Where can RGIII improve?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:01 am

I think most fans.....and coaches....expect far more from RGIII than a smaller version of Cunningham. Heck, the other two qb's are compared with SB winning players.......RGIII is compared with a good qb who had one exceptional year in Minn with one of the best receiver tandems ever to play the game i.e. young Randy Moss and Chris Carter. A college qb can only develop as far as the system allows, and as far as the colege coaching staff can train him. Comments mentioned in article duly noted.....check back in a year or two for accuracy evaluation.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Hog

Postby jmooney » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:32 am

The biggest improvement he could make at this point ?

His zip code. Get the hell out of Texas young man!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:25 am

Red_One43 wrote:This is and isn't my biggest concern with RGIII: Kyle!!!

He is: Kyle wants the offense to be run exactly the way he wants it to be run. Can RGIII work with the seemingly rigid Kyle? Will there be room for any RGIII "feel" for the game?

He isn't: Look what Kyle's offense did for Grossman (The fact that Grossman couldn't stop turning the ball over is not the fault of the offensive scheme). Look what it did for Shaub. T.J. Yates.

I'm not following your post. Do you want RGIII to run the offense the way it is designed or do you want him to him to be McNabb?

I would hope that a guy as smart, young and skilled as RGIII will come in and learn to run the offense. I'd also hope that his talent will allow him to improvise when things break down. I would hope FURTHER that when RGIII struggles this year we don't all go crazy about Kyle Shanahan and end up with another coach or offensive coordinator in 2013.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:33 am

riggofan wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:This is and isn't my biggest concern with RGIII: Kyle!!!

He is: Kyle wants the offense to be run exactly the way he wants it to be run. Can RGIII work with the seemingly rigid Kyle? Will there be room for any RGIII "feel" for the game?

He isn't: Look what Kyle's offense did for Grossman (The fact that Grossman couldn't stop turning the ball over is not the fault of the offensive scheme). Look what it did for Shaub. T.J. Yates.

I'm not following your post. Do you want RGIII to run the offense the way it is designed or do you want him to him to be McNabb?

I would hope that a guy as smart, young and skilled as RGIII will come in and learn to run the offense. I'd also hope that his talent will allow him to improvise when things break down. I would hope FURTHER that when RGIII struggles this year we don't all go crazy about Kyle Shanahan and end up with another coach or offensive coordinator in 2013.

If you are not following my post, that's OK, because the confliction is on me. :)

I want to believe that Kyle will do the right thing, but then again, I have seen Kyle in action.

In the article I posted, Rex talks how rigid Kyle is with is offense - right down to the number of hitches - Will this work for a creative QB like RGIII? This could be great for a rookie, but RGIII is not just any rookie This is my concern.

I rather a coach tweak to the player than the player tweak to the coach and the tweaking be done to give us the best chance to win. It doesn't have to be the my way or the highway impasse like McNabb vs Kyle.

Why do you offer extremes on this issue? - McNabb or follow Kyle's offense as is.

Why can't we do a little tweaking like the Panthers did for Cam (Ok, they did a lot - not saying that much)? I am not saying add elements for the spread, so RGIII can run like they did for Cam, but add elements that suit RGIII's strengths.

I am reading Mike Shanahan's book, "Think Like a Champion." In the book, he addresses his critics that say he doesn't make adjustments. Mike says when he has a QB that he trusts, he always gives them to input and makes adjustments to suit them, BUT this is Mike talking not Kyle.

In summary, I am a homer, so I am going to trust that the Shanahans (to include Kyle) will do RGIII right because they have too much invested in him and RGIII is no Donovan McNabb - but this doesn't mean that I am not still concerned for now.

I don't advocate for Kyle to be fired. He has more upside than faults. I am with you on that.
Last edited by Red_One43 on Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:47 am

jmooney wrote:The biggest improvement he could make at this point ?

His zip code. Get the hell out of Texas young man!

I love my home state of Texas, but when someone gave me the same advice as yours, I took it an moved up here to be in Redskin Land. It was great advice!!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:01 am

There is no doubt that RG3 has a lot to live up to and the challenge he faces is to do what he can as well as he can and not push to do more

This kid has a lot of drive and desire to be as great as he can be - that is a part of what makes him so good

There is no doubt that Mike's immediate future depends on he & Kyle developing this VERY talented QB to be as great as he can be

RG3 is not going to be an instantly great QB but he will help the offense as long as these guys help & encourage RG3 and don't try and force him to be better

RG3 is going to experience a big adjustment from the college game .. PLUS he's going to try and get what these guys want from the offense

Mike & Kyle need to help RG3 be the great QB he can be not try and make him something he's not

RG3 has all the intangibles ... hopefully the guys that are molding him are up to the task too ... THIS is very important
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:11 am

CanesSkins26 wrote:This is from December, but mentions some areas he can improve on...

"That offense made things simple on him," said the scout. "Because he's such a running threat, he saw soft coverage, you didn't see defensive ends bending the corner to get him. They played him different to keep him in the pocket, and as a result, he got passing lanes he may not get in the pros. It's a problem, because he's got average-to-below-average size. The Vick comparison is there, because you figure he'll miss games (due to injury), but you can't tell him not to run, because that's what makes him special."

The scout continued that, "There's gonna be a significant development period. Him moreso than anyone. You can't fault him for what they didn't ask him to do. I think he's capable of it. But it's natural as a talent evaluator to want to see it."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8254ff24/article/with-barkley-now-out-of-picture-attention-turns-to-griffin

Overall, I think that this article is a fair assessment of RGIII.

I want to address the concern that RGIII played in a simple offense. The offense at Auburn was made simple for Cam Newton as well. That's the nature of spread offenses. While I agree, that it is a legit concern (It will be raised for Landry Jones next year), it is not like the Andy Dalton's, Sam Bradford's and Cam Newton's could not adjust to the pro game in their rookie seasons. For me, I have no doubts that RGIII will adjust very well to the pro style offense. The scouts are also saying that RGIII is a smart football player - if this part of his game is really true, then the odds are RGIII will have no problem picking up the pro offenses. We have seen Tebow struggle with the pro offense, not because of his lack of football smarts. It was because of his lack of skills - RGIII has the skills. JaMarcus Russell busted not because he lacked the skills. He lacked the work ethic - RGIII has the work ethic.

In the article, it also mentioned RGIII taking unnecessary hits. Tthat is a concern for me as well. I hope that he adds the slide to his repertoire.

Thanks for the post, Canes.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:57 pm

The desire and will to be better will help him

hopefully the coaches can help too

this kid will find a way to be better than the expectations that others have for him - that is what makes some players better than others

Eli will never be better than Peyton - he doesn't want it bad enough

look at the desire by QBs like Montana, Brady and Brees - some QBs are just naturally good and want to be better

RG3 does not simply want to be better for himself - RG3 is HIGHLY motivated to make everybody else around him better

this kid is special :D

Andrew Luck has a lot more talent and seems better prepared initially

I doubt Andrew Luck is as driven to be great a QB as RG3 - both will be great but RG3 has more drive and desire

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:04 pm

Red_One43, meant to comment on that article you posted WRT Kyle.....was an interesting read. I would guess, however, that every coach is, to varying degrees, a control freak. Parcells wanted to buy the groceries in addition to cooking the meal! While I do not mind control, there is the absurd end of that, and the article kind of hints to that.

I think what you are getting at.....and hopefully what will happen....is that Mike and Kyle will design their offense to best suit RGIII, and the talent level around him currently. Don't think this will need to be the change that John Fox went through in Denver with the insertion of Tebow as starting QB.....but Kyle cannot be so locked into his "system" that we do not provide our QB with the best opportunity to succeed.

I am still not sold on the younger Shanahan.....but the elder Shanahan has a proven track history with QB's (though all is not roses there either) so am with you in trusting our coaching staff to help RGIII live up to his potential and the hype.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Mike will not let ANYONE not make sure that everything and anything we do offensively is geared towards whatever is good for RG3

I believe the offense will be brought along and plays added according to what suits RG3... NOT whatever Kyle wants

Canes Skin

Postby CanesSkins26 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:03 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Mike will not let ANYONE not make sure that everything and anything we do offensively is geared towards whatever is good for RG3

I believe the offense will be brought along and plays added according to what suits RG3... NOT whatever Kyle wants

What have you seen from the coaches so far that makes you think that?
Suck and Luck

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:15 pm

Hey, sorry about the double post.....unintentional....

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:24 pm

rskin72 wrote:Red_One43, meant to comment on that article you posted WRT Kyle.....was an interesting read. I would guess, however, that every coach is, to varying degrees, a control freak. Parcells wanted to buy the groceries in addition to cooking the meal! While I do not mind control, there is the absurd end of that, and the article kind of hints to that.

I think what you are getting at.....and hopefully what will happen....is that Mike and Kyle will design their offense to best suit RGIII, and the talent level around him currently. Don't think this will need to be the change that John Fox went through in Denver with the insertion of Tebow as starting QB.....but Kyle cannot be so locked into his "system" that we do not provide our QB with the best opportunity to succeed.

I am still not sold on the younger Shanahan.....but the elder Shanahan has a proven track history with QB's (though all is not roses there either) so am with you in trusting our coaching staff to help RGIII live up to his potential and the hype.

We are in agreement here. I really think that RGIII is a perfect fit for this offense and I really think that RGIII will have an outstanding rookie season, but last year did damage to my homerism, so I having a "it's too good to be true" moment right now. I can't wait to get him into the OTAs and mini camps and hear that he is picking up the offense fine and the reporters and us fans are ooooohing that aaaaawing about his throws.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:59 pm

poster padding

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:07 pm