How would you free up cap space?

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

How would you free up cap space?

Postby 1niksder » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:56 pm

I'm not sure of the full impact of the Flecther deal but I'm think his deal eat up about half of the $6.6M of cap space that was left. So I'm thinking the Cap space available right now is about $3.5M....

So who would you trade or cut to free up cap space? Here are the most obvious players that would be mentioned based on current salaries, performance and/or needs.

1. John Beck would free up $1.3M.... Shanny may only go with two QBs, and he'll have two RG3s by the end of the month, true savings would be about $820K with the rule of 51

2. Reed Doughty would free up $1.15M.... The Redskins went "into 2011 WR mode" with the safeties the off season so they have options, true savings would be $670K

3. Jabar Gaffney would free up $2.65M... They brought in two new guys, paid them both more money (cap-wise), true savings would be $2.17M

4. Jammal Brown no replacement has been found in free agency but he was constantly by guys still on the roster last year. Moving him before June 1st would actually cost the team $1.25M this year, but after June 1 he would free up $3.25M with $4.5M (less than his 2013 cap hit will be) in dead cap next year. True savings post June 1st would be $2.77M

5. Chris Cooley no replacement has been found and Davis has his own issues, moving him before June 1st will free up $2.06M or $3.9M after June 1st and $1.83M (less than his 2013 cap hit) in dead cap in 2013. True savings would be $1.58M before June 1 or $3.42M after June 1st

6. DeAngelo Hall not much to say about a guy that's being paid as a shutdown corner who isn't a shutdown corner, Bruce Allen did what he could with the deal VinnyC signed him to and got slapped with $36M in penalties. Hall would free up $6.2M before June 1st and $6.5M after June 1st (without Allen reworking the deal cutting Hall this year would have added about $2.5M to his current $6.8M 2012 hit), true savings woulf be $5.72M or $6.02M in 2013 with $300K in dead cap next year.

7. Santana Moss would free up $1.4M before June 1 and $3.1 after June 1st with $1.6M in dead cap, true saving would be $920K before June 1 and $2.61 after June 1st.

8. Other options available are the restructures of contracts signed by Chris Chester, Stephen Bowen, Brian Orakpo or any of the last four guys listed, and signing Fred Davis to a long term deal would lower his franchise tag number of $5.4M to about half of what it is now.

What would you do to free up space?

The four at the top of the list along with signing Davis and re-working Orakpo's contract (give him cash and add some years to his deal), would be the route I'd go.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:01 pm

Can we cut Haynesworth... again?
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:06 pm

Countertrey wrote:Can we cut Haynesworth... again?

He's already taking up $2M in dead cap this year....

Total dead cap equals $2.382M
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

JSPB22

Re: How would you free up cap space?

Postby Deadskins » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:29 pm

1niksder wrote:What would you do to free up space?

Wait for the arbitrator to rule.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby 1niksder » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:32 pm

Deadskins wrote:

Need a rookie pool of $6.5M prior to the draft in ADDITION to the rule of 51, After the draft space will be needed for injuries... the arbitrator doesn't have time restraints the team has 09 Days, 01 Hours, 28 Minutes, 09 Seconds.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:37 pm

1niksder wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Need a rookie pool of $6.5M prior to the draft in ADDITION to the rule of 51, After the draft space will be needed for injuries... the arbitrator doesn't have time restraints the team has 09 Days, 01 Hours, 28 Minutes, 09 Seconds.

We'll see.

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby 1niksder » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:42 pm

I love for a ruling soon.... too late for one in a timely manner
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Countertrey wrote:Can we cut Haynesworth... again?

Come on now, Mr. "Pay da man". You gotta do better than that! :)

Beck seems like a given, too bad he won't save us more money than that. D-Hall is a big chunk of change, but I don't know that we can really afford to let him go. Sad as that is. Gaffney seems like he could be the move we have to make.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:40 pm

Deadskins wrote:
1niksder wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

We'll see.

We'll see? You're anticipating that we will get an arbitration date set, go to arbitration AND get a ruling all in the next nine days? Hopefully the Skins FO isn't banking on that... :)

Postby 1niksder » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:43 pm

riggofan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
1niksder wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

We'll see.

We'll see? You're anticipating that we will get an arbitration date set, go to arbitration AND get a ruling all in the next nine days? Hopefully the Skins FO isn't banking on that... :)

No they aren't
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:22 pm

Thanks 1niksder - I was hoping we could 'wait and see' .. that obviously ain't happening :roll:

I think a lot of us are going to be a little surprised at who is 'moved' in the next 9 days
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:05 am

riggofan wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
1niksder wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

We'll see.

They have more info than we do on the process. I'm thinking the hearings may have already taken place, and they are awaiting the ruling.

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:19 am

not agreeing with the Dead man but ...

the arbitrator's not ruling on this by now is not good for the Skins ... IMHO

I think the hearings have been held and if the arbitrator thought that the pukes and the Redskins had been wrongly treated he would have addressed this sooner than later .....

hopefully that's misguided ... :roll:

Before the FO restructures Davis contract they need to be certain that he's made a HUGE turnaround
I don't care how good a player is if he's not TOTALLY committed - and he clearly demonstrated where his priorities were

I had huge hopes for Davis and am REALLY pissed off about the choices he (and Trent Williams) made
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:57 am

The hearings are being rumored to happen in May so we'll need to make some movements in the next week.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:20 am

frankcal20 wrote:The hearings are being rumored to happen in May so we'll need to make some movements in the next week.

well that's good .... in a way :roll:

the FO has a much better idea of what our chances are with this whole BS than we do and we'll see that in the decisions they make here both before and after we get RGIII

Return to General Manager's Office