Robert Griffin III

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:13 pm

@mortreport
Chris Mortensen
No surprise: Baylor QB Robert Griffin III is informing Baylor coach Art Briles today he is turning pro, per family source.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

goskins

Postby GoSkins » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:22 pm

markshark84 wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:There is absolutely no question that of all QBs in the NCAA, RGIII is the most athletic. It's not even close. What is even better is he has everything else - accuracy, arm strength, intelligence, and character. He totally has the it factor.

He appears to be a hybrid of Vick, Rodgers, Newton, and Renaldo Nehemiah.

I know that's nuts but that is what I see when I watch. He is bigger than Vick (6' 2", 220 #)but smaller than Newton. He's faster than Newton (4.4) and almost as fast as Vick. He throws accurately in the pocket or on the run ala Rodgers.

He ran a 49 in the 400 meter hurdles as a high school junior.

Let's get this guy.

DarthMonk

cowboykillerzRED wrote:I think RG is a better athlete and is a great qb without some of the help those guys have. Kinda hard to compare but he is a beast. More tds then Inc passes over half way through the year? Ya ill take it

I agree that RGIII has great potential, but I don't understand why you use his athletism as the prime example. For a QB, athletism is not a make or break attribute for a QB. The best QBs in the league aren't super-athletic types: see Brady, Manning, Brees, Schaub, Roethlisburger, Stafford, etc. A QB should stay in the pocket at least 75% of the time -- so that is what you need to focus on; not the 10-20% of the time they roll out and make a pass. It's great if they can do it (like Rodgers), but most can. I am confident that Barkley and Jones can both adequately run a bootleg pass option.

Also -- speed DOES NOT MATTER at the QB position -- at all. Tom Brady ran a 5.28 40, Rivers ran a 5.08, Brees a 4.88, -- most run it between 4.7 - 4.9. And even when they run it in the sub-4.7 range -- it never makes a difference

In terms of the more tds than ints -- he runs a spread offense and the majority of his passes are on the short side. The fact that he has more TDs than INTs shows he has top flight accuracy on short to mid range passes. I was watching a highlight reel of a couple of his games and close to 85% were passes thrown under 10 yards, but YAC was high. He does have good accuracy on those types of throws, but I did not see enough on the +20 yards to form a conclusion.

With all this said, he still can be a great QB in the league -- I have no doubt. He is super smart and a great person. He is a leader and has all the intangibles. I just do not think that speed and athletism are going to be the attributes that directly result in him becoming a top QB. I would prefer to hear his top attributes as being laser accuracy and ability to find open receivers.

The reports I hear is that he's got an accurate long ball too. And I tell you this, Drew Brees accuracy is what separates him from the rest of the pack, and is immeasurably important in generating YAC.

Now even though I'm high on Luck ... realistically, I don't think the Colts are going to trade that pick unless someone offered something ridiculous for that pick ... so it looks like RG3 is the #1 target, and with the Rams having the second pick and Bradford, I see them trading that pick ... and it better be to the Redskins, or we'll have missed a golden opportunity to really upgrade he offense significantly.

This league is about the QB nowadays. You cannot win with a mediocre QB. And there are two types .... you've got the pocket passers like Luck and the athletic movers like RG3 ... and both types can be successful.

And the more I've studied RG3 lately, the more I'm beginning to believe that he might just be as good as Luck, particularly with an o-line that still needs some help. A mobile QB like him can be almost like replacing two o-linemen due to his mobility. And I'm beginning to think that he actually might be the perfect pick for the Redskins.

Look what Vick brings to the Eagles .... and I tell you ... Vick wouldn't even be starting in the NFL now without his ability to run .... Vick was not NEARLY as good a passer in college as is RG3 ... nor was Vick very accurate while playing for Atlanta years ago, and had to rely on running. I think RG3 could be looked at as a hybrid of a running/passing QB who will be a much better and more complete QB than Michael Vick.

If this kid goes somewhere else because the Redskins chose to save draft picks, and he has a Cam Newton like rookie season (which is very possible) every decision maker in the Redskin front office should be fired for incompetence.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:36 pm

I couldn't agree more Ray.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:41 pm

I believe RGIII is the real deal... just keep in mind, there is likely to be a bidding war... and a fairly high price.

MS is known to be averse to paying too much... sooooo... keep fingers crossed... but don't hold your breath.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:28 pm

If I were Dan Snyder, I'd have a little conference with Mike and Bruce, and this is what I would say ...

Gentlemen, I know the road has been a little more difficult than any of us may have anticipated, and even though our record this year was worse than last year ... I do think we have made progress, and upgraded the team with good talent, and are real close to being a good football team. And I'm sure we are all in agreement that our most pressing need is to solidify the most important roster spot ... the QB position. That's been the most elusive task that has thus far eluded you two, and the primary reason for our seeming lack of tangible success.

Now we don't need to rehash what has already happened with McNabb, Grossman and Beck. You made decisions and you ran with them, win, lose or draw. Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you. And I made a commitment to you both not interfere with your football decisions. So here's the deal .... I'm not going to tell you who to draft or what FA to sign to improve our QB situation. That's your job and what I'm paying you lots of money to do. And since we are in unanimous agreement that our number one priority is getting this QB problem solved ... I expect you two to figure this thing out. And I don't care what you have to do to do it ... if you need to trade some picks to get the best available QB in the draft ... do it. IF you think there is a free agent that will fix the problem, go get him. If you think there is a sleeper that we can snatch up cheap, that's your call. Just know this up front. This next QB chosen has to be successful. No more misses. Because, if a player that we could have gotten goes to another team and is extremely successful ... and we wind up in the same boat this time next year .... we won't be having this same conversation, and both of you can consider your contracts to be 3 year deals that won't be renewed.

Any questions? Good .... now let's get back to work.

(this is precisely what Jack Kent Cooke would have said to Bobby Beathard and Joe Gibbs ... because that's pretty much what he did say to them regarding Joe Theisman, who Gibbs didn't want, and Beathard did).

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Great article about RGIII his stats being amazing for starters. The Skins can't pass on this kid.. I'm starting to hope the colts stick w Luck and don't take RG!

Http://www.espnflorida.com/rgiii-declar ... the-draft/
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:32 pm

i wouldn't be sold on RG there will be plenty of qb's to go around in this years draft..if we get him the great and he wants to be here then thats great too. so this draft will be deep on qb's so wait and see.if we get RG then i will take that too but use your draft pick wisely cause this franchises future depends on it..
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:54 pm

Does RG3 live up to the likes of:

1. Randall Cunningham
2. Mike Vick
3. D Mac
4. Doug Williams
5. Charlie Batch

who else? I know I'm missing several good ones

Yes, all black QBs who have found success in the NFL......
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

CKRGiii

RGIII the FUTURE of B&G!

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:37 pm

Mods feel free to delete or move this but with the Flynn and 2nd tier threads the first round prediction etc etc I feel like Robert Griffin the third deserves his own. Here. The main reason -aside from fans Like myself that will go completely ape "poop" on draft day if he is selected no matter what the price- being I don't want to pollute other threads that he becomes the topic of debate in w links hopes stats etc etc etc.

Kids stats are ridiculous and utterly amazing. His career tds vs ints is amazing -less picks then grossy had THIS year alone! (don't quote me maybe add thé little he played last year) The more I read the more excited I get and hopeful we don't chicken out and pass on the chance to get this franchise qb that will probably make history one day. His off field smarts, charisma, passion, drive, and understanding of what he wants to do... Is just as remarkable as his collegiate career.

Some eye candy- words from the top qb prospect rgiii not him in a skins uniform lol.. Yes TOP. His numbers poop on lucks and.. Well just read it.
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:47 pm

Oh ya here's the link... Don't let the title fool you he has some great quotes about wanting to revolutionize the qb position as well as some other gems. Enjoy!

http://www.espnflorida.com/rgiii-declar ... the-draft/
Last edited by cowboykillerzRGiii on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:57 pm

Do any of those guys look half as good as RGIII did before declaring? His accuracy kills most any prospect qb.. In that link I posted I believe there's a quote saying he's more comparable to a vick meets Brady vs a cam Newton. He is a throw first qb that has killer accuracy even on the run.

To me he is a better investment then Luck w the way the game is evolving. Just my humble opinion

swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 am

He is all that. My daughter goes to Baylor and I've seen 90% of his games the last 2 years. I've seen him twice in person against U of Buffalo and Mizzou. I knew he was something special and unique right away. It's official now he's leaving for the NFL. Wait until he blows the stats away at the combine. Indy may have to reconsider. He has so many tools at his disposal...

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:01 am

Flynn in FA

RGIII in the 1st round (no more than to 2s to move up)
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:06 am

1niksder wrote:Flynn in FA
RGIII in the 1st round (no more than two 2s to move up)

OK - I can agree with both adding a FA & RGIII

I'm with trey - I'd love to get RGIII but DEFINETLY not at any cost

and ONLY if Mike & Bruce really, really want him - screw what the fans (including me) think - they don't have a clue

we can win AND be competitive without getting a future great right now - we will have a future great QB soon

we will have better play from the QB position this season = Mike understands that better than anyone here
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Return to General Manager's Office