Atheism?

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:25 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:To just throw it out there for you no. You are right, I don't believe in anything. I have always been curious about religion though, but not like you are thinking. I have always wondered how people can be so naive as to worship, invest, kill or do good "in the name of God".

As an Atheist I feel it is important to educate myself on many religions. I have lived all over the world so I am fortunate to experience so many different views. Enough to know, it's not and will never be for me. Technically I decided religion was not for me when I was 11, or 12 I can't really remember.

To Irn-Bru's earlier point, you're confusing religion with God

How about I have always been interested in figuring out why people worship, invest, kill or do good "in the name of religion".

I do not believe in God or Religion. I do know the difference. Some feel as though God is a representation of theory, not a man in the clouds.

I have some free time today so if anyone would like to defend religion, by all means I would love to hear what you have to say.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:58 am

I have no particular bone to gnaw on here. I have no particular religious belief. I am, at times, offended by the closed minds of certain sects. The Constitution does not protect me from being offended... nor should it. I work against any effort to impose their values on the rest of us. I also work against any effort to impose values on them... Make no mistake... antitheism is as closed minded as any fundamentalist Christian cult.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:59 am

doubting is believing

I've just never had a 'good' explanation for how the world came to be, if not for 'something'

'believing' is easier than the alternative

it's really a shame that some have no faith
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:13 am

Not a knock towards any of you but God first, everything else in life is second.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

cappster

Postby Cappster » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:20 am

Countertrey wrote:I have no particular bone to gnaw on here. I have no particular religious belief. I am, at times, offended by the closed minds of certain sects. The Constitution does not protect me from being offended... nor should it. I work against any effort to impose their values on the rest of us. I also work against any effort to impose values on them... Make no mistake... antitheism is as closed minded as any fundamentalist Christian cult.

This has to be the second thing we've agreed on. Is this setting a trend? haha. I feel the same way. Objectivity is lost especially when religious beliefs, or lack thereof, is interjected into Constitutional reasoning. I consider myself a believer in the teaching of Jesus, but do not believe in the concept of religion or as I see it, a way to control the masses by "the word of God." Close minded radicals are bad for mankind no matter what alliance the claim.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

cappster

Postby Cappster » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:23 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:Not a knock towards any of you but God first, everything else in life is second.

But who is God? Is your God the same as other Gods? Why are Gods different? Who are people referencing when the word of God is spoken?

Those are just some of the questions I ask myself. I am not denying the existence of a higher being, but I do question the division among humanity about who or what God really is.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:26 am

ATX_Skins wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:To Irn-Bru's earlier point, you're confusing religion with God

I do not believe in God or Religion. I do know the difference. Some feel as though God is a representation of theory, not a man in the clouds.

I have some free time today so if anyone would like to defend religion, by all means I would love to hear what you have to say.

You say you know the difference, but you are only arguing against religion, as per your last sentence. As an atheist, you're not saying you don't believe in them but making an assertive statement they don't exist, and you're not backing that up at all.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:28 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:Not a knock towards any of you but God first, everything else in life is second.

God first you say? Not family? Not personal responsibility?

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:36 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:To Irn-Bru's earlier point, you're confusing religion with God

You say you know the difference, but you are only arguing against religion, as per your last sentence. As an atheist, you're not saying you don't believe in them but making an assertive statement they don't exist, and you're not backing that up at all.

What would you like to discuss Kaz? What is your religion? Let's start there.

BTW, no. It is quite possible that these characters from the past existed. Jesus could very well have been a man walking the Earth at some point in time. A very poor, uneducated and oppressed area of the Earth at that time as well. But the factual evidence exists that when a person dies, for that length of time, they will parish. The evidence religion expresses is in essence folklore and should be treated as such.

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:40 am

Cappster wrote:

But who is God? Is your God the same as other Gods? Why are Gods different? Who are people referencing when the word of God is spoken?

Those are just some of the questions I ask myself. I am not denying the existence of a higher being, but I do question the division among humanity about who or what God really is.

God is presumably the creator of all that is. In theory God is the same for all. A creator. God basically, created the universe and by however that happened, it is referred to as God. This is how I have understood it from reading the google machine.

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:44 am

Countertrey wrote:I have no particular bone to gnaw on here. I have no particular religious belief. I am, at times, offended by the closed minds of certain sects. The Constitution does not protect me from being offended... nor should it. I work against any effort to impose their values on the rest of us. I also work against any effort to impose values on them... Make no mistake... antitheism is as closed minded as any fundamentalist Christian cult.

I am not closed minded at all. For example: I have been a Christian. Now I am an Atheist. If you are religious, have you ever been an Atheist?

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:20 am

ATX_Skins wrote:

God first bro.. without Him I don't believe there is such a thing as a beating heart. Everything we do is our own choice given to us.. what we do with it is up to us obviously but its pretty simple to me; just do what you know is right and don't do what you know is wrong. Simple motto for me to follow. Family, I'm a family guy (lol) but I also believe my inner strength comes from somewhere my man, hence it being called faith. Personal responsibility, of course I do bro.. when I know I did something that I personally felt was wrong, I pray on it man and I ask for strength not to make those same mistakes again. Of course, its always back to faith.. believing in something that you may or may not see.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:29 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:

God first bro.. without Him I don't believe there is such a thing as a beating heart. Everything we do is our own choice given to us.. what we do with it is up to us obviously but its pretty simple to me; just do what you know is right and don't do what you know is wrong. Simple motto for me to follow. Family, I'm a family guy (lol) but I also believe my inner strength comes from somewhere my man, hence it being called faith. Personal responsibility, of course I do bro.. when I know I did something that I personally felt was wrong, I pray on it man and I ask for strength not to make those same mistakes again. Of course, its always back to faith.. believing in something that you may or may not see.

What if your faith (and not saying it is or does) asked you to sacrifice a family member? Would you choose religion over family?

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:49 am

ATX_Skins wrote:the factual evidence exists that when a person dies, for that length of time, they will parish

This is a logical fallacy called "begging the question." If you don't know what it means but heard it in the press, they use it wrong so don't go by that.

What is the "factual evidence?"
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:54 am

ATX_Skins wrote:What would you like to discuss Kaz? What is your religion? Let's start there

I believe in God because randomness doesn't explain everything I see. I believe God is good. I believe happiness is a choice and only a good God would allow us the power to be happy. I do not believe we are capable of comprehending God other then that in this life other then that so I don't worry about it other then to try to be a decent person and to grow.

I don't believe a kindergartner needs to really understand much about their teacher to know they are good and they are taking care of them. Other then that, I don't worry about it. I certainly don't listen to self deluded morons like evangelical christians or atheists who actually believe they know THE actual answer to the question of God's existance.

Return to The Lounge