Do you think Mr Nicks will be coming to Washington..

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!

Would You Give Nicks $9.4M per year?

Pay the Man we Need Him
73%
I'll find someone else, cheaper
27%

Total votes : 15
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Do you think Mr Nicks will be coming to Washington..

Postby 1niksder » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:28 am

Carl Nicks expects to make more than teammate Evans

We wrote Monday how the Saints would love to use the franchise tag on guard Carl Nicks, if the team can get Drew Brees signed to a long-term deal first.

The biggest reason that the tag would be great for Nicks: He’s going to cost a ridiculous amount of money.

Carl Nicks told Rich Gannon and Jim Miller on Sirius XM Tuesday that Nicks wants and expects to make more money than teammate Jahri Evans, who signed a seven-year, $56.7 million contract in 2010 that made Evans the highest paid guard in the league at the time.

(Logan Mankins signed a deal with an $8.5 million average since, making him the highest paid guard.)

Nicks’ logic is airtight: Two years have passed since Evans’ deal. Nicks is also coming off a year where he outplayed Evans, although Nicks was too polite to say that. Nicks said he has not talked contract with the Saints yet.

We can’t imagine the Saints can afford to pay Nicks that much money with Evans already on the books and Brees about to get a monster contract. The only way the Saints can possibly keep Nicks will be to sign Brees before March 5, then use the tag on Nicks.

The Saints may not be able to afford him but can the Redskins afford to get him at what he'll be asking? Franchise tag money ($9.4M a year)
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Re: Do you think Mr Nicks will be coming to Washington..

Postby PickSixerTWSS » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:30 am

1niksder wrote:Carl Nicks expects to make more than teammate Evans

We wrote Monday how the Saints would love to use the franchise tag on guard Carl Nicks, if the team can get Drew Brees signed to a long-term deal first.

The biggest reason that the tag would be great for Nicks: He’s going to cost a ridiculous amount of money.

Carl Nicks told Rich Gannon and Jim Miller on Sirius XM Tuesday that Nicks wants and expects to make more money than teammate Jahri Evans, who signed a seven-year, $56.7 million contract in 2010 that made Evans the highest paid guard in the league at the time.

(Logan Mankins signed a deal with an $8.5 million average since, making him the highest paid guard.)

Nicks’ logic is airtight: Two years have passed since Evans’ deal. Nicks is also coming off a year where he outplayed Evans, although Nicks was too polite to say that. Nicks said he has not talked contract with the Saints yet.

We can’t imagine the Saints can afford to pay Nicks that much money with Evans already on the books and Brees about to get a monster contract. The only way the Saints can possibly keep Nicks will be to sign Brees before March 5, then use the tag on Nicks.

The Saints may not be able to afford him but can the Redskins afford to get him at what he'll be asking? Franchise tag money ($9.4M a year)
If we really have all the money that you say we do, but right now what is his base salary?
Hail Robert Griffin III!

21 Sean Taylor will never be forgotten.....

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:35 am

I think so. He's at a great age too, mid 20s, could be the rock we build the line around for years to come...
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:34 am

I heard the interview. No thanks.

Hog

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:46 am

frankcal20 wrote:I heard the interview. No thanks.

What in the interview made you feel this way?

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:47 am

Naw, our line played better as the year progressed. Once the backups got some time to gel, they were able to run the ball great.

It's hard to gauge how good these guys are with idiots at QB and with all the injuries.

They need to draft someone or build with who they have. I wouldn't spend big money on this guy.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:16 pm

If we have the money to spend on a quality lineman, I'd do it. I think the big problem with our line last year wasn't that they were terrible, but there wasn't enough quality depth. Once some guys started getting injured, it was all over.

goskins

Postby GoSkins » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:36 pm

Nicks is the man.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Mississippiskinsfan2 wrote:

One, I didn't like how "unenthused" he sounded. He sounds like he should be the highest paid lineman in the NFL. My feeling after hearing him was that he's a guy who's only looking to get paid and maybe not come in and work - something that Shanahan and the team are going to expect. He can get better but it requires focus on his craft, not his paycheck.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:29 pm

Pay the Man
SPIT HAPPENS!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:45 am

It would be fantastic for this franchise to bring in Nicks and for him to be the highest paid O lineman in the NFL

the only way that happens is if he can convince this FO that he's worth it to our O line

IF we can get Nicks, no matter who the QBs are for the Redskins this season - they should pay half his salary

the Saints should keep this player - he's shown he's worth a lot of money
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:13 am

frankcal20 wrote:
Mississippiskinsfan2 wrote:

One, I didn't like how "unenthused" he sounded. He sounds like he should be the highest paid lineman in the NFL. My feeling after hearing him was that he's a guy who's only looking to get paid and maybe not come in and work - something that Shanahan and the team are going to expect. He can get better but it requires focus on his craft, not his paycheck.

You guys are scaring me. I'm having flashbacks of Fat Al!!!!

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:28 pm

The Hogster wrote:Pay the Man

Agreed. We have a bunch of average linemen and an underachieving top 10 pick. If we can afford it, money on a stud linemen is money well spent imo, especially if we are planning to bring in a young qb.
Suck and Luck

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:35 pm

I'm down, we need the depth. Have Chester as a backup instead of a starter.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:46 pm

brad7686 wrote:I'm down, we need the depth. Have Chester as a backup instead of a starter.

+1
Or see how he fits on the other side
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Return to General Manager's Office