Cooley, Moss battling to keep jobs with Redskins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:47 am

Ashburn, Va. (AP) — Tight end Chris Cooley and Santana Moss are probably fighting for more than just their starting jobs with the Washington Redskins— they're possibly battling for roster spots.

Cooley missed all of last summer's work following knee surgery and had just eight catches, 65 yards and no touchdowns in five games.

The 33-year-old Moss got off to a strong start, but his performance dropped off markedly once he returned from a four-game absence with a broken hand. He finished with just 46 catches, 585 yards and four touchdowns.

Cooley, who turns 30 on July 11, understands the task ahead of him.

"I have a big challenge ahead of me in proving that I'm the player I think I can be and I'm still the player that I was," Cooley said. "I feel even if I'm not the guy . I'll still be a major factor on this team."

Fred Davis supplanted Cooley as Washington's No. 1 tight end with a strong 2011 season while the Redskins gave free agent receivers Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan $28.5 million guaranteed in March.

Both Moss and Cooley have dropped about 15 pounds each in an attempt to get quicker, but there are still financial concerns clouding their situations.

Cooley ($3.8 million) and Moss ($2.65 million) cost the Redskins $6.45 million in base salary. The franchise was penalized $18 million on its 2012 cap by the NFL for frontloading contracts during the uncapped 2010 season.

They have been well worth their salaries since Cooley became a fulltime Redskins regular in 2005 — the same year Moss arrived in Washington.

Other than 2009 when Cooley missed the final nine games with a broken leg, he and Moss were Washington's top pass-catchers every year for six straight seasons. They are one of the Redskins' top receiving duos in franchise history — behind the tandem of Hall of Famer Art Monk and Gary Clark.

But that seems like a long time ago.

During coach Mike Shanahan's first press conference since the end of last season on April 25 first press conference he praised the new receivers and Leonard Hankerson, a promising 2011 rookie, while not mentioning Moss.

Despite all the indicators, Cooley and Moss say they aren't worried about their roles with the team.

Cooley had a Redskins tight end record 428 catches while Moss' 485 catches for Washington rank him behind only Monk, Clark and Hall of Famer Charley Taylor.

That said, while Shanahan has liked what he has seen from both players this spring, he has used the word "hopefully" when discussing the futures of Moss and Cooley — who combined to catch 170 passes for 1,964 yards and nine touchdowns during the coach's Washington debut in 2010.

"I don't play worried about something," said Moss, who burned ace cornerback DeAngelo Hall for a long touchdown catch from rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III during Tuesday's minicamp practice. "You're going to get guys coming in year after year from college, from other teams, and when you have guys that played on the level (that Garcon and Morgan) played on, teams are going to want them.

"All that can do for you is to motivate you to be on that same level."
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:49 am

thanks 1niksder

this confirms the reports that the roster will be made up with players that have earned their spots here and now

this franchise is about what you will contribute to the success of your team in the future not what you did last year or before

competing for roster spots - gotta love it

hopefully Santana and Chris are a part of this going forward as it's only going to get better here

I think Santana's in and I think Cooley's still got something left and a lot of desire to be here
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:46 pm

I agree with what you're saying, SJ. But salary seems to be playing a big part here too. It kind of sounds like not only do Moss/Cooley have to earn their spots, but they may have to be playing MUCH better than the younger, less expensive guys.

Do you agree?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:01 pm

1niksder would have a better handle on this than I do

this season - Moss & Cooley will be on the roster if they show they're going to be able to contribute - both seem to be preparing to fight to win roster spots

I doubt that their salaries are a factor for this season

IMO - Moss will have a really good year - Cooley will always find a way to be a clutch player - I think Davis will be the best TE
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "the things we’re doing are things he’s comfortable with & complement his strengths"

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:29 pm

SkinsJock wrote:thanks 1niksder

this confirms the reports that the roster will be made up with players that have earned their spots here and now

this franchise is about what you will contribute to the success of your team in the future not what you did last year or before

competing for roster spots - gotta love it

hopefully Santana and Chris are a part of this going forward as it's only going to get better here

I think Santana's in and I think Cooley's still got something left and a lot of desire to be here

SJ....concur with your thoughts on Moss...I have always thought Moss would be a WR on this years team. Cooley....that could be a bit different depending on his recovery from injury.

I would imagine that both would be on the roster this season UNLESS the salary cap issue comes into play....and who knows, they may try to restructure contracts to buy some time there.
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:04 pm

rskin - I agree - If I had to, I'd say that Moss is almost certainly here and Cooley has a good shot at making the roster

Cooley has a lot of desire but it's going to come down to his ability to show that he's fully recovered

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Restructure both with bonus options for playing.every game and performing to a certain level or higher. Neither are "done" and both are not just vets, but Redskin vets, who bleed B&G. The locker room contributions and grooming of new faces has to be taken into account. Another year.like last year though, and restructuring of their contracts probably won't even save them.
That said they are staples in redskins recent history, I own jerseys of both as do ky son and wife, so I'd be extremely sad to see them go or under perform.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:28 am

cowboykillerzRED wrote:Restructure both with bonus options for playing.every game and performing to a certain level or higher. Neither are "done" and both are not just vets, but Redskin vets, who bleed B&G.

I agree with what you're saying, kind of surprised the restructuring hasn't happened yet. Unless both these guys have REALLY fallen off and just can't get it done, I would hope they'll be back.

piggie

Postby ICEMAN » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:47 am

These two are my absolute favorite! They are true Redskins and will be here...without a doubt!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:53 am

After rewatching games 1 and 2, Cooley still has a lot to offer this team and more importntly , a rookie QB.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Postby Jak101 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:59 pm

It seems like even the professionals can't say whether or not Cooley will play, but I still thought this offered a pretty good summary: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/ ... kins-notes

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:55 pm

Jak101 wrote:It seems like even the professionals can't say whether or not Cooley will play, but I still thought this offered a pretty good summary: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/ ... kins-notes

Thanks for the post. I agree with Graz's summary of Cooley's situation.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:29 pm

Just pause and think back to Moss and Cooley's first year with the team. Seems forever.

Yes, I get sentimentsal about some players. I hope these two make it.

Hog

Postby rick301 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:22 pm

I believe Santana will be just fine and on the roster. He's still fast, runs great routs and has veteran savy. A rookie QB needs that - a receiver who can compensate when things break down.

I'd like to see Cooley on the roster. You gotta love his spirit and passion for the skins and the game. It depends on how well he has recovered from his knee injury.

I'm not totally sold on Davis. Yes, he's very talented (but not as good as Cooley blocking) but he is close to a lengthy suspension if he fails another urine analysis.

I want to see a healthy Cooley, along with Davis and Moss on the field together as weapons for RG III. That will present all types of headaches for defenses!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:54 pm

welch wrote:Yes, I get sentimentsal about some players. I hope these two make it.

:!:

Right with you bro!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football