is THE problem!! This coaching staff doesn't even have trust in their head coach because he doesn't have the trust of the owner. How many times do we have to watch this owner undermine his coach-of-the-week?!

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:54 pm

You can keep saying it and there is nothing to be done about it. If that is the way you feel, so be it, but I feel like it is wasted energy.

The owner has tried - people suggested Marty - he came in and wreaked havoc trading away people who are good starters on other teams... no - scratch that... he didn't get anything for 'em - he released them. He pissed off the players and we went 0-5. The defense wasn't good and the offense looked almost as bad as now.

People thought, and dammit I know I read hundreds of "OH HELL YEAH" posts on many different boards when Spurrier was hired, that Snyder did a great thing hiring Spurrier. Oh, but now, after hiring him, bringing in tons of talent that the coach wanted.... it is all HIS fault that the coach looks like a ninny and doesn't have a clue that his system won't work versus the NFL's speed?

I don't care who says it. Snyder may muddle into things sometimes, but Spurrier is at fault for the system, the defensive coordinator and the problems with the team as we speak. To tell me the owner, with obvious pain in his eyes, watching the game from the owner's box in Dallas is the one with the problems when Spurrier looks lost on the sidelines - whatever.
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby redskincity » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:02 pm

:D The Man :D well written :up:
• NFL Championships
• Division Championships
• All-Time Record:
515-465-27

Postby Riggo » Tue Nov 04, 2003 10:54 pm

(BTW -- those posts were from me -- I wasn't logged in when I posted them)

I didn't say that we could do anything about the owner. I'm not stupid. I also don't have ~$1Billion laying around to buy the team.

**BUT**

I also think that you're giving too much credit to Snyder. You're in effect saying that he has done everything right, and has followed good advice. I disagree. I think that Snyder does what (arrogant) Snyder wants! Has he made some good moves? Absolutely. I still think that hiring Spurrier was a good idea. I think he'll turn it around *IF* Snyder doesn't pull the rug out from under him again!

Spurrier was the coach HE wanted. If he throws in the towel before the end of next season on Spurrier, who is he going to get to coach the team next?! No one in their right mind would even consider working for Snyder. Then again, are there any coaches "in their right mind?"

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:14 pm

No - I said he is doing what people have told him to do, which isn't the same thing as not making mistakes. He admitted he screwed up spending on the Jeff George era Skins. He admitted that he made decisions that are wrong.

I have simply grown tired of listening to grown people stating that someone that owns a team doesn't have the right or the ability to lead. I have agreed that we need to boot Cerrato and get a good GM in there for personnel decisions.

I have disagreed with personnel decisions Snyder has made.

I still say that Spurrier and his cadre of coaches are LOST. They look LOST, they sound LOST and they refuse to adapt or learn.

For goodness sake - they have been schooled and all people can do is blame Snyder. You can call him arrogant - although if you have never met him and actually gotten to know him, you can't be sure he is. I can't be sure he isn't cause I haven't met him.

I still say that if he makes ANY move right now, people will call him all these names and he is in a no win situation.

I have said that he has followed the advice of the people around him, gotten the talent the coaches wanted, spent money like water doing what Cerrato and the rest of the scouts and front office thought was right. I still say that the man is being made a scapegoat for a system that is not adapting well to the NFL and that isn't being fixed on the coaching level.

If the coaches won't change and they keep LOSING, what would you do in your non egotistical non arrogant non evil way? Keep sticking with him like John Cooke kept with moron boy Turner? When you increase the talent on the team and have a worse record, you have to challenge the coach's thinking.

Quite frankly, with the idea that we should just sit and wait on Spurrier and Edwards et al to wise up, I am personally glad that there are some fans that don't have the money :)
Rich in Roanoke

swine

Postby skinsNut » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:27 pm

They're both lost. Snyder won't let anyone run this team... and Spurrier can't.
Hail to the Redskins

... deep in TX

Postby Texas Hog » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:51 am

``We're trying to protect him,'' Spurrier said. ``We're trying to find a little scheme or two here or there that will help him.''

Spurrier has been saying that every week for nearly two months, but left tackle Chris Samuels said this week the schemes haven't changed much at all.

more stupid comments and player contradictions...."little scheme or two here or there".....are you kidding me with this type of b.s.
God bless our troops and Joe Gibbs.
We'll miss you, Joe.

#21 gone, but never forgotten.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football