Mel Kiper Re-Grades Redskins 2011 Draft

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:06 pm

The draft class was everything that it needed to be at the time, and it worked out tremendously for an injury-ridden Redskins team. But it was not a “sexy” draft according to experts. Because the Redskins took so many players, they had a chance to find some gems; but because they took nine players after the third round, there was a chance few would pan out.
Football draft guru and ESPN analyst Mel Kiper gave the Redskins a post-draft grade of a C+, equivalent to passing mediocrity. Eight and a-half months later, he’s begging your pardon (Via ESPN Insider and friend Kevin Ewoldt of Hogs Haven):

Post-draft grade: C+
Summary: This felt like a novelty — a Redskins draft with a ton of picks. The story of this draft was the fact that Washington didn’t see a quarterback it wanted. Given the returns in the range in which the Redskins would have picked, it looks like a good calculation, at least in the short term. Only moving way down the board and ending up with Dalton could have looked better. Instead, the Redskins traded down, got Ryan Kerrigan at No. 16 and really aced the pick. Kerrigan picked up 7.5 sacks and played exactly as his draft projection had him pegged. Round 2 pick Jarvis Jenkins never saw the field because of injury, but both running back picks, Roy Helu and Evan Royster, played well when given the time, and I still thinkLeonard Hankerson has a chance to develop. Maurice Hurt looks like a seventh-round keeper. Having a lot of picks can help; it certainly helped this grade rise over the course of the season.

New grade: B

This modest improvement seems to be based on the performance of the rookie draft class, which suited up 11-of-12 picks at some point during the season (defensive end Jarvis Jenkins ended the year on injured reserve in the preseason). Given that every single rookie cycled through the active roster in the first season, there’s reason to believe that this draft will be viewed as a historic one for this franchise.
But is analyzing a draft class after their rookie season a bit premature? You betcha. There’s still no way of knowing what the ceiling is on this group, but it’s nice to see that the respect and expectations have gone up.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:06 pm

Sorry... I've never been a fan of Kiper... and could care less what his opinion is.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:59 pm

Countertrey wrote:Sorry... I've never been a fan of Kiper... and could care less what his opinion is.

Changing Draft grades after one season... what is that anyway?

He can't simply be saying he was wrong... we already knew that
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Give me Mike Mayock and I'll read it.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:52 am

Countertrey wrote:Sorry... I've never been a fan of Kiper... and could care less what his opinion is.

Every time I read his opinions, like this, it reinforces your view. First of all, no duh, a C+ was ridiculous. I also don't like how he grades based on what teams get instead of what they did with what they had. Is Kerrigan Cam? No. But how is it fair to just compare them like that? And that's what he constantly does.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:02 am

"Who in the hell is Mel Kiper, anyway? I mean, here's a guy who criticizes everybody, whoever they take. In my knowledge of him, he's never even put on a jockstrap, he's never been a player, he's never been a coach, he's never been a scout, he's never been an administrator, and all of a sudden, he's an expert. Mel Kiper has no more credentials to do what he's doing than my neighbor, and my neighbor's a postman and he doesn't even have season tickets to the NFL."
-- Bill Tobin
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:43 am

I'm no Kiper fan either, but thanks for posting. These grades they give immediately after the draft are stupid. Grading the draft after the rookies have had a chance to play makes a lot more sense. Nice to see Shanahan/Allen getting some credit for making the most out of last year's draft!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:48 am

riggofan wrote:I'm no Kiper fan either, but thanks for posting. These grades they give immediately after the draft are stupid. Grading the draft after the rookies have had a chance to play makes a lot more sense. Nice to see Shanahan/Allen getting some credit for making the most out of last year's draft!

It takes at least 3 years to have a meaningful rating. One or more guys we think seemed to be nice depth pickups will probably be cut before the season. Remember Horton's rookie year, which was sweet, and what followed, which wasn't? Our #2 was Jenkins and you can't even rate that yet. Yeah, one year is better then draft day. But it's closer to draft day then not.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:34 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:It takes at least 3 years to have a meaningful rating. One or more guys we think seemed to be nice depth pickups will probably be cut before the season. Remember Horton's rookie year, which was sweet, and what followed, which wasn't? Our #2 was Jenkins and you can't even rate that yet. Yeah, one year is better then draft day. But it's closer to draft day then not.

Completely agree with you. As soon as I started to read your post, I was thinking to myself, "Chris Horton". hah.

Just looking at Kerrigan, Helu and Royster, though, you gotta feel pretty upbeat about that draft so far. I wish we'd gotten to see more of Hankerson too. This past December would have been a great opportunity for him.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:47 pm

over time 1niksder (and many here) have shown us a lot more than the idiot Kiper

thanks for the analysis as well
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:03 am

riggofan wrote:Just looking at Kerrigan, Helu and Royster, though, you gotta feel pretty upbeat about that draft so far.

Agreed

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:11 pm

This was probably the most productive first-year, Redskins draftee class in my life... and that's with Jarvis going down in pre-season, and Hankerson blowing up his knee. Even the bottom of this class got quality time in games. In two more years, I have a feeling that this will be an "A" grade... Nicely played, FO.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:25 pm

Deadskins wrote:"Who in the hell is Mel Kiper, anyway? I mean, here's a guy who criticizes everybody, whoever they take. In my knowledge of him, he's never even put on a jockstrap, he's never been a player, he's never been a coach, he's never been a scout, he's never been an administrator, and all of a sudden, he's an expert. Mel Kiper has no more credentials to do what he's doing than my neighbor, and my neighbor's a postman and he doesn't even have season tickets to the NFL."
-- Bill Tobin

Yea, but Mel was right, Dilfer ended up being better than the other guy. Although they were both bad. If you're going to make a statement like that about somebody, then you have to be the one who's right, and since he wasn't, Tobin lost all credibility.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Postby 1niksder » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Countertrey wrote:This was probably the most productive first-year, Redskins draftee class in my life... and that's with Jarvis going down in pre-season, and Hankerson blowing up his knee. Even the bottom of this class got quality time in games. In two more years, I have a feeling that this will be an "A" grade... Nicely played, FO.

Throw in that it's probably also the largest haul in over decade, and Will Smith who they almost drafted but signed as a UDFA. It was very nicely played.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:51 am

Dont really care about Kipers opinion really. I am just entertained by the funny faces he makes when arguing his point. :lol: Love it when he and Mcshay go at it.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Return to General Manager's Office