Cooley

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
the 'mudge
Posts: 14235
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Postby Countertrey » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:54 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:Apparently the limping we all saw on the video was due to a pulled groin muscle, and has nothing to do with his knee. Shanahan was talking him up, so I think we will see Cooley on the team this season.

What limping are you talking about? I haven't seen anything. I haven't heard one report talk about him limping. Both of the local radio insiders that see him more than any of us have been asked about his health and they have both say he looks healthy and have mentioned nothing about a limp.

I will see him in person tomorrow,, so I we look to see if I can see any limp.


Red_One43 wrote:
it was posted on the boards that Cooley appeared to be favoring one of his legs in the OTA video posted.
z
http://www.thehogs.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 557#579557

At the the end of the video, Cooley is favoring one of his legs. Link is below

http://blog.redskins.com/2012/05/21/vid ... 12-season/

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said Thursday that tight end Chris Cooley's knee is OK but his groin was strained. The injury isn't believed to be serious. Cooley has been able to practice on the knee without any swelling or setbacks, much to the delight of Shanahan.


http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/ ... k/10913159

R1 43,
Thanks. That was what people were freaking out about. A slight hitch in his giidyup for 1/2 a second at the end of a video. Something that is no longer relevant, since he has been healthy for the past two weeks of OTAs.

People are grasping here.

I really watch him tomorrow to see if he has a gimpy gate at all. I'll let everyone know how he looks.
Sometimes, context is important. For several days prior to that vid, we had been hearing about how well Cooley was doing in his rehab... then we get a 4 second shot of him limping into the endzone as the only evidence of how he is doing. Not reassuring. I commented.

I look forward to your assessment...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 12910
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:23 am

:shock: - waiting for the report

:lol:
Hail to the Redskins

#33
Posts: 4081
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:50 pm

SkinsJock wrote::shock: - waiting for the report

:lol:


He looked good yesterday. He washis football camp for kids.

He ran some drills to show the kids what to do. They were the box drill, L drill and ather one i forget the name of. of course he didn't run anything at full speed, but it was every bit as fast as practice (maybe faster). the important thing is they were explosion/cutting drills and he had no limp or hitch in his giggy up all day.

He looked completely helthy.

By they way if you have never had a kid at one of those football camps, they are fantastic. "Pro Camp" runs the camp and Cooley has benn sponsoring it for at least three days. He stays all 3.5 hours each day (Saturday and Sunday). According to Pro Camps, most NFL players don't stay all day each day and some are just there for 1/2 hour each day. My son has gone the past three years and loves it.

Cooley plays with each kid at least once each day. I just hope he will be back on the team year year (but I'm not hloding my breath).
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Here’s what one longtime general manager said he would do with tight end Chris Cooley, “He’s a glue guy, not a go-to guy. He’s a guy the quarterback gets comfortable with, and he’s an easy pitch-and-catch guy and a sure guy. But he’s not special. I don’t pay a guy like that much. Right now he’s a $3 million a year guy. I’d want him. This quarterback needs every weapon he can count on, and he’ll be a favorite target because he’s so dependable. So he does have value [to Washington], but there’s no market place for those guys. It’s just more based on what he brings intangibly to the offense. He’s always in the right place. If he’s healthy, you like him. He never was fast. He never was a great blocker. He had really good hands, and he knew how to run good routes, and he has great instincts. You think more in terms of clutch. … But because of the offense they want to run, I don’t know if he’s a fit anymore.


http://community.washingtonexaminer.com/redskins/

#33
Posts: 4081
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
Here’s what one longtime general manager said he would do with tight end Chris Cooley, “He’s a glue guy, not a go-to guy. He’s a guy the quarterback gets comfortable with, and he’s an easy pitch-and-catch guy and a sure guy. But he’s not special. I don’t pay a guy like that much. Right now he’s a $3 million a year guy. I’d want him. This quarterback needs every weapon he can count on, and he’ll be a favorite target because he’s so dependable. So he does have value [to Washington], but there’s no market place for those guys. It’s just more based on what he brings intangibly to the offense. He’s always in the right place. If he’s healthy, you like him. He never was fast. He never was a great blocker. He had really good hands, and he knew how to run good routes, and he has great instincts. You think more in terms of clutch. … But because of the offense they want to run, I don’t know if he’s a fit anymore.


http://community.washingtonexaminer.com/redskins/

2010 he was a top 3 TE in that offense "that he doesn't". Since that "nothing special" TE has been in the NFL he had caught more passes than all but five TEs (Gates, Gonzalez, Witten, and KW2 (3 more catches than Cooley)).

I simply don't care if Cooley is deemed athletically "special" by some long time GM. All I care about is that fact that he puts up top flight numbers when he is healthy. I don't care if he is flashy when doing it. He is a substance over style type player.

He has more catches than Mike Ditka, Dave Casper, Jay Novacek, Brent Jones and our own Jerry Smith had in their NFL careers! And he can probably play for another five years.

Yep Cooley is nothing special! :shock:
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:08 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
Here’s what one longtime general manager said he would do with tight end Chris Cooley, “He’s a glue guy, not a go-to guy. He’s a guy the quarterback gets comfortable with, and he’s an easy pitch-and-catch guy and a sure guy. But he’s not special. I don’t pay a guy like that much. Right now he’s a $3 million a year guy. I’d want him. This quarterback needs every weapon he can count on, and he’ll be a favorite target because he’s so dependable. So he does have value [to Washington], but there’s no market place for those guys. It’s just more based on what he brings intangibly to the offense. He’s always in the right place. If he’s healthy, you like him. He never was fast. He never was a great blocker. He had really good hands, and he knew how to run good routes, and he has great instincts. You think more in terms of clutch. … But because of the offense they want to run, I don’t know if he’s a fit anymore.


http://community.washingtonexaminer.com/redskins/

2010 he was a top 3 TE in that offense "that he doesn't". Since that "nothing special" TE has been in the NFL he had caught more passes than all but five TEs (Gates, Gonzalez, Witten, and KW2 (3 more catches than Cooley)).

I simply don't care if Cooley is deemed athletically "special" by some long time GM. All I care about is that fact that he puts up top flight numbers when he is healthy. I don't care if he is flashy when doing it. He is a substance over style type player.

He has more catches than Mike Ditka, Dave Casper, Jay Novacek, Brent Jones and our own Jerry Smith had in their NFL careers! And he can probably play for another five years.

Yep Cooley is nothing special! :shock:


I don't think that the GM meant his "not special" comment as a put down. I think that he is saying that Cooley is not flashy, not the fastest TE, not the best blocker, not the biggest TE, not the most athletic, not the most powerful, but he is a guy who gets the job done. He has the instincts to be where his QB needs him to be. That explains that stats that you provide. The comment in my opinon was tongue in cheek.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 15736
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
Here’s what one longtime general manager said he would do with tight end Chris Cooley, “He’s a glue guy, not a go-to guy. He’s a guy the quarterback gets comfortable with, and he’s an easy pitch-and-catch guy and a sure guy. But he’s not special. I don’t pay a guy like that much. Right now he’s a $3 million a year guy. I’d want him. This quarterback needs every weapon he can count on, and he’ll be a favorite target because he’s so dependable. So he does have value [to Washington], but there’s no market place for those guys. It’s just more based on what he brings intangibly to the offense. He’s always in the right place. If he’s healthy, you like him. He never was fast. He never was a great blocker. He had really good hands, and he knew how to run good routes, and he has great instincts. You think more in terms of clutch. … But because of the offense they want to run, I don’t know if he’s a fit anymore.


http://community.washingtonexaminer.com/redskins/

2010 he was a top 3 TE in that offense "that he doesn't". Since that "nothing special" TE has been in the NFL he had caught more passes than all but five TEs (Gates, Gonzalez, Witten, and KW2 (3 more catches than Cooley)).

I simply don't care if Cooley is deemed athletically "special" by some long time GM. All I care about is that fact that he puts up top flight numbers when he is healthy. I don't care if he is flashy when doing it. He is a substance over style type player.

He has more catches than Mike Ditka, Dave Casper, Jay Novacek, Brent Jones and our own Jerry Smith had in their NFL careers! And he can probably play for another five years.

Yep Cooley is nothing special! :shock:


I don't think that the GM meant his "not special" comment as a put down. I think that he is saying that Cooley is not flashy, not the fastest TE, not the best blocker, not the biggest TE, not the most athletic, not the most powerful, but he is a guy who gets the job done. He has the instincts to be where his QB needs him to be. That explains that stats that you provide. The comment in my opinon was tongue in cheek.

I don't think it was tongue in cheek. He's basically saying Cooley's overpaid and has no trade value.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:08 am

Deadskins wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
Here’s what one longtime general manager said he would do with tight end Chris Cooley, “He’s a glue guy, not a go-to guy. He’s a guy the quarterback gets comfortable with, and he’s an easy pitch-and-catch guy and a sure guy. But he’s not special. I don’t pay a guy like that much. Right now he’s a $3 million a year guy. I’d want him. This quarterback needs every weapon he can count on, and he’ll be a favorite target because he’s so dependable. So he does have value [to Washington], but there’s no market place for those guys. It’s just more based on what he brings intangibly to the offense. He’s always in the right place. If he’s healthy, you like him. He never was fast. He never was a great blocker. He had really good hands, and he knew how to run good routes, and he has great instincts. You think more in terms of clutch. … But because of the offense they want to run, I don’t know if he’s a fit anymore.


http://community.washingtonexaminer.com/redskins/

2010 he was a top 3 TE in that offense "that he doesn't". Since that "nothing special" TE has been in the NFL he had caught more passes than all but five TEs (Gates, Gonzalez, Witten, and KW2 (3 more catches than Cooley)).

I simply don't care if Cooley is deemed athletically "special" by some long time GM. All I care about is that fact that he puts up top flight numbers when he is healthy. I don't care if he is flashy when doing it. He is a substance over style type player.

He has more catches than Mike Ditka, Dave Casper, Jay Novacek, Brent Jones and our own Jerry Smith had in their NFL careers! And he can probably play for another five years.

Yep Cooley is nothing special! :shock:


I don't think that the GM meant his "not special" comment as a put down. I think that he is saying that Cooley is not flashy, not the fastest TE, not the best blocker, not the biggest TE, not the most athletic, not the most powerful, but he is a guy who gets the job done. He has the instincts to be where his QB needs him to be. That explains that stats that you provide. The comment in my opinon was tongue in cheek.

I don't think it was tongue in cheek. He's basically saying Cooley's overpaid and has no trade value.


"Tongue and cheek" is the wrong term that I used. This GM at the same time he is saying Cooley is not special, sees Cooley as special.
Not sure what you call that.

Let's look at all the attributes the longtime unnamed GM says about Cooley

Negatives:

1. not a go to guy
2. don't pay a guy like that much
3. no trade value
4. never fast
5. never a great blocker
6. don't know if he is a fit where Redskins are going
7. If healthy

Summary of Negatives: The GM sees Cooley as not a special TE

Positives:

1. a guy the quarterback gets comfortable with[
2. easy pitch-and-catch guy
3. a sure guy
4. I’d want him
5. This quarterback needs every weapon he can count on.
6. and he’ll be a favorite target because he’s so dependable.
7. he does have value (to Washington)
8. He's always in the right place
9. good routes
10. great instincts
11. clutch
12. glue guy

Summary of positives: The GM seems to be implying that Cooley is special - great instincts, dependability, clutch, are special qualities that only so few players have. He has to admit that he would want Cooley.

I don't see the overall quote of this GM as a put down of Cooley. Just an honest assessment of Cooley from an opposing longtime GM, who has to be careful how he says things. There is more than enough positives in his statement to say tha tCooley is respected around the league.

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 15736
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:39 am

Red_One43 wrote:I don't see the overall quote of this GM as a put down of Cooley. Just an honest assessment of Cooley from an opposing longtime GM, who has to be careful how he says things. There is more than enough positives in his statement to say tha tCooley is respected around the league.

I can agree with that, though I'm not sure it's an opposing GM. I get the feeling it's Casserly for some reason. :wink:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4118
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:15 am

Red_One43 wrote:
Here’s what one longtime general manager said he would do with tight end Chris Cooley, “He’s a glue guy, not a go-to guy. He’s a guy the quarterback gets comfortable with, and he’s an easy pitch-and-catch guy and a sure guy. But he’s not special. I don’t pay a guy like that much. Right now he’s a $3 million a year guy. I’d want him. This quarterback needs every weapon he can count on, and he’ll be a favorite target because he’s so dependable. So he does have value [to Washington], but there’s no market place for those guys. It’s just more based on what he brings intangibly to the offense. He’s always in the right place. If he’s healthy, you like him. He never was fast. He never was a great blocker. He had really good hands, and he knew how to run good routes, and he has great instincts. You think more in terms of clutch. … But because of the offense they want to run, I don’t know if he’s a fit anymore.


http://community.washingtonexaminer.com/redskins/


I saw this as very realistic and, overall, positive. I think he's saying that, much like Fletch, Chris is worth more to us than he is to anyone else - if healthy. He'd probably fetch little or nothing in a trade and meanwhile, if Chris is healthy, he can do a lot for us - probably more than he could do for anyone else.

He IS at risk.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:I don't see the overall quote of this GM as a put down of Cooley. Just an honest assessment of Cooley from an opposing longtime GM, who has to be careful how he says things. There is more than enough positives in his statement to say tha tCooley is respected around the league.

I can agree with that, though I'm not sure it's an opposing GM. I get the feeling it's Casserly for some reason. :wink:


Casserly came to my mind first as well. :)
Keim didn't say former GM and didn't name the GM so I assume he is still current. Also, Casserly is not shy about commenting publicly about Redskin players.

http://www.csnwashington.com/pages/vide ... 37LIeQhnxX

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:21 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
Here’s what one longtime general manager said he would do with tight end Chris Cooley, “He’s a glue guy, not a go-to guy. He’s a guy the quarterback gets comfortable with, and he’s an easy pitch-and-catch guy and a sure guy. But he’s not special. I don’t pay a guy like that much. Right now he’s a $3 million a year guy. I’d want him. This quarterback needs every weapon he can count on, and he’ll be a favorite target because he’s so dependable. So he does have value [to Washington], but there’s no market place for those guys. It’s just more based on what he brings intangibly to the offense. He’s always in the right place. If he’s healthy, you like him. He never was fast. He never was a great blocker. He had really good hands, and he knew how to run good routes, and he has great instincts. You think more in terms of clutch. … But because of the offense they want to run, I don’t know if he’s a fit anymore.


http://community.washingtonexaminer.com/redskins/


I saw this as very realistic and, overall, positive. I think he's saying that, much like Fletch, Chris is worth more to us than he is to anyone else - if healthy. He'd probably fetch little or nothing in a trade and meanwhile, if Chris is healthy, he can do a lot for us - probably more than he could do for anyone else.

He IS at risk.

DarthMonk


Agreed. I think that it is good to hear from outsiders about our players if they are realistic about the players.

This comes from Bleacher Report which is similar to the old GM:
Cooley is a borderline elite tight end when healthy, as he’s been to two Pro Bowls in eight years with the Washington Redskins. He’s topped 700 yards five times, most recently tying a career-high with 849 in 2010. He totaled just eight catches in limited action in ’11 before the injury shut him down.

Cooley isn’t the best of blockers, and his recent injuries and age (30 this coming summer) have slowed him down a bit, but he still has several more years to give the Redskins.


http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1045 ... ds/page/24

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:31 pm

As far as blocking here is what profootballfocus.com has to say about Cooley:

At least second place (in the bottom 15) Chris Cooley wasn’t kept in all that much in comparison. He still gave up far too much pressure, but there was a degree of damage limitation with the Redskin.


This makes the GM's comment that Cooley is not a great blocker, a compliment.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20 ... ight-ends/

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:37 pm

From 2008-2010, Cooley ranks number nine in the top 10 in TE drop percentage.

Comparison: Fred Davis ranks number 34 in the top TE drop percentage which places him in the bottom 10 in TE drops.

So then we come to the must improves. Over the last three years, no one has dropped a higher percentage of passes than Fred Davis, which helps to explain why he hasn’t been able to push on and claim more playing time. A stark contrast to his Redskin teammate Chris Cooley, who finished ninth. Instead he is joined at the bottom by serial dropper, Brandon Pettigrew, and recently cut Daniel Graham.


Our mystery GM says that Cooley has good hands.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/20 ... ight-ends/

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 4609
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: D.C.

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:41 pm

Cooley held out of Wednesday's mini-camp practice.

--Shanahan said that Cooley was out due to a minor hamstring pull. He probably would have gone if it was the regular season.


Cooley just can't seem to shake the nagging injuries. Fortunately, he has 40+ days until training camp.


http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandle ... of-it.html

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football