Draft Day Thread: Browns trade for #3 pick

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:06 pm

andyjens89 wrote:
1niksder wrote:
andyjens89 wrote:Browns had 13 picks to start the draft. Their GM said all those rookies weren't going to make the team anyways, so that's how he justified that trade. I think Richardson is going to be a top running back in the league.


Does that mean they won't target any UDFA tomorrow night?

The Skins were a better team than the Browns last season and 12 rookies made the team, saying they won't make the team means they didn't have a plan to bring in that many players to help build their team. That's odd considering the off-season roster limits just jumped from 80 to 90.


No idea, just something I heard. Maybe he was joking..?


:oops: I wasn't expecting you to answer the question, I believe the GM said that because he traded picks after saying it's stupid to trade three or four picks to move up one or two spots about a week ago.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:09 pm

1niksder wrote:I believe the GM said that because he traded picks after saying it's stupid to trade three or four picks to move up one or two spots about a week ago.


The Browns are determined to make themselves look stupid in every possible way, aren't they?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1881
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:15 pm
Location: Michigan

Postby andyjens89 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:15 pm

I thought the picks the Browns made were solid. They made their team better. But at the same time, I don't think they really needed to trade up for Richardson and I feel Weeden could have been there if they traded back or if they waited until the 2nd round, but who knows.

I'm just glad we got Griffin and they didn't 8)
XVII XXII XXVI

kazoo
Posts: 10280
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Kazmania

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:03 pm

andyjens89 wrote:I thought the picks the Browns made were solid. They made their team better. But at the same time, I don't think they really needed to trade up for Richardson and I feel Weeden could have been there if they traded back or if they waited until the 2nd round, but who knows.


I seriously doubt Weeden would have been there in the second round. If they wanted him, they needed to take him where they did. He's a solid pick at that spot and he'd already fallen because of his age. After losing RG3 they didn't want to risk losing the next guys they wanted.

andyjens89 wrote:I'm just glad we got Griffin and they didn't 8)



I agree with that
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog
Posts: 2361
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:56 am

Postby RayNAustin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:04 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
andyjens89 wrote:I thought the picks the Browns made were solid. They made their team better. But at the same time, I don't think they really needed to trade up for Richardson and I feel Weeden could have been there if they traded back or if they waited until the 2nd round, but who knows.


I seriously doubt Weeden would have been there in the second round. If they wanted him, they needed to take him where they did. He's a solid pick at that spot and he'd already fallen because of his age. After losing RG3 they didn't want to risk losing the next guys they wanted.

andyjens89 wrote:I'm just glad we got Griffin and they didn't 8)



I agree with that


I believe that's true ... they've decided that McCoy isn't a starting caliber QB, and they needed one, so they grabbed him, and regardless of age, he still can give them several years if he pans out. And it looks like he has strong potential.

I think the Richardson pick was also a good solid one ... having a strong runner like him will take a lot of heat off the QB position ... so it's a good one-two complementary set of picks.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:11 pm

I heard on the Mike and Mike Draft report that the Browns drafted Weeden to start and they are trying to trade McCoy. This afternoon on ESPN 980 (DC Metro), I heard that the Packers are interested. Having lost Flynn, McCoy does sound like a good fit for a back up for the Pack.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... h-packers/

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:57 pm

Russell Wilson going to the Seahawks in the 3rd round.

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1197
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Co. Cavan, Ireland

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:57 am

Red_One43 wrote:Russell Wilson going to the Seahawks in the 3rd round.


He's good. I think he's a future NFL starter, regardless of his height.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1197
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:02 pm
Location: Co. Cavan, Ireland

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:03 am

RayNAustin wrote:

I believe that's true ... they've decided that McCoy isn't a starting caliber QB, and they needed one, so they grabbed him, and regardless of age, he still can give them several years if he pans out. And it looks like he has strong potential.

I think the Richardson pick was also a good solid one ... having a strong runner like him will take a lot of heat off the QB position ... so it's a good one-two complementary set of picks.


Two things for me;

1. That's a little harsh on McCoy. He had a rough intro with the lockout and absolutely nothing to work with on that offense. No they're improving that side of the ball and with a full preseason behind him he'd be a lot stronger next season IMO.

2. They gave up WAY too much for Richardson. He can't do it on his own, they should have kept all their picks and improve as much of the unit as possible with the strongest available options.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

the 'mudge
Posts: 14683
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:44 am

While it is harsh on McCoy, the Browns have to deal with the facts on the ground. Perceptions are reality. McCoy deserves a clean start... and Weeden is a good call. The only thing that prevented him from being top 15 was his age... Frankly (I think Cleveland really had no choice but to swap with the Vikes), I think these 2 first round moves may have saved the draft for Cleveland. They have just created an offensive backfield that is perfect for the AFC North.

My take is that Holmgren has recovered a bit of his swagger, after being stiff-armed by Fisher and Allen...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:40 pm

^ +1

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:09 pm

Countertrey wrote:While it is harsh on McCoy, the Browns have to deal with the facts on the ground. Perceptions are reality. McCoy deserves a clean start... and Weeden is a good call. The only thing that prevented him from being top 15 was his age... Frankly (I think Cleveland really had no choice but to swap with the Vikes), I think these 2 first round moves may have saved the draft for Cleveland. They have just created an offensive backfield that is perfect for the AFC North.

My take is that Holmgren has recovered a bit of his swagger, after being stiff-armed by Fisher and Allen...


If Weeden turns out to be a Blaine Gabbert they'll have no backup plan, run a offense with the top players both being rookies is a big risk....

I'm just saying the need to grap Gaffney AND Grossman just to be save, because if they want Cousins right before the trade deadline, they'll have to fill some Redskins needs.... like a 1st round pick next year :D
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Pushing Paper
Posts: 4605
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:01 pm

Postby PulpExposure » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:08 pm

Countertrey wrote:While it is harsh on McCoy, the Browns have to deal with the facts on the ground. Perceptions are reality. McCoy deserves a clean start... and Weeden is a good call. The only thing that prevented him from being top 15 was his age... Frankly (I think Cleveland really had no choice but to swap with the Vikes), I think these 2 first round moves may have saved the draft for Cleveland. They have just created an offensive backfield that is perfect for the AFC North.

My take is that Holmgren has recovered a bit of his swagger, after being stiff-armed by Fisher and Allen...


Problem still remains that the QB (be it McCoy or Weeden) has absolutely no one to throw to...

Their leading receiver had 701 yards...

DarthMonk
Posts: 4475
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Sun May 13, 2012 8:50 am

Deadskins wrote:
Countertrey wrote:Eagles fans looking especially gay this year...

Fits right in with this headline: Eagles trade up for Cox
:shock:


Eagles Have Strong Desire for Cox

Eagles Covet Cox

Eagles Move Up for Cox

Eagles Thrilled with Cox Selection
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Around the League