Paterno, Penn State, and child molesters (updated)

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
Skins History Buff

Paterno, Penn State, and child molesters (updated)

Postby welch » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:44 pm

See:

http://deadspin.com/5858111/joe-paterno ... er-is-over

So much moral corruption, simple evil, so many directions...what can we say that expresses all of it?

Perhaps take the image in mind: a football coach rapes a child; other team staff notice and...stop the rape? No. They report the "incident" to a Penn State administrator.

And we know, surely, that mere child abuse should not "tarnish" the great name of a powerful "program". All hail the program.
Last edited by welch on Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:45 am

...and this reports, http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/11/sport ... ml?_r=1&hp

indicates that many that Penn State students believe that Paterno should be protected.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. — After top Penn State officials announced they had fired Joe Paterno on Wednesday night, thousands of students stormed the downtown area to display their anger and frustration, chanting the former coach’s name, tearing down light poles and overturning a television news van parked along College Avenue.

The demonstrators congregated outside Penn State’s administration building before stampeding into the tight grid of downtown streets. They turned their ire on a news van, a symbolic gesture that expressed a view held by many that the media exaggerated Mr. Paterno’s role in the Jerry Sandusky pedophilia scandal.

“I think the point people are trying to make is the media is responsible for Joe Pa going down,” said freshman Mike Clark, 18, adding that he believed Mr. Paterno met both his legal and moral responsibility by telling university authorities about Mr. Sandusky’s alleged 2002 assault on a boy in a school shower.

Demonstrators tore down two lampposts, one falling into a crowd of students. They also threw rocks and fireworks at police, who responded with pepper spray. The crowd undulated like an accordion, with the students crowding the police and the officers pushing them back.

“We got rowdy and we got maced,” Jeff Heim, 19, said rubbing his red, teary eyes. “But make no mistake, the board started this riot by firing our coach. They tarnished a legend.”

An orderly crowd first filled the lawn in front of Old Main when news of Mr. Paterno’s firing came via students’ cell phones. When the crowd took to the downtown streets, it’s anger and intensity swelled. Students shouted “We are Penn State.”

To repeat: "Mr. Paterno met both his legal and moral responsibility by telling university authorities about Mr. Sandusky’s alleged 2002 assault on a boy in a school shower." .

“We are Penn State.”

Indeed.

Hog

Postby vwoodzpusha » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:56 am

They tarnished a legend.”

The board did not tarnish Joe Paterno. He tarnished himself. I understand he met his "legal" obligation. But morally I am not sure how you can hear that a man raped a 10 year old in the shower and not do more than just tell the AD. Then to continue to see this man around campus and holding children’s camps knowing what he did and STILL not contact authorities. Paterno announcing he would retire at the end of the season so the board didn’t have to waste their time with it, was the last ditch effort of a selfish man trying to hold onto a job that is his life.

cappster

Postby Cappster » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:41 am

The last time I checked, the media does not have any duty to protect a man who let children get assaulted right under his nose. Those kids are dazed and confused to think that Paterno is some untouchable God who has done no wrong. The overall situation is unfortunate for all, but accountability is accountability. Sexual assault on a child is the most heinous crime a person can commit and with Paterno knowing and doing practically nothing of said acts, to me, he is a cosigner of said atrocities.

The one positive that comes out of this situation is that the public is more aware of such actions and it fosters discussions on how we all have a duty to protect children from sexual predators.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:41 am

Penn State scandal: ALL educators, coaches are MANDATED REPORTERS - it's an oath and obligation to report when kids are in in danger...!!!
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:58 pm

I agree with the board of trustees decision - Paterno should go but also the whole football program and staff here needs to be looked at very closely also

Sandusky has only been charged with 40 counts by reportedly 9 people ... so far

This sicko had an office on the campus until recently even though he was not a part of the team since 2000

Why did the board not let McQueery go as well?

Why did McQueery not do anything verbally or physically in 2002, when he was 28, and he saw Sandusky sexually molesting a 10 year old child

This is not good at all - this is not about sports - this is about violating children
RG3 needs to learn how to play QB in the NFL so he can take advantage of the weapons he has

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:30 pm

SkinsJock wrote:This is not good at all - this is not about sports - this is about violating children

Not good?

It's getting down right sickening
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:10 pm

(1) Saw the ESPN report this weekend as Penn State removed the Paterno statue from the football stadium. The reporter kept shaking his head as he spoke, a body-language indication, I think, that he believes the statue should stand. Interviewed several students. None said "child molesting". Referred to "the events". Insisted that Paterno was OK because he had not stood trial and been found guilty. Reporter emphasized that Paterno gave money to the college library.

Sick. Reporter and Penn State.

(2) Does Penn State exist to support a semi-pro football team, or is it a university? I remember when a professor was fired from Tennessee for failing to give passing grades to no-show football players. Something fundamentally wrong here.

(3) Maybe that's why I prefer the NFL to college sports...at least the NFL teams are honest about being in business to make money. They even pay their players openly.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:09 am

Children are off limits. ANYONE who crosses that line should be tortured for life and not killed.

Paterno- Use to be "that guy is a hell of a coach", now he's "the guy that didn't call the police on his coach that molested boys and did even more behind the doors".

Piece of ;furious;
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:56 pm

BUT should the team that got "punished" also be punished more for these @*&#s?
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:03 am

cowboykillerzRED wrote:BUT should the team that got "punished" also be punished more for these @*&#s?

Yes.

In fact, they should have lost their program for 5-10 years. They got off easy.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:50 pm

Huh.. so the rapists victim is at fault?
I don't comprehend that logic one bit. Scholarships for young adults should be stripped away due to the old pieces of $hiz that are no longer part of the program?
I disagree sir.
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:02 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:Huh.. so the rapists victim is at fault?
I don't comprehend that logic one bit. Scholarships for young adults should be stripped away due to the old pieces of $hiz that are no longer part of the program?
I disagree sir.

So then we should just turn a blind eye to a program that covered up raping young boys for about a decade?

What do you think the punishment should be?

Look, if you are the owner of a bar and they allow underage patrons in and they get caught, you get in trouble. Doesn't matter if it's fair.

Penn State had a choice to make. Either be ethical and expose it when they found out, or cover it up for a top program at the time. They chose to cover up one of the most disgusting things a human being can do, FOR YEARS!
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:14 pm

So punish the bar owners not the patrons.. or venders. The unethical should be tar and feathered, not their kids right? Should the family of that joker wannabe mass murderer be persecuted for sharing his last name?

It's not the kids that are at fault.. take the heads of every coach and anyone on the board, but punish the opportunity for hs grads to make a future either in the sport or with a full ride obtaining a degree is not only ludicrous, but double jeopardy. They have suffered enough, for far to long.

Return to The Lounge