Where can RGIII improve?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat May 05, 2012 12:00 pm

He hasn't won enough Superbowls...

He needs to do more of that.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun May 06, 2012 8:53 am

Countertrey wrote:He hasn't won enough Superbowls...

He needs to do more of that.

We may be the lone voices in the woods but I am with you on this, Trey. A few Superbowl wins would go a long way toward me accepting the wisdom of this trade.

My 2 cents

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby the poster » Sun May 06, 2012 9:02 am

I can't critique his game yet, he hasn't played in the NFL. I will be interested to see:

1. can he cycle through multiple reads and see the whole field (like Luck can)
2. can he fit the ball in small windows.
3. how quickly does he read the action.
4. can he get comfortable under center running an NFL style offense, not the quirky and wild college-ruled style.

what I can say is that he is TINY. recent pictures of him would worry me a great deal if I were a redskins fan. he's even said that if it were last years draft he would be taken as a WR. he looks like a thin wr. he does not currently have the body of an NFL qb.

he's not built like an Andrew luck or a cam newton. the most obvious comparison at this time of his body type and his game is Michael Vick. and at no point in time would I have ever used 3 first round picks and a high second rounder on Vick.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun May 06, 2012 9:28 am

Michael Vick - 6-0, 215

Troy Aikman - 6-4, 219

Robert Griffin III - 6-2, 223

Taller than Vick with an extra 8 pounds and he just turned 22. No more track either. Likely to add 10 pounds this year in the weight room.

An inch and a half shorter than Aikman but already 4 pounds heavier.

It won't be about his bulk. It will be about his decisions and, of course, luck.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby the poster » Sun May 06, 2012 11:38 am

DarthMonk wrote:Michael Vick - 6-0, 215

Taller than Vick with an extra 8 pounds and he just turned 22.

oh he's 8 lbs heavier, huh? wow. I would have never guessed that in a million hundred thousand years. well that changes EVERyThING.

he's 2 inches taller (alledglly, I've heard from one columnist who has stood next to him and has said he's not his listed height), and 8 lbs heavier...you know what...you're right...he doesn't have a similar frame as Michael Vick.....for now on, I'm referring to him as a Ben roethlesberger clone. thanks for setting me straight.

An inch and a half shorter than Aikman but already 4 pounds heavier.

oh gee...thanks for that comparison as well. that helps me understand better. how about some other relative comparions.. this is fun.

how does he compare to Otto Graham or Sid luck man because this is just soo important to know.

It won't be about his bulk. It will be about his decisions and, of course, luck.

DarthMonk

when he gets hit by Jason babin or Demarcus ware or anybody for that matter then you can make that argument.

he ALREADY has missed a season of football in college. we'll see. my bet is injury concerns will be a big deal for him.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun May 06, 2012 11:42 am

Eli Manning seems to do OK with as wiry a frame as RGIII. Drew Brees is alright too, despite being shorter and lighter. Ask Steve Young if being 6-2, 215 lbs with a tendency to run was a career breaker.

Because RGIII is black and fast, people have over-relied on comparisons with Michael Vick. Understandable, but mistaken.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby the poster » Sun May 06, 2012 12:01 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
Because RGIII is black and fast, people have over-relied on comparisons with Michael Vick. Understandable, but mistaken.

noo. if someone were to ask me who is the thinnest qb you can think of playing nowadays, I say Michael Vick.

now, are there other guys? I'm sure. but to me, Vick is the guy that comes to mind right away.

looking at griffin, hes one of the thinnest (top rated) qbs I've seen enter into the NFL in a long time.

yeah, he's thin and he's fast. I'm sorry that those are two attributes that describe Vick as well. Eli manning isn't fast. either is drew brees. their body types aren't the tight, super athletic track star types of Vick or rg3 either. if you want to bring race into it, that's your problem.

he's being compared to Michael Vick for obvious physical reasons.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun May 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Yes, there are differences between many quarterbacks.

What's your question?
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun May 06, 2012 12:14 pm

the poster wrote:I can't critique his game yet, he hasn't played in the NFL. I will be interested to see:

1. can he cycle through multiple reads and see the whole field (like Luck can)
2. can he fit the ball in small windows.
3. how quickly does he read the action.
4. can he get comfortable under center running an NFL style offense, not the quirky and wild college-ruled style.

what I can say is that he is TINY. recent pictures of him would worry me a great deal if I were a redskins fan. he's even said that if it were last years draft he would be taken as a WR. he looks like a thin wr. he does not currently have the body of an NFL qb.

he's not built like an Andrew luck or a cam newton. the most obvious comparison at this time of his body type and his game is Michael Vick. and at no point in time would I have ever used 3 first round picks and a high second rounder on Vick.

You can't critique RGIII because he hasn't played a NFL down yet, but you can state what Luck can do before he plays a NFL down?

And regardless of what you would have given up for TINY Mr. Vick... TWO different teams gave him a $100M contract ....That"s BIG.

Stop drinking the Haterade.....
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun May 06, 2012 12:20 pm

Are we feeding a troll? [-X

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sun May 06, 2012 12:26 pm

Gonna stuff him like a pig....
Then fire up the grill....
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun May 06, 2012 12:30 pm

Silly 1. Who would want a bite of that BBQ?

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Sun May 06, 2012 12:32 pm

Flippant answer: RGIII could certainly improve his backhand crosscourt, and a little practice with the sand iron would be sensible.

The guy has more raw talent and upside than any quarterback the Redskins have had since, erm, well, err, anybody? Right now, the biggest area that needs improving is the team around him.

We are getting there, but until we have an o line that concedes less than 20 sacks per year, a couple of 1000 yard receivers, and a running game that yields 4.5 yards per carry consistently over the course of a season, then we won't see the best of RGIII.

Actually, until those pieces are in place, we may see all the very best of his running ability, improvisation and all round athleticism. I'm looking forward to the days when he doesn't have to run for his life, but simply to buy a little time. Damn, I just want to look back in three years time and think: jeez, this guy consistently throws for 300 yards in a game, with no interceptions, makes key third down plays, doesn't fumble, and leads the team to victory any time we're within 7 points going into the fourth quarter.

That seems like a lot to ask because we just haven't had a guy like that since Joey T (or Mark Rypien for a short time). But if RGIII simply reaches 75% of his potential, that's the kind of QB that we've got now.

I'm a bit excited.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:33 pm

BBQ makes everything taste better!
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun May 06, 2012 12:40 pm

There ARE things that BBQ can't fix...

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football