RGIII on Mike & Mike

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

RGIII on Mike & Mike

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:00 am

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7849159

Good interview well worth a listen. Just curious btw, espn noted RG keeps talking up his center Philip Blake. Calls him the best athlete at Baylor this year. Any chance he's a player Shanny would consider?

DarthMonk

Re: RGIII on Mike & Mike

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:21 am

riggofan wrote:http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7849159

Good interview well worth a listen. Just curious btw, espn noted RG keeps talking up his center Philip Blake. Calls him the best athlete at Baylor this year. Any chance he's a player Shanny would consider?

Let's hope so.

DarthMonk wrote:All these guys are projected to start in the NFL eventually. I've yellow highlighted those projected to go after the 2nd round. I've also bolded RGIII's center. Would love to get him.

DarthMonk wrote:By Charlie Campbell:

Peter Konz, 6-5, 314
While his Combine performance doesn't help, when teams go back and look at the tape of last season, Konz's stock figures to get a boost. The junior produced a stack of dominant tapes for NFL evaluators in 2011. He played well against future draft picks like Michigan State's Jerel Worthy and Nebraska's Jared Crick. The Badgers have had a fabulous running offense, and Konz is an excellent run blocker. He seals holes well, gets to the second level, and puts defenders on the ground regularly. Konz did a solid job in pass protection for quarterback Russell Wilson.

Philip Blake, 6-3, 311
Throughout 2011, Blake was an excellent pass protector for Robert Griffin III, and opened up holes in the ground game for running back Terrance Ganaway. Blake is a good athlete for his size. He has the strength to push tackles aside and surprising quickness to hit blocks on linebackers. For the past two years, Blake was the starter at center, but he began his collegiate career at tackle.

Ben Jones, 6-2, 303
To start the season, Jones had a rough performance against Boise State and really struggled with defensive tackle Billy Winn. Jones (6-3, 316) allowed a sack and way too much pressure up the middle of the defense. After that game, he played really well for most of the year. Jones was a solid run blocker and improved his pass protection. He did not play well against LSU and Michigan State. Jones is a bigger center who would be a fit in a power-run scheme, and he will need to get better as a pass rusher.

Michael Brewster, 6-4, 312
On the plus side, Brewster is an intelligent technician who typically won his block at the college level. He is well-rounded as a run blocker and pass blocker. Early in the season, Brewster had excellent games against Miami defensive tackle Marcus Forston, and Nebraska defensive tackles Jared Crick and Baker Steinkuhler. In the NFL, Brewster may excel in a passing-led offense or a zone-blocking run scheme rather than a power-running attack

David Molk, 6-1, 298
Molk was a good college player, and he was the 2011 Remington Trophy recipient. Molk is a fast and mobile blocker who did a nice job of opening up running holes and protecting quarterback Denard Robinson. Molk was undersized when he played at Michigan prior to his Combine weigh-in. Based off his collegiate performance, at the next level, Molk would be best in a zone-blocking scheme. He didn't display the size and power for a man-blocking scheme, but that was before his Combine weigh-in. Now other teams could give consideration to Molk since he isn't in the 280s any more.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:22 am

I would love to see us be able to grab this kid with one of our 4th rounders. It would definitely be an upgrade from Monty and also help take a lot of pressure off of RGIII immediately with the familiarity and trust factor.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Well, it's clear that RGIII thinks so... There's a reason that he is talking him up... and not other team mates. Probably a good move... both on his part... and for the team to try to grab him. Griff may be pumping him a bit, but he is an excellent athlete.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:15 pm

Countertrey wrote:

Well, it's clear that RGIII thinks so... There's a reason that he is talking him up... and not other team mates. Probably a good move... both on his part... and for the team to try to grab him. Griff may be pumping him a bit, but he is an excellent athlete.

That sounds awesome. I've read that Montgomery is a better guard than a center. Truth?

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:18 pm

riggofan wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

That sounds awesome. I've read that Montgomery is a better guard than a center. Truth?

I don't think Monty is a starter at any position in the NFL, a decent backup at best. That's just my opinion, and I know a lot on this board disagree with me.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:24 pm

I think the RGIII love has gotten a little out of control on this board.

Sounds like people also want to make him our GM too.

As far as OL -- our priorities should be at OG and OT. C is not the current issue.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:54 pm

markshark84 wrote:I think the RGIII love has gotten a little out of control on this board.

As far as OL -- our priorities should be at OG and OT. C is not the current issue.

I disagree, I think C is a huge issue as I currently think that Monty is not a starter in the NFL.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:00 pm

^ Agree... but, I think if Ben Jones is there, we take him. Not quite as quick, but looks like a more complete package... and has also played Tackle...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:17 pm

As noted in my senior bowl evaluation, I thought Blake was a top 2 center. Very athletic for a big guy. I said two months ago as I will say now...mark my words, Blake will be on this team. He won't last until the 4th, so I suggestd using one of the 4th rounders and a 6th to move up to grab him. He can play either G or C and you could start him at center and move Monty to Guard, his better position. Use the 3rd to pick up a corner or T.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog

Postby FanofallthatisGibbs » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:17 am

The intangible of chemistry between a QB and his C is worth a stretch, and this is not even a stretch. That said, there are other picks for the 3rd and 4th round picks that could be great value as well, especially for our RT needs.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:56 am

markshark84 wrote:I think the RGIII love has gotten a little out of control on this board.

I don't see an issue grabbing a center that is worth the price of admission and has a level of familiarity with RGIII. It'll ease his transition into NFL both on and off the field. If we were looking to get a center when he's available and he's worth the pick, why not get someone he is familiar with?
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:17 am

Countertrey wrote:^ Agree... but, I think if Ben Jones is there, we take him. Not quite as quick, but looks like a more complete package... and has also played Tackle...

I like Jones as well, but I don't think he fits our zone blocking system as well as Blake, as he is more of a mauler. Blake is more athletic. I think he'd be better suited for a power running scheme like we use to have with the old hogs.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football