The NFL Sends Confusing Messages in Salary Cap Penalties

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:50 pm

I can somewhat understand the penalty. Not really, but for arguments sake let's just say it is justified. What I don't get is how they are going to give that confiscated cap space to the other teams??? How could that be more unfair? Not only penalize us, but reward the rest of the league? That's doing double damage. The Danny and the crypt keeper should get together and sue the NFL a la Al Davis. We should get to pick a player of our choice from every other team as restitution. :twisted:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:52 pm

Affects the trade? I don't see this even being brought up. Good reporters keep you locked with speculation that would keep viewers interested.... I hope
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:53 pm

Deadskins wrote:I can somewhat understand the penalty. Not really, but for arguments sake let's just say it is justified. What I don't get is how they are going to give that confiscated cap space to the other teams??? How could that be more unfair? Not only penalize us, but reward the rest of the league? That's doing double damage. The Danny and the crypt keeper should get together and sue the NFL a la Al Davis. We should get to pick a player of our choice from every other team as restitution. :twisted:

They did that in order to get the NFLPA to agree to the penalties.
Suck and Luck

kazoo

Re: The NFL Sends Confusing Messages in Salary Cap Penalties

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:56 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:Hogster you are a Lawyer. What can we do?

:shock: REALLY

hopefully 1niksder can give us some input - he's a lot more familiar with the salary cap

and has more NFL savvy :)

Not sure how an "uncapped" year in the collective bargaining agreement can be enforced as a capped year at a later date
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:00 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

hopefully 1niksder can give us some input - he's a lot more familiar with the salary cap

Not sure how an "uncapped" year in the collective bargaining agreement can be enforced as a capped year at a later date

I sure hope we don't take this BS lying down.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:02 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

That's what I am trying to figure out. There has to be legalities. Where do we fall? If Nik has the answers great if not I figured a lawyer might have some thoughts.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:03 pm

Or how contracts that were approved can be later not only penalized but also beneficial to every other team. Donate it to charity... Seems like double jeopardy.. fine us and help our opposition? That's fair since in an uncapped year or.not all we did was get rid of bums like fat al. Not sure what the hall reconstruction was but instead of... "They should cut me..." Maybe he helps pay w some of his salary? It's total crap jus glad it hurt the pukes aswell if there is ANY silver lining that is it
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:06 pm

From NFL.com

The Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins will have considerably less to work with when free agency opens on Tuesday.

The NFL has taken away millions in salary cap space from both teams after the two NFC East clubs pushed spending into the uncapped year to save money under the cap in 2011 and '12.

The money taken from Dallas and Washington will be put back into the pool, and spread in cap space among the other clubs. Teams were warned not to spend into the uncapped year as a way of circumventing the salary cap in the future.

"The Management Council Executive Committee determined that the contract practices of a small number of clubs during the 2010 league year created an unacceptable risk to future competitive balance, particularly in light of the relatively modest salary cap growth projected for the new agreement's early years," the NFL said in a statement.

"To remedy these effects and preserve competitive balance throughout the league, the parties to the CBA agreed to adjustments to team salary for the 2012 and 2013 seasons. These agreed-upon adjustments were structured in a manner that will not affect the salary cap or player spending on a league-wide basis."

Prior to the uncapped year, the competition committee warned teams that punishment would be levied for taking advantage of the circumstances. The Redskins and Cowboys were the most egregious offenders, as they dumped huge base salaries to players such as DeAngelo Hall, Albert Haynesworth and Miles Austin into the 2010 season in order to get the big numbers in those deals off the books while there was no cap.

The Oakland Raiders and New Orleans Saints took advantage on a more marginal level, in terms of front-loading contracts.

The competition committee would not give final approval of the new adjusted salary cap number for the 2012 season until this matter was taken care of. The union pushed to make sure the pool would not shrink, so it was decided that the savings from the Redskins' and Cowboys' infractions would go back in the pool, and be split among the 28 abiding teams.

;furious;

-drinking

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:11 pm

ALBERT HAYNESWORTH IS A TOTAL LONG-PUNT!!!
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:12 pm

First the NBA revoking a trade of Chris Paul to the Lakers due to other owners complaining and the league stating it's tyring to preserve competitive balance and now this crap. I get that if we did something wrong then get punished but this seems very sketchy and if the Saints and Raiders violated the same rules without punishment then why are they not punished. The same infraction should render the same or similar punishment. Sounds like the rest of the league doesn't want Snyder to be able to go out and get free agents so they complained and sold the idea of "competitive balance" to the league. Either that or i'm just being irrational because I was so pumped for tomorrrow....could be that, sigh.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:17 pm

According to the carry over thread we might be around 45 million in cap space

http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37552

Hog

Postby jmooney » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:26 pm

Appearantly the bears did the same thing with J.Peppers contract along with Green Bay, that player hasn't been named.

Neither of those teams were penalized.

Hog

Postby SprintRightOption » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:30 pm

CanesSkins26 wrote:
SprintRightOption wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
It's actually insane. The league was instructing teams not to spend above normal in the uncapped year. That's wildly illegal. It's a restraint of trade and they could have been sued into oblivion had any of that come out.

But the most recent CBA absolved the owners of any antitrust litigation, so now the league is punishing the Skins and Cowboys for not colluding with everyone else in previous CBA. The NFLPA signed off on this, unbelievably, by having that salary allocated to other teams. The thing is, this punishment just strengthens any future collusion. The NFLPA should be furious.

From a guy I'm discussing this with...

Assuming the new CBA included a provision against and anti-trust lawsuit, that provision is unlawful. You cannot include in a contract a provision that violates the public policy of the United States. If it were not so then slavery would be legal by contract.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes I do, It seems you are the one with legally challenged ideas.

-----------

Postby Smithian » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:31 pm

My guess is this was announced so close to the start of FA so that the Redskin and Cowboys would have limited time to respond legally.

I hope the Redskins and Cowboys legal departments have shared phone calls today. There has to be some way for these penalties to at least be reduced.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Pacman Rules

Postby gay4pacman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:31 pm

the eve of free agency and the nfl pulls this?

not sure how fair this is......and no ability to appeal?
I know this guy named Jimmy, he has a pet....POSTERNUTBAG! Thats his cats name, POSTERNUTBAG!!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football