Cooley

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu May 24, 2012 2:39 pm

It will be very interesting to see what Cooley does this year coming off his injury. I am skeptical, but he has proven that when healthy, he is a top TE in the league. The big question mark is whether he is in fact healthy and if he can go back to being 100%. Last year, it was obvious he was hurting and he did not play well.

Davis proved last year that he can be a very good NFL TE. I wouldn't want to see his time diminsh, but they need to figure out a way to get everyone on the field -- especially with all the WR pickups. You could have used more 2 TE sets, but with all our weapons at WR, it may be better to have 4 WRs & 1 TE over 3WR & 2 TEs (in circumstances that warrant it).

I personally, don't see Paul seeing that much time barring injury. However, the likelihood of an injury is high given the long season.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri May 25, 2012 3:19 pm

markshark84 wrote:It will be very interesting to see what Cooley does this year coming off his injury. I am skeptical, but he has proven that when healthy, he is a top TE in the league. The big question mark is whether he is in fact healthy and if he can go back to being 100%. Last year, it was obvious he was hurting and he did not play well.

Cooley wasn't healthy in 2010 when he put up top three TE numbers. He was just worse in 11 than he was in 10. A long as his knee is as good as it was in 10 he wil put up top ten numbers.

If he is truely healthy must of the season, then he will again put up PB numbers like he did in 2010.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed May 30, 2012 8:23 am

106.7 has been talking about weather or not we should keep Cooley for the past couple of days and they have no idea how good Cooley has been. I don't think most fans do either. Here is how he ranked against other TEs:

Code: Select all
Season Rec Yards
2010     2nd 3rd
2008     2nd 4th
2007     5th 5th
2006     8th 7th
2005     4th 6th

Sure he has been injured in 2009 and 2011, but in the past four seasons (including the two he was hurt) he has been a top three TE twice. AND over the past seven seasons he has been a top eight TE for every year he wasn't injured (5 out 7 seasons) and top five 4 out of 7.

Everyone says that you can't pay Cooley the money he is making to be a backup TE. I contend, that if healthy, Cooley will be the starter at TE and not Davis.

Cooley is older but proven! Davis has never posted top ten numbers and there is no guarantee he will post better numbers than Cooley. Cooley should post better numbers if healthy. Now that is a big if, but FD has a big if hanging over his head too. His season could go up in smoke just as easy as Cooley could get injured!

Besides what is wrong with having two TEs capable catching 60 balls (even though Davis never has)?

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed May 30, 2012 8:48 am

skinsfan#33 wrote: ... Everyone says that you can't pay Cooley the money he is making to be a backup TE. I contend, that if healthy, Cooley will be the starter at TE and not Davis.

Cooley is older but proven! Davis has never posted top ten numbers and there is no guarantee he will post better numbers than Cooley. Cooley should post better numbers if healthy. Now that is a big if, but FD has a big if hanging over his head too. His season could go up in smoke just as easy as Cooley could get injured!

Besides what is wrong with having two TEs capable catching 60 balls (even though Davis never has)?

we'll see - I'm a Cooley fan but Davis is the better TE at this time

I totally do not agree with the assumption that Davis is just as likely to be banned by the NFL as Cooley is likely to be injured :shock:
WHY?

Cooley will have an opportunity to make the roster and I think he's here for 1 more year - IF he's healthy
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed May 30, 2012 10:03 am

SkinsJock wrote:I'm a Cooley fan but Davis is the better TE at this time

What are you basing this on? Cooley's health? Because the numbers just don't bear that out.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed May 30, 2012 10:28 am

I'm not basing it on the past - I look for Davis to show that he's our best TE going forward

Cooley has been a very good player for us but going forward I see Davis as having an edge and showing that he's going to be a very good TE also

I'm a Cooley fan but he's not the player he was

Cooley could make the roster - that would be fine with me - when healthy, he's still a clutch player

Fred Davis will be playing here and that's great too

we'll see :D
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed May 30, 2012 10:31 am

Deadskins wrote:

What are you basing this on? Cooley's health? Because the numbers just don't bear that out.

did you look at the whole post or just something that you want to nitpick about :twisted:

Cooley's health is a concern :roll:

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:04 am

SkinsJock wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote: ... Everyone says that you can't pay Cooley the money he is making to be a backup TE. I contend, that if healthy, Cooley will be the starter at TE and not Davis.

I totally do not agree with the assumption that Davis is just as likely to be banned by the NFL as Cooley is likely to be injured :shock:
WHY?

Cooley will have an opportunity to make the roster and I think he's here for 1 more year - IF he's healthy

Since Davis has never posted a better season than Cooley, when Cooley is healthy, you are projecting (or guessing) that Davis will finally out perform Cooley. My guess, backed up by past performances, is that Cooley is the safer bet.

Cooley had two injuries last year. Davis failed at least three (possibly four) drug test. Again the numbers favor Cooley. On top of the drug risk, FD also is at risk of injury, just like Cooley and every NFL player.

My whole point is with Cooley you know you get a top five TE when healthy. With Davis you might get a top five TE when healthy and not suspended for drugs.
Last edited by skinsfan#33 on Wed May 30, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed May 30, 2012 11:47 am

SkinsJock wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

did you look at the whole post or just something that you want to nitpick about :twisted:

Cooley's health is a concern :roll:

I'm not always trying to screw with you, SJ. :roll:

I was seriously wondering how you could possibly suffer under the same common misconception as the masses, that Davis has ever been a better TE than Cooley. If you were saying that because Cooley is coming off a second injury, and needs to show he can still put up top numbers, then I share your concern. But I just don't see how you can unequivically make the statement that Davis is the better TE at this time, when he has never put up numbers like Chris.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed May 30, 2012 12:07 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

WHY?

Since Davis has never posted a better season than Cooley, when Cooley is healthy, you are projecting (or guessing) that Davis wil finally out perform Cooley. My guess, backed up by part performances, is that Cooley is the safer bet.

Cooley had two injuries last year. Davis failed at least three (possibly four) drug test. Again the numbers favor Cooley. On to of the drug risk, FD also is at risk of injury, just like Cooley.

My whole point is with Cooley you know you get a top five TE when healthy. With Davis you might get a top five TE when healthy and not suspended for drugs.

+1

Throw out Cooley's rookie year (which was more productive than Davis's), plus the two years he was hurt and Chris's worst year was two receptions short of Fred's best season, not to mention Cooley is the best blocking TE on the roster until Paul gets things figured out.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

swine

Postby Skins Fan in Indy » Wed May 30, 2012 12:44 pm

There is no way they even think about letting Cooley go!. Cooley is one of the best at TE when he is healthy and plus Cooley just adds another weapon to make sure RGIII is comfortable and has a quailty and reliable veteran. I like Davis, but I will take Cooley any day and everyday of the week.
Keeping the Faith in Indy!!!!

Postby yupchagee » Wed May 30, 2012 2:16 pm

1niksder wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

WHY?

Since Davis has never posted a better season than Cooley, when Cooley is healthy, you are projecting (or guessing) that Davis wil finally out perform Cooley. My guess, backed up by part performances, is that Cooley is the safer bet.

Cooley had two injuries last year. Davis failed at least three (possibly four) drug test. Again the numbers favor Cooley. On to of the drug risk, FD also is at risk of injury, just like Cooley.

+1

Throw out Cooley's rookie year (which was more productive than Davis's), plus the two years he was hurt and Chris's worst year was two receptions short of Fred's best season, not to mention Cooley is the best blocking TE on the roster until Paul gets things figured out.

What about Paulson?
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Postby yupchagee » Wed May 30, 2012 2:19 pm

1niksder wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

WHY?

+1

Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed May 30, 2012 3:19 pm

Like I said - I'm a Cooley fan and I think he's a clutch player - I think both are here this year

I'm sticking to my prediction that Davis shows that he's the better TE as this season evolves

this does not take anything away from Cooley or his role here

we'll see what happens when RGIII and this offense gets rolling towards the end of this season

my feeling is that Davis is going to badly want (and will get) an opportunity to show that he's the better TE for this team going forward

Cooley's stats are great and he did it with less of an offense ... but that's not the issue ....

we'll see :lol:

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed May 30, 2012 3:45 pm

Deadskins wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:Even if he was, he isn't a top ten TE anyways.

Um, yes, he is. When healthy he was a top 3 TE. Google his stats if you don't believe it. He is lacking in TDs, though, but I don't fault him for that as much as I do the play callers. That being said, he has been injury prone lately, and his best playing days may be behind him.
I'm hoping he can stay healthy this year, and prove the doubters wrong.

I agree - Cooley has been a very good player for us and he's had a great knack of making plays when we really needed them

Cooley also has not had the benefit of playing with a really good offense

I have no doubt that Davis and Cooley are going to have good seasons I just hope that Cooley's health issues are behind him and that Davis is as motivated as reports indicate

these 2 should be on the roster this season

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football