Oxford University -- not just for Smart People....

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
Photo Hog

Oxford University -- not just for Smart People....

Postby tazlah » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:23 am

Two Charged After Human Catapult Death

LONDON (Reuters) - British police charged two men with manslaughter Tuesday following the death of an Oxford University student who was flung from a giant catapult.

Bulgarian Konstadin Yankov, 19, died last November when the stunt near the West Country town of Bridgewater went wrong.

"He had been thrown by a replica medieval catapult and failed to reach the landing net," said a police spokeswoman.

Yankov was on an outing with the Oxford Stunt Factory, an unofficial club at Oxford University where he was studying biochemistry. He had been the sixth person that day to be launched from the "trebuchet" catapult.

Organizers said at the time Yankov had been properly weighed and that the machine had been correctly calibrated before he was fired in a 30-yard arc. They did not know what had gone wrong.
#-o

(Found here: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... atapult_dc)

taz

Hog

Postby newshog » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:00 pm

I'd just like to point out (okay, so it's completely irrelevant to the larger point) that trebuchets are not catapults. Trebuchets rely on weight while catapults rely on tension. But both are seige engines. :rock:

Photo Hog

Postby tazlah » Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:14 pm

Thanks Newshog! :hail: That had, in fact, been nagging at me all day! I just hate when people mix up trebuchets and catapults! :lol: Makes a world of difference when you want to launch an Oxford student!

taz

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:15 am

Medieval catapult?

LIGHTNING BOLT! LIGHTNING BOLT!

ATTACK! ATTACK!

DEFENSE! RETREAT, RETREAT!

LIGHTNING BOLT!

I'M HIT! ARRRGGHHHH...

I lost, game over. Dag gone it!

THN, can YOU name that THN Member??? :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:43 pm

You've got to control immigration levels somehow......
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:07 pm

newshog wrote:I'd just like to point out (okay, so it's completely irrelevant to the larger point) that trebuchets are not catapults. Trebuchets rely on weight while catapults rely on tension. But both are seige engines. :rock:

You are absolutely correct. I recently built a trebuchet with my son for the local science olympiad. While we were not lauching humans, we did do well enough that he is advancing to the state competition later this month.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Deadskins wrote:
newshog wrote:I'd just like to point out (okay, so it's completely irrelevant to the larger point) that trebuchets are not catapults. Trebuchets rely on weight while catapults rely on tension. But both are seige engines. :rock:

You are absolutely correct. I recently built a trebuchet with my son for the local science olympiad. While we were not lauching humans, we did do well enough that he is advancing to the state competition later this month.

Well dag.. I totally didn't expect that but that's great bro!! Congrats to you and the lil homie, I hope he gets one of the top positions buddy!!!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to The Lounge