Where can RGIII improve?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
#######

Postby The Hogster » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:29 pm

One area I'd like to see RG improve is the number of sacks he's taken. A guy as athletic as him shouldn't take a lot of sacks.

That could be the Baylor line, or some other factors, but the numbers need to come down.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:25 pm

The Hogster wrote:One area I'd like to see RG improve is the number of sacks he's taken. A guy as athletic as him shouldn't take a lot of sacks.

Even though one might easily assume the opposite should be true, athletic QBs who can move and run tend to take more sacks than pocket passers.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:53 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
The Hogster wrote:One area I'd like to see RG improve is the number of sacks he's taken. A guy as athletic as him shouldn't take a lot of sacks.

Even though one might easily assume the opposite should be true, athletic QBs who can move and run tend to take more sacks than pocket passers.

Yep. He's not that "solid", so it won't take much more than an arm-tackle to bring him down, that's one thing I noticed when watching his videos. He has great balance, he can elude pretty good but a solid whack will send him flying.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby rick301 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:33 am

I'd rather he takes a sack than turn over the ball. With the increased speed, strength and size of NFL defencemen and the stunts, ect., durability may be an issue with RGIII. He will have to learn that he can't rely on his legs in the NFS as much as he could at Baylor. That said, I'm excited to see what he can do when a play breaks down and he has to improvise.

As for improvements: I'd like to see him add some muscle weight.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:01 pm

^ In one of the interviews with RGIII, he said that he expects to put on some more pounds because he is no longer running track.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:08 pm

He strikes me as the kind of guy who has trouble putting on weight. He's got one of those extra lean frames. He's ripped, but it looks like he works hard to stay in the 220s where some guys struggle to keep weight off, he's got one of those (I can eat donuts and pizza and stay slim) frames. I think he'll be fine, and Father Time always adds a few lbs.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:27 pm

That could be the Baylor line, or some other factors, but the numbers need to come down.

Concur... this is the one area where he compares negatively to the other graded quaterbacks at the top of the draft. He has all of the other essentials in mass quantity... he'll figure this out...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:10 pm

Red_One43 wrote:This is and isn't my biggest concern with RGIII: Kyle!!!

The above was my first thought but as for RGIII himself:

He needs to know when to be daring. That's probably not in the 1st qtr. of the 1st game when he can take a risk and give us 2nd and 2 instead of 2nd and 8 near midfield. He might need to be lucky early until he learns when to be daring.

Vick still doesn't know.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:29 pm

I think it is very diffciult to make a determination as to how he can improve seeing that he hasn't played an NFL game yet, but there are some things that typically hurt QBs that come from spread offenses. They are typically:
- taking from under center -- which also deals with footwork
- reading defenses from under center
- making quick decisions
- adjusting to NFL speed

For RGIII specifically, I am concerned that he may opt to run the ball more than he should. He also ran the ball frequently up the middle -- and in the NFL, that commonly results in major injuries. It doesn't help that RGIII is a bit on the thin side. I would like to see him put on 20 pounds of "meat" -- not really muscle, just bulk. That will help him with injuries.

But right now, the only things that concern me with RGIII are his size and frequency of running the ball. Other than that, he seems primed to go.

In terms of the Kyle comment, RGIII fits VERY well into his offense -- which is probably why MS and BA mortgaged the better part of the skins' 5 year future on him. This was a huge gamble; seeing what we gave up -- if RGIII doesn't work out, this team will be bad for a long time.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:40 pm

markshark84 wrote:MS and BA mortgaged the better part of the skins' 5 year future on him. This was a huge gamble; seeing what we gave up -- if RGIII doesn't work out, this team will be bad for a long time.

I disagree. 1st round picks are great, but not having one for the next two years is not a show stopper.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:40 am

Deadskins wrote:
markshark84 wrote:MS and BA mortgaged the better part of the skins' 5 year future on him. This was a huge gamble; seeing what we gave up -- if RGIII doesn't work out, this team will be bad for a long time.

I disagree. 1st round picks are great, but not having one for the next two years is not a show stopper.

Really? Not having first round picks is a pretty big deal. That's 2 starters and in the end plays a major factor when it comes to depth. And if RGIII doesn't pan out -- it's basically a gaurantee 2 top 10 picks.

The lack of draft picks (and inability to select) is the DIRECT reason the skins have been (for the most part -- sans 3 season) horrendous for the past 2 decades.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:43 am

markshark84 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Really? Not having first round picks is a pretty big deal. That's 2 starters and in the end plays a major factor when it comes to depth. And if RGIII doesn't pan out -- it's basically a gaurantee 2 top 10 picks.

The lack of draft picks (and inability to select) is the DIRECT reason the skins have been (for the most part -- sans 3 season) horrendous for the past 2 decades.

We had plenty of first round picks in those years, and where did it get us? The key is drafting well in the later rounds. I'll say it again, missing two picks over the next two years is not a show stopper.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:14 am

I agree also - there is no guarantee that the players we might have taken would turn out to be HOF or busts either

the fact remains that we now have a player at the most important position that most likely will be a great and VERY exciting player for many years to come

that is not taking a risk or a gamble AT ALL

IF we had not improved at the QB position this year, there is a very good chance that Bruce and Mike would not have been here this time next year

RG3 will mean a lot more to this franchise than just providing great QB play for 10-15 years
one should always try to look on the bright side ... especially Redskins fans after the past 20 plus years

things will get better .... hopefully soon

Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Deadskins wrote:

I agree with Deadskins.

I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning and Mike Golic, former professional football player, confirmed for Greenie that it is the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks that are the guts of a NFL team. It is when teams trade continuously trade away these picks, they go down hill. The reference was the topic of the Jets trading away picks to move up to the third spot. Golic felt that they should go get their guy and give up the first rounders.

No, the Redskins didn't mortgage the future by giving up the future number ones. If RGIII doesn't work out, the Skins will be bad because they still will not have a franchise QB which is where they were when they had the number 1 draft choices but traded away their guts draft choices.

We can see that Shanny is at least building the guts of the team and those guts will will stay intact regardless of how RGIII does. Another coach coming in would have something to build on and still have the "gut" picks.
Something Shanny didn't have.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:56 am

ESPN’s Ron Jaworski on concerns he had before Griffin’s pro day: “I was a little concerned about the consistency. I thought many of his throws were off-balance, and at times he was mechanically unsound with his footwork and balance. I was a little concerned about his throwing slot, the delivery. … There are times, and the great quarterbacks know when to change that platform and to bring it sidearm or to get on their toes and avoid the rush and avoid a guy’s hands up. I think there’s a time when you want to be out of that slot, but I was concerned about his consistency of that. When you watched his workout, I was watching those two areas of his game that I considered flaws. After that workout, he did not have a flaw. I was very impressed with the work he had done to improve on what I perceived as a weakness. It taught me two things: He’s coachable, and he accepts coaching. And he wants to get better. That’s critical when you go to the next level. You have to be a sponge to learn and study and prepare. That’s one thing as I talk to guys around the league about all the players that come out is their willingness to commit to the quarterback position every day, to be the hardest worker. I came away really impressed with Griffin.”

Coachable and being the hardest worker on the team is why I believe RGIII will be everything that we expect him to be.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/re ... ski/563186

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football