Who's your 10%?

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Who's your 10%?

Postby 1niksder » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:03 am

Here's a list of the 2012 Top 50 Free Agents come March, some of these players will be resigned prior to the market opening, some will be "tagged" and others will be added to clear cap space for their current team.

Based on the players listed select the 10% you would bring in and why.

Here's my five and the reasons why:

CB Brandon Carr,might get tagged but if not the Redskins should pay the man. He'll turn 26 in May, is a true man-cover corner and this is a position of need. With Hall aging and taking so many risk in coverage he may be more help to the secondary as a free safety. Atogwe was injuried on and off all year, and the addition of Carr would allow some flexability in the secondary, and the ability to pass on Claiborne if he is there at #6.

If Carr gets tagged I'd stay in KC and go after WR Dwayne Bowe to feel the long needed #1 reciever slot. Hankerson is a unknown but shows promise, Paul may pan out and Aldrick Robinson spent most of 2011 on the practice squad - that's three WRs on the roster from the last draft. They can't afford Justin Blackmon because they drafted so many wideouts last year.

The Skins can't get both but either would be fine with me...

SS Tyvon Branch would be LL's replacement is a hard hitter but also solid tackler, not the best in coverage but better than what we have had at that position. Dashon Goldson would be option B.

G Carl Nicks should be Bruce Allen's first call when free agency starts, he cost but he'll fit the Redskins run blocking scheme and is pretty good at pass pro. While Bruce is calling Carl, Kyle should dial up C Chris Myers and see if he can get him on board, One or both would be major upgrades

QB Matt Flynn has been a favorite of mine since the season ended an that hasn't changed. The Redskins carried three QBs last year if you count the one on the PS. If Crompton lands back on the practice squad again in 2012 he'll be the #4 QB but will have seniority over the three on the active roster.

So I've got Flynn, Nicks, Myers, along with Branch and Carr or Goldson and Bowe. The Redskins would still need a young QB in the draft, a safety if Hall isn't converted, O-line depth and a corner to play in the slot. Adding any five of these seven would be a great start to the new season. Flynn, Nicks and Myers would be my priorities but I'd go after all 7 and then some.

Did anyone else notice no Redskins made the list?
Last edited by 1niksder on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

B-rad

Re: Who's your 20%?

Postby brad7686 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:18 am

1niksder wrote:They can't afford Justin Blackmon because they drafted so many wideouts last year.

Not if they all stink. Hankerson is good though but he has to prove it. It's not like we have dearth at the position. Move moss to the slot, Blackmon and Hankerson outside.

Although I agree with you on Bowe, he would be a good pickup and eliminate any thoughts of taking Blackmon more than likely.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Hog

Postby PickSixerTWSS » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:18 am

For me what I would do is if KC tag's Bowe take Carr. If they tag Carr take Bowe. Because we know the Saints are going to "tag" Drew Brees try to go after Colston and Nicks. In my opinion Carl NIcks is the BEST guard in the NFL. Also try for Chris Myers.

So for me it would probbably be Marques Colston or Dwayne Bowe

Carl Nicks or Ben Grubbs

Chris Myers and Carr

and then I say in the draft you can't trade up and take RG3, stick with the sixth pick and......well my idea (EXAMPLE)

colts: Luck

browns: trade up RG3

vikings: Kailil

rams: Blackmon

bucs: Claiborne

Skins: RILEY REIFF LT

great thing to happen could be in the 2nd trade up and take Tannehill have Riley at LT put Trent at RT have Ben Grubbs and Carl Nicks at guard ( [-o< ) center Myers. Now that would be one hell of an Oline and it would be the best inthe leauge. and then the position you don't get (Bowe and Carr) try for guys like Vincent Jackson or Ladarrius Webb or Tracy Porter or Marques Colston.

PicksixerTWSS
Hail Robert Griffin III!

21 Sean Taylor will never be forgotten.....

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:13 am

Thanks 1niksder - that's a very interesting scenario

I will say that I like the fact that we're in position to be able to add some key free agents and that we have a FO that will continue to look at the long term rather than short term

we need to add some young free agents and we're lucky to be where we are with the salary cap

I don't know as much about the players as you guys do :roll:

FOR SURE we'll be adding free agents at the following positions that will greatly help - QB, OL, WR, DB
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby Skeletor » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:16 pm

20 percent of 50 is 10.

Hog

Postby PickSixerTWSS » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:19 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Thanks 1niksder - that's a very interesting scenario

I will say that I like the fact that we're in position to be able to add some key free agents and that we have a FO that will continue to look at the long term rather than short term

we need to add some young free agents and we're lucky to be where we are with the salary cap

I don't know as much about the players as you guys do :roll:

FOR SURE we'll be adding free agents at the following positions that will greatly help - QB, OL, WR, DB
I'm mainley thinking

Colston or Bowe (1)

Grubbs or Nicks (2)

Myers (3)

Carr or ..... Grimes I think he is pretty good (4)

of course being us there will be way more FA's signed than 4. :roll:
Hail Robert Griffin III!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:28 pm

Skeletor wrote:20 percent of 50 is 10.

It was late :shock:
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:45 am

PickSixerTWSS wrote: ..... of course being us - there will be way more FA's signed than 4.

I take it you mean "us" being the Redskins of today and NOT the Redskins of pre Shanaplan ... right?
AND - I agree with you that we'll be adding a number of free agents - THAT's A GOOD THING :lol:
How lucky are we that these guys have us in this position where we can really afford to add free agents because we are in decent shape salary cap wise

not long ago, dumb and dumber just added players that for the most part did not fit here
this FO WILL add players that fit what the franchise needs
AND - MOST IMPORTANTLY, are young and can give the team a few good years of play

I think a combination of adding some key free agents and a good draft is really going to help this franchise
We ARE making the playoffs in 2012
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby PickSixerTWSS » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:11 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
PickSixerTWSS wrote: ..... of course being us - there will be way more FA's signed than 4.

I take it you mean "us" being the Redskins of today and NOT the Redskins of pre Shanaplan ... right?
AND - I agree with you that we'll be adding a number of free agents - THAT's A GOOD THING :lol:
How lucky are we that these guys have us in this position where we can really afford to add free agents because we are in decent shape salary cap wise

not long ago, dumb and dumber just added players that for the most part did not fit here
this FO WILL add players that fit what the franchise needs
AND - MOST IMPORTANTLY, are young and can give the team a few good years of play

I think a combination of adding some key free agents and a good draft is really going to help this franchise
We ARE making the playoffs in 2012
By a number of FA's...how many do you mean? And I just meant those 4 players could be the main core of the FAs.
Hail Robert Griffin III!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:16 am

This is fun and all but step it up a notch. Apply the cap to this and then you'll really see how unlikely it is that we get most of these top tier guys.

Postby 1niksder » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:05 pm

frankcal20 wrote:This is fun and all but step it up a notch. Apply the cap to this and then you'll really see how unlikely it is that we get most of these top tier guys.

The Skins will have plenty of cap space (at least #40M under) to sign who ever they want.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:54 am

My leanings are towards;

Brandon Carr or Tracy Porter

Pierre Garcon

Carl Nicks or Chris Myers, although I'd prefer it if Myers was a little younger.

The other issues can be addressed in the draft I think.

Remember, the OL started the season well, it just fell apart with injuries and suspensions, so a wholesale restructure isn't needed, just add a little experience so we have strength in depth.

Maybe we should go back in for Carlos Rogers now he's got some contact lenses and can catch the odd ball....? No...?!? Ok then... :wink:
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:42 pm

1niksder wrote:The Skins will have plenty of cap space (at least $40M) to sign who ever they want.

I agree redskin1 - the only caveat being that they'll most likely try and stay with the younger talent where they can

players that are young with good character are definetly a plus

we've seen them make some bad judgements but they've also done some good things and this cap situation is one of them

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Managing the cap, this will also allow them to front load any free agent contract so that down the line it will allow our contracts to be better balanced.

See Fletcher. Sign him to a 3 year deal paying 12-15 million this year and then 2-3 the next two. That would make say a 3 year, 18 million contract paying on average 6 m per year. I think both parties would do that in a heartbeat. Only concern would be Fletch retiring after this season. There could be a clause written in that if he retires b4 the end of the 3 years, part of the singing bonus is due back.

Postby 1niksder » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:12 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Managing the cap, this will also allow them to front load any free agent contract so that down the line it will allow our contracts to be better balanced.

See Fletcher. Sign him to a 3 year deal paying 12-15 million this year and then 2-3 the next two. That would make say a 3 year, 18 million contract paying on average 6 m per year. I think both parties would do that in a heartbeat. Only concern would be Fletch retiring after this season. There could be a clause written in that if he retires b4 the end of the 3 years, part of the singing bonus is due back.

If you pay him $12 the first year how much will be base and how much is the signing bonus?

$4M base would mean a cap hit of $6.7M in 2012, $4.7M the following 2 years. A four year deal might be better.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Return to General Manager's Office