Hines Ward

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:56 pm
Location: New Jersey

Hines Ward

Postby Hooligan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:16 am

It looks like Hines Ward is being released by the Steelers. Pretty surprising. He's a hard worker, team-first guy and an overall class-act. He seems to fit the profile of player we want and could be a good veteran addition.

I haven't followed the Steelers much this year, but this move really surprised me. Does he have anything left in the tank? There has to be a reason they didn't let him retire a Steeler after all these years.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Hines Ward

Postby PickSixerTWSS » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:43 am

Hooligan wrote:It looks like Hines Ward is being released by the Steelers. Pretty surprising. He's a hard worker, team-first guy and an overall class-act. He seems to fit the profile of player we want and could be a good veteran addition.

I haven't followed the Steelers much this year, but this move really surprised me. Does he have anything left in the tank? There has to be a reason they didn't let him retire a Steeler after all these years.
I heard he was a cap causalty at 4.7 million a year, they were over the cap so they needed to realease cap casaultys. Don't be suprised if Casey Hampton is realeased.
Hail Robert Griffin III!

21 Sean Taylor will never be forgotten.....

kazoo
Posts: 10254
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Re: Hines Ward

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:51 am

Hooligan wrote:He's a hard worker, team-first guy and an overall class-act. He seems to fit the profile of player we want and could be a good veteran addition


For the right price, I agree. But I'd think given that we want to get younger I'd think a team that could use a quality vet would be willing to pay more then we should pay.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

**LPJ**
Posts: 6348
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:12 am
Location: Langley Park, MD *Tick Tock*

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:20 pm

He should go ahead and retire a Steeler now.. stop delaying the enevitable.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

#######
Posts: 7224
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Postby The Hogster » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Tank on E. I'm tired of winning the character bowl every year. We can't take all the good guys. You gotta have talented knuckleheads for the good guys to mentor. See Riggins, Dexter Manley etc.

I'll pass on Hines.
SPIT HAPPENS!!
___________________________

Canes Skin
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:02 pm
Location: Alexandria, VA

Re: Hines Ward

Postby CanesSkins26 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:36 pm

Hooligan wrote:It looks like Hines Ward is being released by the Steelers. Pretty surprising. He's a hard worker, team-first guy and an overall class-act. He seems to fit the profile of player we want and could be a good veteran addition.

I haven't followed the Steelers much this year, but this move really surprised me. Does he have anything left in the tank? There has to be a reason they didn't let him retire a Steeler after all these years.


Ward would be a pointless addition. We need a deep threat.
Suck and Luck

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: Hines Ward

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:25 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Hooligan wrote:He's a hard worker, team-first guy and an overall class-act. He seems to fit the profile of player we want and could be a good veteran addition


For the right price, I agree. But I'd think given that we want to get younger I'd think a team that could use a quality vet would be willing to pay more then we should pay.


I disagree. We have those qualities in Santana Moss, why would we circumvent his veteran leadership and create a rift in the locker room to get Ward?
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

kazoo
Posts: 10254
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Re: Hines Ward

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:39 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Hooligan wrote:He's a hard worker, team-first guy and an overall class-act. He seems to fit the profile of player we want and could be a good veteran addition


For the right price, I agree. But I'd think given that we want to get younger I'd think a team that could use a quality vet would be willing to pay more then we should pay.


I disagree. We have those qualities in Santana Moss, why would we circumvent his veteran leadership and create a rift in the locker room to get Ward?


First of all, I didn't exactly enthusiastically support we should do much to get him. However, if he came with a reasonable price tag:

1) Our receiver corps is pretty thin even if we get one or two studs.

2) We could cut him if he doesn't have enough in the tank.

3) I don't accept the premise that we can have one and only one veteran presence in the locker room

4) I don't think anyone else does either, particularly the people in the locker room.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: Hines Ward

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:11 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:First of all, I didn't exactly enthusiastically support we should do much to get him.


Didn't say that you were, I simply disagreed with bringing him in.


KazooSkinsFan wrote:However, if he came with a reasonable price tag:


I'm of the opinion that his career is done. Pitt doesn't release their "London Fletcher" if he can still contribute. There's no reasonalbe price tag to bring in a spent player so that he can take valuable reps from a younger player whom we drafted.


KazooSkinsFan wrote:1) Our receiver corps is pretty thin even if we get one or two studs.


True and I'd rather give those reps with someone who can get better.


KazooSkinsFan wrote:3) I don't accept the premise that we can have one and only one veteran presence in the locker room


I understand but at this point in his career, he won't be producing for us on the field. So what else would he be other than a cheerleader/leader? We don't need another veteran leader in the lockerroom when we have Phil Daniels and Santana Moss. We don't have roster spots to waste IMO.


KazooSkinsFan wrote:4) I don't think anyone else does either, particularly the people in the locker room.


Just because Hines Ward is brought on board doesn't mean people are going to gravitate to him because of who he is. He's who he is because of what he did in Pitt. Hines wouldn't be here long enough to earn the trust and respect of his teammates to warrant the roster spot, especially if we cut him like ur say we may. If they want him to motivate people, pay the man a few grand to come in as a motivational speaker but don't take reps away from Hankers, Niles and Aldrick for another teams spent goods.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

kazoo
Posts: 10254
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Re: Hines Ward

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:36 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Just because Hines Ward is brought on board doesn't mean people are going to gravitate to him because of who he is. He's who he is because of what he did in Pitt. Hines wouldn't be here long enough to earn the trust and respect of his teammates to warrant the roster spot, especially if we cut him like ur say we may. If they want him to motivate people, pay the man a few grand to come in as a motivational speaker but don't take reps away from Hankers, Niles and Aldrick for another teams spent goods.


Beyond Moss and Gaffney we still had little consistent production last year and we carried at one point 7 receivers. Even if you assume 6, we could use guys who can contribute. I don't do fantasy football, so I don't know how badly his production has declined. I agree that if he really can't contribute much then it's not worth wasting time on him. But my understanding was that the cap was a big part of his being cut.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: Hines Ward

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:26 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:Beyond Moss and Gaffney we still had little consistent production last year and we carried at one point 7 receivers. Even if you assume 6, we could use guys who can contribute. I don't do fantasy football, so I don't know how badly his production has declined. I agree that if he really can't contribute much then it's not worth wasting time on him. But my understanding was that the cap was a big part of his being cut.


He was basically slow and surely phased out of the offense. Also, he made it publically known that he was willing to take a pay cut and do anything to stay in Pitt. All that said, they still cut the guy. I think we learned out lesson with Philly/Donovan, once a reputable team said a guy is done, he's most likely done. U don't just cut a cornerstone guy, especially when he'll do anything to make it work financially unless he's washed up. Kinda sad to see his career end like that.

I agree that there was little production from WR's but it's hard to gauge when your QB is well below par. LOLOL
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

kazoo
Posts: 10254
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Re: Hines Ward

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:Beyond Moss and Gaffney we still had little consistent production last year and we carried at one point 7 receivers. Even if you assume 6, we could use guys who can contribute. I don't do fantasy football, so I don't know how badly his production has declined. I agree that if he really can't contribute much then it's not worth wasting time on him. But my understanding was that the cap was a big part of his being cut.


He was basically slow and surely phased out of the offense. Also, he made it publically known that he was willing to take a pay cut and do anything to stay in Pitt. All that said, they still cut the guy. I think we learned out lesson with Philly/Donovan, once a reputable team said a guy is done, he's most likely done. U don't just cut a cornerstone guy, especially when he'll do anything to make it work financially unless he's washed up. Kinda sad to see his career end like that.

I agree that there was little production from WR's but it's hard to gauge when your QB is well below par. LOLOL


It's a good argument he's not worth our time. Told you that you weren't a moron... :lol:
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: Hines Ward

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:10 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:Beyond Moss and Gaffney we still had little consistent production last year and we carried at one point 7 receivers. Even if you assume 6, we could use guys who can contribute. I don't do fantasy football, so I don't know how badly his production has declined. I agree that if he really can't contribute much then it's not worth wasting time on him. But my understanding was that the cap was a big part of his being cut.


He was basically slow and surely phased out of the offense. Also, he made it publically known that he was willing to take a pay cut and do anything to stay in Pitt. All that said, they still cut the guy. I think we learned out lesson with Philly/Donovan, once a reputable team said a guy is done, he's most likely done. U don't just cut a cornerstone guy, especially when he'll do anything to make it work financially unless he's washed up. Kinda sad to see his career end like that.

I agree that there was little production from WR's but it's hard to gauge when your QB is well below par. LOLOL


It's a good argument he's not worth our time. Told you that you weren't a moron... :lol:


SMH, don't give me too much credit. I was disgusted at the amount of typos in my last post. Jeez-louise! I'm shocked that you could follow what I was saying. lol
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Return to General Manager's Office