Redskins will get RGIII: Colts confirm Luck is their pick

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
FanFromAnnapolis

Redskins will get RGIII: Colts confirm Luck is their pick

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:33 pm

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d ... -nfl-draft

INDIANAPOLIS -- It's been considered a fait accompli for two years that Andrew Luck would become the first pick in the NFL draft. It's been out there for a week that the Indianapolis Colts have come to the conclusion that everyone thought they would.

And now it's official.

New Colts general manager Ryan Grigson announced Tuesday that the team will indeed do what's been expected since it locked up the first pick on Jan. 1 and draft the Stanford quarterback on Thursday night.

"In fairness to him, in the whole process and the media gauntlet he's going to be enduring over the next couple days, I thought it was the right thing to do to announce we're going to take him," Grigson said. "I didn't see the point in prolonging what the world already knew. It's about Andrew. We wanted to do the right thing by him."

The Colts insisted that, despite the widespread belief Luck has been destined to be the first overall pick for two years, their decision wasn't as simple as it might have seemed.

But it was always easy to read the tea leaves. Luck was invited to visit Indianapolis, and Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin was not. Luck privately worked out on campus for the Colts, and Griffin declined to work out for any team.

"We did our due diligence and studied them like heck," new Colts coach Chuck Pagano said of the quarterbacks. "Everybody thought this was the foregone conclusion. And really, on behalf of the kid and in trying to make things a little easier on his part, we (decided to go ahead) and make it official, and get it out there that he's our guy."

Darlington: QB evolution
Where is the QB position headed these days? Jeff Darlington says Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III provide a clue. More ...
Pagano didn't hold back in explaining why Luck was the choice.

"The intangibles are off the charts, you know the skill set, you've seen his body of work," Pagano said. "He's a gym rat, he's a football junkie. He's big, he's strong, he's physical. He can make every throw out there. And he's a great leader in his own way. We all know the story about the SC game and him coming out at halftime and doing what he did.

"We've got a great one. We've got a great one for years to come. And it's another piece of the puzzle that we feel really good about, obviously."

Luck will be at the Colts' rookie minicamp in the first week of May, but he will not be able to participate in any other parts of the offseason program until after he completes the spring quarter at Stanford, because of NFL rules on underclassmen and graduation.

Pagano said Luck is expected to wrap up his classwork June 7. The architectural design major is taking two classes this spring and plans to walk with his graduating class June 17. He'll attend the Colts' mandatory minicamp, set for June 12-14, in between, but he will miss most, if not all, of Indianapolis' organized team activities.

"We'll try to get Stanford to change their rules and get off the quarters system, so we can get him here for the offseason program," Pagano jokingly said. "He's champing at the bit. We're champing at the bit. (Offensive coordinator) Bruce (Arians) and (quarterbacks coach) Clyde (Christensen) and everyone on offense is champing at the bit to get him here and get him going. But his football IQ is off the charts, so I don't think it'll take very long for him to pick things up and get going."

And the coach -- and just about everyone else in the building -- can't wait to start working with Luck.

"I know this -- on any level, if you don't have a quarterback, it's really, really hard to win, especially in the National Football League," Pagano said. "I'm going to sleep well at night knowing that we have a quarterback for a long time."
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:57 pm

Well... nobody saw THAT coming!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Can somebody please bring the draft forward a few hours? Ideally, I'd like to know that we've drafted RGIII before I go to bed. The NFL has no respect for us UK fans.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:22 pm

many of us knew that we were drafting RG3 when the FO made the trade up to the 2 spot

There is NO DOUBT that is what Bruce and Mike wanted

RG3 is going to help this franchise .....

and, in a couple of years from now ...... :D
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:31 pm

SkinsJock wrote:many of us knew that we were drafting RG3 when the FO made the trade up to the 2 spot

There is NO DOUBT that is what Bruce and Mike wanted

Hey! Its 4:30 pm! Must be time to post unprovable statements as facts!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:28 pm

How long now? (Not that I'm hopping on one leg and counting down, or anything.)

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:31 pm

If anything, I'm more ready for the 2nd day of the draft. Interested in seeing what the Skins are planning to do in the 3rd round pick. They could use those 4th round picks to move up, move down, or stand pat. Either way, I am looking forward to seeing who else will be donning the B & G in the incoming class of RG3.

My personal preference is:

LaMichael James (GAMEBREAKER)
Donald Stephenson (Most Athletic RT in the Draft)

Then maybe a guy like Phillip Blake, or Nigel Bradhnam.

I expect this team to add at least 3 players who will be playing extensively next year. Add in Jarvis Jenkins, and this team is starting to shape up.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:12 pm

What number jersey to get? Uhg
RG
RGIII
Or
Griffin
Griffin
Choices choices choices... And the fo thought they had some tough choices coming up geeeze
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Skeletor » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:44 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc- ... ml?hpid=z4

RG3 said he will wear 10 and will have Griffin III on the back...

I have no comment on the statue of him made out of roasted chicken

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:50 pm

His Favorite Redskin

“From an outsider looking in, I would definitely have to say Doug Williams,” Griffin said. “If there’s one thing I know as a quarterback, he’s the only African-American QB to ever win a Super Bowl. That’s definitely something that resonates with me. Once I get into the organization and I can learn a lot more about the history, maybe I’ll have a different favorite Redskins, but as of this minute, old Dougie Williams does it for me.”
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:52 pm

Endorsing Subway

“They labeled me as a Famous Fan, but I went there religiously in college, because I needed a quick meal before practice. It was always there to help me gain the weight that I needed, and to last me through practice. It’s pretty cool, kind of an honor to be part of the family.”

I wonder how that sits with the whole "Jared" marketing campaign. :lol:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:33 pm

The Hogster wrote:If anything, I'm more ready for the 2nd day of the draft. Interested in seeing what the Skins are planning to do in the 3rd round pick. They could use those 4th round picks to move up, move down, or stand pat. Either way, I am looking forward to seeing who else will be donning the B & G in the incoming class of RG3.

I expect this team to add at least 3 players who will be playing extensively next year. Add in Jarvis Jenkins, and this team is starting to shape up.

I'm keen on Stephenson also, apparently so are the fo according to something I read elsewhere. With the addition of 2 OL and Hightower back I think this offense looks sweet.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:34 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:Can somebody please bring the draft forward a few hours? Ideally, I'd like to know that we've drafted RGIII before I go to bed. The NFL has no respect for us UK fans.

Go to bed... I'll call you!
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:21 am

The Hogster wrote:If anything, I'm more ready for the 2nd day of the draft. Interested in seeing what the Skins are planning to do in the 3rd round pick. They could use those 4th round picks to move up, move down, or stand pat. Either way, I am looking forward to seeing who else will be donning the B & G in the incoming class of RG3.

I'm with you Hogster. I like those three guys. The only thing is if we do grab James, that spells the end of Hightower. I can't see us carrying 4 RBs.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football