Redskins will trade up to snag RG3 Mock Draft

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Redskins will trade up to snag RG3 Mock Draft

Postby 1niksder » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:36 am

MOCK DRAFT 2012 By Charley Casserly | NFL Network

He only did the fist round and didn't say what the move would cost...
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:46 am

Let's hope he's right.

The more I think about it the more it has to happen. Initially I was against giving up loads of important draft picks for him but you have to remember:

1. If the QB situation isn't resolved satisfactorily this off season then the press and the fans will not get behind Shanny fully, and if things turn sour next season the pressure will really be on him. can he really survive another losing season...?

2. Well, yes he can, but only if we've got RGIII on board. Then everyone will be more forgiving if we have say, another 5-11 type season, as we will have our franchise QB in place and he will have had a valuable year under his belt. People will be saying 'Go build a team around him Shanny'. If we don't have Griffin then it will be 'You've had all this time and we STILL don't have a bloody franchise QB in place! No wonder we can't post a winning season!'.

If we select Tannehill the same arguement may work, its just that the rick factor is greater with Tannehill and he will not capture the publics imagination like RGIII would.

3. If we trade up for RGIII then we may well still have a 3rd rd and a 4th rd pick this draft (we've got 2 in the 4th remember), but we do have the chance to add a quality WR, OL, CB in the free agent market. We're lucky to have the cap space we do at this time, it's for a reason, so we can go for RGIII and still strengthen our weakest spots.

in summary, getting RGIII on board, together with some experinced pros through free agency buys Shanny more time to build this team the way he wanst to.

Waiting to pick from next years crop of QBs is a massive gamble as he may not be here by then if we struggle again.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:55 pm

This is a really good mock draft (especially coming from somebody knowledgeable like Charlie Casserly). Most of these guys won't take a guess at trades.

The thing I like is that it shows why the Browns don't really have to trade up for RGIII or even take him if he was still available at 4. With those two first round picks they could get two quality players - including a QB.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:24 pm

I'd love the Skins to get RGIII - and to do that they have to trade up

This season's success is not going to be determined by having RGIII or not

This team has to acquire a QB for the now and a QB for the future - they will do both

This FO also has many other key issues that they need to address to ensure the offense is able to be a lot more effective

this all gets done and adding RGIII is great

the other offensive issues need to be addressed even if we don't get RGIII
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

things will get better .... hopefully soon

Hail to the Redskins

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:10 pm

SkinsJock wrote:the other offensive issues need to be addressed even if we don't get RGIII

Really? Do you think Mike and Bruce know about this?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby PickSixerTWSS » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:17 pm

Perfect! :D
Hail Robert Griffin III!

21 Sean Taylor will never be forgotten.....

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:49 am

Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:the other offensive issues need to be addressed even if we don't get RGIII

Really? Do you think Mike and Bruce know about this?

I know they do - is there a doubt in your mind

OR

is this just another really helpful question

:lol:

I'm hoping that we get RGIII

our success THIS SEASON is not solely based on who is playing QB
any FA QB would make this offense better than when Grossman was running it

RGIII is a long term gain not a quick fix to our offense

we will be better off in the years to come if we get RGIII
but we are certainly not going to be adding 3 or 4 very talented players at other positions if we get RGIII
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

Hail to the Redskins

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:20 am

I would think that they would be.

The flip side is, how much better will RGIII or any capable QB make the other players? How good/bad is this offensive line? How terrible are the WR's, really? If you put Peyton is his prime behind our o-line, they look 200x better cus he's not patting the ball 20 times and 2nd guessing what he see's. If you put Peyton in his prime with our WR's, they're 200x better cus the ball isn't too high, too low, in the dirt, behind them, or anywhere else but where it should be...

All I'm saying is that, good QB play will elevate who is already here. It'll elevate who we add. I'm excited.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:53 am

+1 - agreed

I cannot wait - I truly think that these guys will add RGIII

What some here are not fully realizing is that we'll finally have a QB and not just for this season or next - the truly great part of this deal will be in the later years

nobody is going to look back at the end of the 2016 season and say "can you imagine how good we would be if we hadn't given up all those picks in 2012"

I look forward to putting players around this guy for a long, long time

Hail to the Redskins

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:21 pm

i just hope the skins make the right decision moving forward and for the franchise for many years ahead.

wait and see.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

Return to General Manager's Office