Why does Wuerful keep comming back like a boomarang?

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.

Why does Wuerful keep comming back like a boomarang?

Postby HI73Ogre » Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:32 am

:(

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:23 am

... because the only guy that UNDERSTANDS the Fun 'N Gun like SOS is DW.

Trust me... if you'd all watched what i watched this week... none of you would be surprised or disappointed. Rob Johnson was just plain awful. I can't sugar coat it.

I may be the only one here that thinks this is a good move, but it isn't because I'm enamored with Wuerrfel... it's because we just would have been dead in the water with the Johnson flutter ball. Johnson threw up more ducks this week than the NRA throw up at a game reserve.

Hamdan was one of the 3 players that IMPRESSED me the most too... so don't hang your heads too low. You thought y'all liked the upsaide and potential of Sage? Wait til you check out Hamdan's cannon... and he's 6'4" to boot.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Postby Kilmer » Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:57 am

I agree.

Rob Johnson sucks...plain and simple. We need someone whose competent in this offense backing up Ramsey and Danny runs this offense better than anyone. If he is forced into action, he will benefit greatly from recievers who can generate separation and a very solid offensive line. Two things he did not have last year. I thought they should have kept him as a backup and mentor to Ramsey all along.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:46 am

Amen Kilmer... couldn't agree more.

DW is back. Football glove sales will go up by.... well by one :-)
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Postby blove » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:38 pm

The Times is reporting that Weurffel will be battling it out with Rob Johnson for spots #2 and #3 which will put Hamdan on the practice squad. Based upon the camp reports, it seems to me that Hamdan and Weurffel may end up #2 and #3 and Johnson could be cut. I wouldn't think we would risk putting Hamdan on the practice squad if he has that much upside. Hey, wouldn't that be 2 million for Champ?

-- Billy

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Tue Aug 05, 2003 12:29 pm

Based on today's practice, I would agree with the Post that Hamden is going to the Practice Squad. He did not participate in a lot of the QB drills. He was working with the RBs throwing the ball to them in their drills while the other three QBs were doing footwork and passing drills. Also, Rob near the end of practice started looking better after Danny made some good plays. He made like three great 20 yard passes. And while Rob did truly look horrid all last week (at least the two times I saw) and the beginning of this practice, I think the competition is just what that guy needed.

piglet

Postby ace phoenix » Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:37 pm

please let us cut rob johnson. He couldn't successfully run a high school team, much less the fun n' gun.

Danny isn't great but he knows the offense and that is a big plus. I say keep danny dump Rob and like blove said that's an extra 2 million for Champ or lavar...

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:00 pm

Maybe we can steal Chad Pennington next time his contract is up...The Jets players we got this year have really played great in training camp!

Postby Skinster » Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:20 pm

If there is one thing Spurrier can do... its coaching QB's.. Johnson may look bad now but by the end of camp Spurrier will have him much improved!

I hope :D

Skinster

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:37 pm

I'm wondering if Rob's problems stem from trying to change the way he throws the ball. Seems like someone that has been in the league for 11 years shouldn't get his fundementals changed. The thing is, in training camp, he tries to hold the ball up to his ear until he starts scrambling or the play has problems, then he goes back to side-arming it.

I don't want to second guess Spurrier on this, but maybe we should have left Rob's techniques where they are and concentrate on getting him to understand the offense. Learning both at once has probably caused a lot of his poor play.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:49 am

I agree that Rob hasn't looked good, but then I can tell you my personal opinion based on a couple of observations.

Anyone else notice who the QB was who didn't take stretching very seriously? That's right, Mr. Johnson. He would do them halfway or not at all and chat it up with Hamdan or Ramsey.

He wasn't concentrating much on a couple of the other drills that I watched him on either. Seems to me that it translated to the game a couple of times, particularly on the draw plays. He just hands the ball off, doesn't hide it, doesn't try to sell it as a pass play before or after the fact. Both draws that I observed him run, the back got trashed before he got to the line of scrimmage by someone reading the play.

I will say that he looked the most comfortable against the Panthers and Patriots, leading good drives against both, but having the line self destruct them.

I'm with fanno9 on second guessing trying to rework his style at this point in his career.

Rich in Roanoke
Rich in Roanoke

swine

Postby learnnew » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:25 am

Taking someone like Johnson is so Spurrier. He likes grooming QBs and taking on challenges there. Having seen so much of his dreams dashed, I guess that project (along with Hamdan) was necessary for him to keep himself satisfied and accomplish something doable. Does that even make any sense? :)
Go Skins! For 10-6 or higher!

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007