Washington coach closes training camp to public

Archive of our daily coverage of the Washington Redskins' 2003-2007 Training Camps.
~~~~

Washington coach closes training camp to public

Postby ANT7088 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:43 am

For seven months, Washington fans have anticipated the opening of Joe Gibbs' first training camp in 12 years as coach of the Redskins. Too bad they won't get to see much of it.

The Redskins open training camp next Saturday at their home training base in Ashburn, Va., one of 32 camps that start in the next 10 days. Denver, Chicago, Carolina and St. Louis begin the process Tuesday.

But Washington fans, who have waited for this week since their Hall of Fame coach was re-hired last January, may not get to see much. While most teams encourage their supporters to attend drills, the new/old coach is probably restricting fan access.

"I don't care if you're taking a test or what you're doing," Gibbs says. "If there's things walking around, and people talking, good-looking girls walking up and down the sidelines and everything, then generally what people do is: 'I'd rather look over there than look out here.' So that's a problem, distractions are."

Despite the return of Gibbs and owner Daniel Snyder's annual signing flurry, Washington isn't the favourite in its own division, the NFC East.

That designation goes to Philadelphia, losers of three straight conference title games. The Eagles have added pass rusher Jevon Kearse and Terrell Owens, the standout wide receiver they desperately needed. Still, that guarantees little in this era of parity, especially with potential locker room problems after the departure of cornerback and team leader Troy Vincent to Buffalo and the addition of the tempestuous and moody Owens.

The overall Super Bowl favourite may again be New England, which could equal the mark of the 1992-95 Cowboys with three titles in four years.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/WinnipegS ... 55057.html
AnTsSkInZ

+++

Postby NikiH » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:13 am

I don't get this article. The time line for training camp has already been set. Are they saying the players are just going to be sitting on the bench while the fans are around. That makes absolutely no sense!
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:19 am

I guess that they are saying not as many days at camp will be open to the public as is the past. If it leads to more wins it's ok by me.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

piggie

Postby The Skins Fan » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:04 pm

If it leads to more wins it's ok by me.

I couldn't agree more...Of course that is that opening day is open to the public since that is the only day im going to be able to go :D
Hail to the Redskins...Hail Victory!!!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:39 pm

I assume it means that Gibbs wants the players to concentrate in him, and the rest of the coaching staff -- not on spectators.

Good. It seemed like the team lacked a little concentration under Spurrier. :wink:

+++

Postby NikiH » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:33 pm

Trust me when I say last year with a leader like Spurrier they didn't even notice the fans until after the practice, some not even then. With Gibbs there they will probably be even more disciplined.
Whenever I start to get blue, I just breathe!

My favortie line from the Simpsons:

Flanders: "Looks like someone is having a pre-rapture party!"

Homer: "No Flanders, it's a meeting of gay witches for abortion , you wouldn't be interested!"

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:46 pm

this makes sense
Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs on his likely decision to restrict fan access from his first training camp in 12 years: “I don’t care if you’re taking a test or what you’re doing. If there’s things walking around, and people talking, good-looking girls walking up and down the sidelines and everything, then generally what people do is: ‘I’d rather look over there than look out here.’ So that’s a problem, distractions are.”
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby GibbSkins » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:53 pm

this is the best thing that has happened to the skins...fan'..are a great thing but if u aint wining then to hell with the fans...what we need is just what gibbs has issued...not much fan fair...just work....the fans will be there when u start winning...gibbs make it happen!!!!!f..the fans just start bringing back the smash mouth football..us real fans have been waiting for.
"These are the times that try men's souls......Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph." --Thomas Paine

Return to Redskins Training Camp - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007