Safety Discussion

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
---

Safety Discussion

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sat Aug 02, 2003 11:50 am

Ifeanyi Ohalete
David Terrell
Andre Lott

We all know that Bowen is starting so that leaves one of the above 3 to start beside him. According to our capsules Terrell if I'm not mistaken has been taking a majority of the playing time opposite Bowen.

Now this leads me to wonder why is Terrell getting all this time. Ohaltete took Shades spot last year, and IMO did an outstanding job and outshined whoever was opposite. Maybe I'm mistaken.

How do you all feel about this? Do you feel Terrel, or Ohaltete should be starting/getting more rep time?

Postby Terry » Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:02 pm

Bowens is an interesting player. He's known for his speed, and he brings a ton when he hits. But speed and coverage are two different things. As near as I can tell his straight line speed is very good, but it's an open question how well he can cover a shifty WR in the open field.

So that leads me to believe that Bowen's primary responsibility will be to use that speed in the underneath zones, closer to the line of scrimmage. He can play back yet still bring the effective safety blitz. He can break on a WR before that WR has full speed going. And he can come up and use that hitting ability to support the run D.

Which leaves me to believe that his primary responsibility will closer to a strong safety than the last line of defense.

So if that's the case, then the above mentioned players, Ohalete, Terrell, and Lott are likely battling it out for a free safety role.

Ohalete is clearly the least suited to that. He's the bigger safety who hits, rather than the speed guy who can range in the deep field and get over to the play. So my guess is that he'll end up behind and backing up Bowens. The other knock on him last year was play recognition, that his physical skills were hampered by his ability to make the quick read and correct decision.

Terell and Lott are actully more like CBs. Lott played CB his senior college season as I recall, and some think that Terell wouln't be a bad nickel CB in a pinch, and certainly could be a dime CB. So those guys are likely battling it out for the other safety spot.

My guess is that Terell's experience, and closing speed might be giving him the edge at this stage of training camp. But it's early yet, so we'll have to see how it shakes out.

So I don't think that the original premise of this thread, Terell vs. Ohalete, is correct. I think it's Bowen vs. Ohalete, and Terrell vs. Lott.

----

Postby HitDoctor » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:51 pm

Terrell was toast last year and I would prefer he came off the bench. Lott should get the nod. Your nickle back is Rashad Bauman. Again, this is my 2 cents. They should have taken Doss ( I think I'll make this my Sig because I have been saying it WAY too much.
it is what it is

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:09 pm

HitDoctor wrote:Terrell was toast last year and I would prefer he came off the bench. Lott should get the nod.

I agree. Judging by the capsules Lott is looking good. Also, if I remember correctly Ohalete got Shade's job because of his coverage ability....not run stopping ability.

----

Postby HitDoctor » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:41 am

woohit56 wrote:
HitDoctor wrote:Terrell was toast last year and I would prefer he came off the bench. Lott should get the nod.

I agree. Judging by the capsules Lott is looking good. Also, if I remember correctly Ohalete got Shade's job because of his coverage ability....not run stopping ability.

Yeah, I remember Ohalete's pick against the saints last year. hope this can happen often
it is what it is

Postby hildawg » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:51 pm

bowen = young Lynch
pain goes away, but pride last forever.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football