2012 Nationals

Washington Capitals, Washington Nationals, Washington Wizards, Washington Mystics, and D.C. United... all go here!
ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:07 am

Back to the Nats.

I watched the game last night. Obviously not their best pitcher (Wang) on the mound but the offense was out of control. 3 HR's lots of solid hitting and now the Nats are 4 games up in first place. Harper had his second 3 hit game, kid's on fire.

FYI, Stasburg is pitching tonight.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:43 pm

From the time I met CT back in elementary school until this year, I had never checked the standings to see if the Senators / Nats were near first place. Now...ha!!!

For all those years of Herbie Plews, Ralph Lumenti, Clint Courtney, all those strikeouts by Don Lock, now it is sweet.

I remember when Bob Short announced that he was scuttling off to someplace near Dallas, and George Allen announced that this season, 1971, the Redskins would make the playoffs. Everyone thought Old George was crazy, since the Skins had not been in a playoff game since the mid-40s...

"Baseball has insulted the Nation's Capital", George said, and the Redskins are going to lift this city". Crazy George, we said.

"The future is now", he said. And it was and has been for 40 years. Hail to the Redskins, let's go Nasty Nats!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:46 pm

They had a 3 game skid against the Yankees then the one hangover game against the Rays. I see them winning this next one then battling this weekend playing the Orioles.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:10 pm

welch wrote:From the time I met CT back in elementary school

You've known Countertrey since elementary school?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:30 am

I was at Saturday's game vs Bmore. DC represented in the stands very nice. Had the whole family with me and the atmosphere was pretty good, also had the baby so couldn't stay past the 6th but glad we beat um.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:47 am

Nationals need to step up the hitting big time. Everything else is in place. Problem is, hitting costs money. Money The Nats may not want to spend.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:52 pm

Deadskins wrote:

Almost. I am slightly older (must admit), but we rode the same South Dakota Ave bus to Bunker Hill Elementary School. We both had Mrs. Cole, who taught us to read. CT lived on one side of South Dakota; I lived on the other. Probably stood at the same bus-stop. In fact, my sister had her tonsils out at the same hospital where CT was born, I think.

Hence, whenever things get too grim, or boring, I can insist that I told him the Redskin's QB should be Eddie LeBaron, while he backed Al Dorrow or maybe Jack Scarbath. (Everybody here should know Eddie LeBaron, but you have to love pain to remember Jack Scarbath and Al Dorrow.)

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:18 pm

welch wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Almost. I am slightly older (must admit), but we rode the same South Dakota Ave bus to Bunker Hill Elementary School. We both had Mrs. Cole, who taught us to read. CT lived on one side of South Dakota; I lived on the other. Probably stood at the same bus-stop. In fact, my sister had her tonsils out at the same hospital where CT was born, I think.

Hence, whenever things get too grim, or boring, I can insist that I told him the Redskin's QB should be Eddie LeBaron, while he backed Al Dorrow or maybe Jack Scarbath. (Everybody here should know Eddie LeBaron, but you have to love pain to remember Jack Scarbath and Al Dorrow.)

He took my milk money... regularly. I have a calcium deficiency to this day. And, he sat on me until I said "SCARBATH!!" Bastage.

(you have to admit... Scarbath is one bad ass name) :twisted:
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:12 pm

Anyways... The Nats play the Rockies tonight so I'm fully expecting us to take a few games.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Countertrey wrote:
welch wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

He took my milk money... regularly. I have a calcium deficiency to this day. And, he sat on me until I said "SCARBATH!!" Bastage.

What scares me most is that Jack Scarbath was a Heisman runner-up, and I think the Redskins had the second or third pick in the draft...someplace near the top. Don't want to start thinking about parallels, even if it might be nearly 60 years later.

And I never took your milk money!!

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:53 pm

Nationals Turn Back the Clock with a Comeback

After all of my Tweets about the Nats, I've finally blogged about them. This is a helluva team to watch, folks.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:14 pm

Jake wrote:Nationals Turn Back the Clock with a Comeback

After all of my Tweets about the Nats, I've finally blogged about them. This is a helluva team to watch, folks.

Great game to blog about, Jake. The sight of the straight-edge 'W' goes right through my heart. I'll repeat what I said someplace:

The win over the Giants was not a matter of luck. Clearly, Clark Griffith and Walter Johnson, Sam Rice, Joe Judge, Goose Goslin, and Muddy Ruel reached back and helped out, while Bucky Harris whispered advice to Davey.

The back-to-back homers were a touch of Bucky Harris, hitting a home-run to deep left, and deep left in Griffith Stadium, even with added bleachers, was VERY deep.

Walter Johnson lent a hand to Clip in the 9th.

Lombo's bunt that the pitcher couldn't handle was like Giants catcher stumbling on his face-mask as he tried to catch Muddy Ruel's pop foul.

TMoore's double was Muddy Ruel slamming a double right after the muffed foul. Plays don't have to arrive in the same order.

And...who can doubt that there was a Freddie Lindstrom moment when the throw hopped over the 1B mitt??

Luck had nothing to do with it. That game was supposed to look lost, and be won by the team with the 'W' on their hats. For details, see the 1924 Game 7 summary, at:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 0100.shtml

Junior Hog

Postby Jake » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:47 pm

That certainly was one of the best games of the season. Reading that makes me wish I was around in 1924 to experience it.
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:55 am

Countertrey wrote:
welch wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

we rode the same South Dakota Ave bus to Bunker Hill Elementary School. We both had Mrs. Cole, who taught us to read. CT lived on one side of South Dakota; I lived on the other. Probably stood at the same bus-stop. In fact, my sister had her tonsils out at the same hospital where CT was born, I think.

:-s :hail:

Ya'll are so homegrown, I knew I (brotherly) loved you jerks for a reason. :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:21 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:I knew I (brotherly) loved you jerks for a reason. :lol:

Are you from Philly?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Washington Sports Teams