Brandon Meriweather Arrested by ACPD

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby BearSkins » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:13 am

tribeofjudah wrote:Cut his loose.........what a loser.

Would be a smart move. He gest mentioned in the same breath as...*gulp*....Adam Archuleta around these here parts.

Apologies for invoking AA's name and the attendant nightmares.
It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom – for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

piglet

Postby bigricky » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:14 am

What pisses me off most is that he was returning home from a "club". Now I know he's young and wants to enjoy life "his way" but why when you make that much money you can't have the common sense to hire a driver for that night or simply just book a taxi.

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:51 pm

Understand that many "ordinary" folks get busted for DUI....and then they have to suffer the consequences. In my area of work, that would mean losing my clearance, followed shortly thereafter by my job. You make dumb decisions, then you will have to live with the consequences of those poor decisions.

While I do support second chances as a whole, he does have some question marks in his past....and at age 28, wonder if that leopard can change his spots.

Additionally, this goes to character of players on this team, and how we are not trying to duplicate the character issues other teams have had....like the Bungles for example, or the Raiders.....or have another Fat Albert type for us. At least, with Davis and Williams, they have some good will saved up with the team, Merriweather has none.

WRT the thoughts of the Skins providing transportation....just think that one is personally accountable for their own actions. To be honest, I don't really think that this solution would make that much of a difference.....if someone is heading out to the bars/clubs for a late night, and does not make the decision initially to get a cab/car and driver/designated driver....why would you think that at 2 in the morning they would suddenly make a GOOD decision to contact a Redskins drunk helpline to get car service? This approach is what is used in the Navy currently......sailors on liberty are not only provided phone numbers to cabs, duty drivers, folks in the chain of command, to contact if they find themselves to drunk to drive....and there are still young sailors who make this mistake.

Has Shanahan said anything concerning this? I have not read anything....
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:36 pm

rskin72 wrote:Understand that many "ordinary" folks get busted for DUI....and then they have to suffer the consequences. In my area of work, that would mean losing my clearance, followed shortly thereafter by my job. You make dumb decisions, then you will have to live with the consequences of those poor decisions.

While I do support second chances as a whole, he does have some question marks in his past....and at age 28, wonder if that leopard can change his spots.

Additionally, this goes to character of players on this team, and how we are not trying to duplicate the character issues other teams have had....like the Bungles for example, or the Raiders.....or have another Fat Albert type for us. At least, with Davis and Williams, they have some good will saved up with the team, Merriweather has none.

WRT the thoughts of the Skins providing transportation....just think that one is personally accountable for their own actions. To be honest, I don't really think that this solution would make that much of a difference.....if someone is heading out to the bars/clubs for a late night, and does not make the decision initially to get a cab/car and driver/designated driver....why would you think that at 2 in the morning they would suddenly make a GOOD decision to contact a Redskins drunk helpline to get car service? This approach is what is used in the Navy currently......sailors on liberty are not only provided phone numbers to cabs, duty drivers, folks in the chain of command, to contact if they find themselves to drunk to drive....and there are still young sailors who make this mistake.

Has Shanahan said anything concerning this? I have not read anything....

And then you have other folks that pay the price money wise, they get the best lawyer and can beat the case even though they are guilty. Trust me I know some. He has the money.

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:52 pm

Kilmer72....we had that person on our team last season, Donte Stallworth. Heck, Vick gets two years for brutalizing dogs, Burress geta a year and a half for shooting himself int he leg (carrying a firearm in NYC) and Stallworth gets 30 days because he paid the victims family. Yep, that is fair.

Guess we will have to wait and see what actually happens with the charge.....whether he pleads guilty or not, what he actually ends up getting convicted on (if anything). But, this does not speak well to his decision making process, and I would be very concerned that more mistakes like this may be in his future.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:58 pm

Here in Va we have lots of people that consider Burress just as an idiot but not a bad guy. Even the girls here pack heat and knives. Burress just was stupid, but he doesn't belong in that group. As much as I don't like him I wish he was a Skin. He was just an idiot for a night.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:02 pm

rskin72 wrote:Kilmer72....we had that person on our team last season, Donte Stallworth. Heck, Vick gets two years for brutalizing dogs, Burress geta a year and a half for shooting himself int he leg (carrying a firearm in NYC) and Stallworth gets 30 days because he paid the victims family. Yep, that is fair.

Guess we will have to wait and see what actually happens with the charge.....whether he pleads guilty or not, what he actually ends up getting convicted on (if anything). But, this does not speak well to his decision making process, and I would be very concerned that more mistakes like this may be in his future.

I could be wrong and get blasted for this but wasn't he a drunk driver that slept and well; hit someone by mistake? .... and was still legally drunk?

I guess everyone or almost everone are saints here.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:01 pm

Personally I liked the guy, wasn't great but got cut and came back stronger than ever.

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:Here in Va we have lots of people that consider Burress just as an idiot but not a bad guy. Even the girls here pack heat and knives. Burress just was stupid, but he doesn't belong in that group. As much as I don't like him I wish he was a Skin. He was just an idiot for a night.

The issue isn't just his negligent discharge, it's that it's illegal to carry a handgun in NYC in the first place. That's more than just a mental lapse.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:23 pm

There was another thread that had a few music references here. I think this holds true for this thread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXJg8G02PD0

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:33 pm

Hooligan wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:Here in Va we have lots of people that consider Burress just as an idiot but not a bad guy. Even the girls here pack heat and knives. Burress just was stupid, but he doesn't belong in that group. As much as I don't like him I wish he was a Skin. He was just an idiot for a night.

The issue isn't just his negligent discharge, it's that it's illegal to carry a handgun in NYC in the first place. That's more than just a mental lapse.

You know I was pulled over in MD. Look up their laws. I know we are not getting out of forum or context here but; I had my guns in my back trunk and the pins in my glove compartment....I was chewed out but let go by state troopers. I was stupid but.... Look at it this way. He was making a stupid choice but he wasn't dangerous except to himself evidently. Hind sight is 20/20

Plus he isn't a skin anymore but showed heart where talent lacked.

None of us are perfect.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:44 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:He was just an idiot for a night.

Nah, he's been an idiot for a long time, it just caught up with him that night. :wink:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:22 pm

Have you never gotten drunk and gone to work the next day?

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:57 pm

Look, I was just replying to Kilmer72 post......and I am from Hampton Roads (home of Vick and Burress). Stallworth was driving drunk, and another drunk man staggered out in front of his car. Stallworth hit and killed the man. While no one is perfect, that is a pretty big "Ah Sh_t"

While Meriweather did not kill anyone, he still showed the same poor judgement about drinking and driving. He is 28, not exactly a kid. Shanahan will ultimately decide his fate on the team....also, this could lead to penalties/suspension from Goodell. He also had some issues with fighting and such back in college.

Folks deserve second chances...doesn't have to be on the Redskins, however....especially for new FA acquisitions.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:05 pm

rskin72 wrote:Look, I was just replying to Kilmer72 post......and I am from Hampton Roads (home of Vick and Burress). Stallworth was driving drunk, and another drunk man staggered out in front of his car. Stallworth hit and killed the man. While no one is perfect, that is a pretty big "Ah Sh_t"

While Meriweather did not kill anyone, he still showed the same poor judgement about drinking and driving. He is 28, not exactly a kid. Shanahan will ultimately decide his fate on the team....also, this could lead to penalties/suspension from Goodell. He also had some issues with fighting and such back in college.

Folks deserve second chances...doesn't have to be on the Redskins, however....especially for new FA acquisitions.

He did show poor judgement granted. While being paid and big bucks to be a mentor to others even if he didn't like it. My point is he is only human. Personally, I am grateful for the heart he showed after being cut and coming to help us and himself.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football