looking at the peyton option

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
swine

looking at the peyton option

Postby Prowl33 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:05 pm

As much as some people love the option, and some are dead opposed to it, it is a possible way for the skins to potentially go. So what is everyone's opinion?

Mine personally, he is deemed healthy by 2 doctors now which is a good sign, but not 100% assurance in any sense. I think it is worth picking him up, and this is why.

1) we have the cap space as long as we don't overpay for what this situation is, and that is a risk.
2) if we do it, short contract and performance based if we do good pay out, if we don't, then don't pay, lets protect ourselves
3) if he plays well its a short term solution with a long term benefit. He can help us win games and really bring a new level of confidence and leadership to the team. Also, lets still draft a qb, and give whoever we end up drafting a solid year or 2 under peyton, who better to learn under, imagine a skilled rookie qb under a hall of gamer and what he can learn.
4) its a lot less of a risk than trading up and breaking the draft pick bank on a possibility of a rookie an coming in a fixing all our problems, get peyton, keep the picks or even trade down to really fill up on young talent in needed spots. Draft a high receiver for a #1, throw moss in the slot, and put hankerson on the opposite side.

In any event, this will be a very interesting off season for us.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: looking at the peyton option

Postby 1niksder » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:45 pm

Prowl33 wrote:As much as some people love the option, and some are dead opposed to it, it is a possible way for the skins to potentially go. So what is everyone's opinion?

Mine personally, he is deemed healthy by 2 doctors now which is a good sign, but not 100% assurance in any sense. I think it is worth picking him up, and this is why.

1) we have the cap space as long as we don't overpay for what this situation is, and that is a risk.
2) if we do it, short contract and performance based if we do good pay out, if we don't, then don't pay, lets protect ourselves
3) if he plays well its a short term solution with a long term benefit. He can help us win games and really bring a new level of confidence and leadership to the team. Also, lets still draft a qb, and give whoever we end up drafting a solid year or 2 under peyton, who better to learn under, imagine a skilled rookie qb under a hall of gamer and what he can learn.
4) its a lot less of a risk than trading up and breaking the draft pick bank on a possibility of a rookie an coming in a fixing all our problems, get peyton, keep the picks or even trade down to really fill up on young talent in needed spots. Draft a high receiver for a #1, throw moss in the slot, and put hankerson on the opposite side.

He may not know until after the draft if he' 100% or not. That alone renders Peyton a non-option.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

B-rad

Postby brad7686 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:42 am

I think he's healthy enough to play. Signing him would give us a chance to fill a lot of holes and possibly have 3 or 4 years of solid qb play. However, Griffin is pretty good. Hopefully they have a vibe already about whether they have a good shot at Griffin. Also, the neck could become a problem i'm sure if peyton gets hit a certain way.

You have to consider how much we will have to give up to get Griffin, and the following disturbing facts.

We have no...

- #1 receiver
- #1 Guard
- Strong Safety

We are a little sketchy at

- Corner
- Tackle
- Center

We can't stay healthy at

- pretty much any position.

If Griff wasn't such a good prospect, I would be even more in the Manning camp.
No Pressure, No Diamonds

swine

Postby Prowl33 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:33 am

I really think griffin is a bad idea. He comes at the expense of too many good draft picks, basically killing this draft and the next for us, slowing us down for a few years. We could pick up someone like tannehil, fill our other gaps and start winning now.

Last season we were a couple Rex interceptions away from the playoffs. You insert a better qb into last years team and we beat the giants in a tie breaker and go to the playoffs. Then you bring in that this year we will have atleast a slightly improved defense, a healthy hankerson plus I'm sure a new wr through draft or fa, a better idea of what our runningbacks are capable of, and some new o line additions, the puzzle pieces are all there. What good college qb, like tannehil, couldn't grow and thrive in that.

If possible, peyton is a good piece to that puzzle. He helps us win now... I will take a gimp peyton over a healthy Rex any day, and let tannehil learn how to play qb from one of the best of all time.

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:00 pm

brad7686 wrote:I think he's healthy enough to play. Signing him would give us a chance to fill a lot of holes and possibly have 3 or 4 years of solid qb play. However, Griffin is pretty good. Hopefully they have a vibe already about whether they have a good shot at Griffin. Also, the neck could become a problem i'm sure if peyton gets hit a certain way.

You have to consider how much we will have to give up to get Griffin, and the following disturbing facts.

We have no...

- #1 receiver
- #1 Guard
- Strong Safety

We are a little sketchy at

- Corner
- Tackle
- Center

We can't stay healthy at

- pretty much any position.

If Griff wasn't such a good prospect, I would be even more in the Manning camp.

Even his own agent said yesterday that his arm isn't ready yet and they don't have a timetable for when it will be. He's clearly not healthy enough yet to play.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120204/SPORTS03/202040319/Can-Manning-regain-zip-his-throws-?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.com%7Cp
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:28 pm

Prowl33 wrote:I really think griffin is a bad idea. He comes at the expense of too many good draft picks, basically killing this draft and the next for us, slowing us down for a few years. We could pick up someone like tannehil, fill our other gaps and start winning now.

Just too early to make this statement without knowing what the cost would be to move up for RGIII. If the price is this year's #6 and next year's first rounder, I'd give it some consideration at least. We're talking about moving up from the #6 which shouldn't be as expensive as moving up from a lower draft position (unless we're bidding against another team).

Hog

Postby PickSixerTWSS » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:00 pm

1niksder wrote:
Prowl33 wrote:As much as some people love the option, and some are dead opposed to it, it is a possible way for the skins to potentially go. So what is everyone's opinion?

He may not know until after the draft if he' 100% or not. That alone renders Peyton a non-option.
you do know that he is cleared and will play? right?
Hail Robert Griffin III!

21 Sean Taylor will never be forgotten.....

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:22 pm

PickSixerTWSS wrote:
1niksder wrote:

See the link I posted above. The doctor that did his neck surgery said the neck is healthy enough for him to play. However, the Colts have not yet medically cleared him, and his own agent has said that his arm isn't ready yet and they dont know when it will be.
Suck and Luck

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:42 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:
PickSixerTWSS wrote:
1niksder wrote:

See the link I posted above. The doctor that did his neck surgery said the neck is healthy enough for him to play. However, the Colts have not yet medically cleared him, and his own agent has said that his arm isn't ready yet and they dont know when it will be.

He might be Peyton Manning, but Peyton Manning without the ability to throw like Peyton Manning will not be any help for the Skins in 2012.

They'll have to adjust to his way of running the offense or however they decide to deal with a Eli's big brother/The Coach's kid pairing, while the receiving corps adjust to a new QB whose speed and velocity will change as/if he gets his arm strength back.

The new League year starts in March... Peyton's arm strength is more or less the same as it was when he started throwing back in December.

It's February. You do the math.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

piglet

Postby G0V0LS33 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:17 pm

IMO RGIII is not the answer here. As said before we need that #1 receiver and have the chance to get that. Use the draft to get what we need not throw a few first rounders at someone that we have no idea if he will get our offense. We need some help on the o-line and use a third rounder to get Tannehill because he will be there. Just because he won the Heisman does not necessarily make him the next coming. Again this is my opinion and I would love to have Blackmon on O. Go Skins!
Hey Griswold, where do you think your gonna put a tree that big?

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:35 pm

A third rounder to get Tannehill? I don't think so. He's projected to go late in the first, and if last year's draft was any indication he'll probably go earlier than that.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Return to General Manager's Office