Why not Do it Again....WRs.. Who stays - Who goes?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:29 pm

andyjens89 wrote:In my opinion:

SAFE
Garcon
Morgan
Hankerson
Moss

BUBBLE
Armstrong
Austin
Robinson
Banks

WOULD BE SURPRISED
Lewis
Hanks
Kirkland
Hernandez

I tuned into this post to see how many bubble predictors don't realize that Banks is a kr and pr.

ch1

Postby crazyhorse1 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:GARCON-MOSS-MORGAN

Das my preference.. Hankerson, he can go clean some cleats or helmets.

I simply can't understand the enthusiasm for Morgan. His stats are mediocre at best and he's injury prone. There's a reason we got him so cheap. He might be the second coming; but chances are he'll be on the bench much of the season, injured or not. He's just not that good.

I would guess this is the reason he is here at a bargain, if he plays up to par.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... redskins-/

“I’m very, very close [to 100 percent],” Morgan said after the Redskins‘ second day of mandatory minicamp. “I just got to get my explosion back. The pain is gone. Everything else is healed.”

He has to get on the field first, though. Morgan was limited in all of the spring practices. Not only does he lack explosion, he said he has lost five inches off his vertical jump.

He's a prospect and a bargain because he caught three passes a game and averaged a little over 40 yards per game?

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:33 pm

crazyhorse1 wrote:He's a prospect and a bargain because he caught three passes a game and averaged a little over 40 yards per game?

He's a prospect becuase he's shown flashes of great ability.

"Cheap" is probably a better descriptor than "bargain" at this point. If he produces then he can be called a bargain.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:59 pm

In 2011, Josh Morgan was on his way to having a career season with the Niners. This is the receiver that the Skins hoped that they signed.

As we all know, Josh severely broke his ankle which included ligament damage. There are major question marks about him being the same receiver as he was before the injury.

Here's what Harbaugh had to say about Morgan:

On the same day the 49ers put Morgan on injured reserve because of a broken right leg, Harbaugh said the team wants Morgan back next season – and beyond – and he said he's told the wide receiver as much.

"We'll make that a priority," Harbaugh said.

Morgan had surgery Monday, during which screws were inserted into his right leg. Harbaugh said the injury included ligament damage but that there shouldn't be any long-term issues with Morgan's recovery.

He called the 26-year-old receiver a "tremendously hard worker," and Morgan seems to fit the mold for what Harbaugh wants in a wide receiver: He's disciplined and team-oriented, and at 220 pounds he's an excellent downfield blocker in the running game for a team that aspires to overwhelm opponents with power.

Given his injury history, injury prone is a fair assessment, but given his production last year, his team oriented spirit, discipline and his blocking, he is more than "mediocre at best" and there is reason to be enthusiastic about the guy. Given that we got him so cheap, the risk/reward factor is in our favor.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/13/397777 ... rylink=cpy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Morgan

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:12 am

I thought he got his leg broke? Huh
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:34 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:Garcon and Morgan on the outside, Moss in the slot. I expect to see lots of the 3 receiver sets this year to spread the field.

In most cases In can see Moss on the field, even in two WR sets. The only exception is if we want to show a heavy run formation and in that case we could have Morgan and AAA as the only WR on the field with Davis and Cooley on the field and Helu at RB.

That formation gets our best blocking WRs on the field with a two TE set, but it gives you two legit deep threats at WR, two great pass catching TEs and a RB that caught 49 passes last year (14 in one game). So even though the players on the field would suggest run, the D has to play pass too, because there are 5 credible recievers on the field.

... and all fast ... well, maybe not Cooley. In addition, RGIII is a huge threat and Helu (with only one more catch) had 64 more yards receiving than LeSean McCoy ... and he only started 5 games!

We can also field strong 4 and 5 wide sets.

I am on the verge of predicting Banks inactive for game 1.

DarthMonk

Banks, if healthy, 100% will not be inactive for game 1. He will either be returning kicks, punts, and catching the occasional pass OR he won't be on the team. No way he is inactive!

Is he inactive if he gets cut?

I'm starting to think there is a strong chance of one or the other or both.

DarthMonk

Moving Niles Paul from WR to TE made me think there might be room for Banks on the roster if he could get a few snaps but now I'm not so sure, considering his main competition will be Santana Moss and Joshua Morgan to get on the field.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:42 pm

^ Because 5th receivers do not get many receptions for most teams, for Banks, it still comes down to who can beat him out as a returner.

Shanny salivates over the Banks' explosiveness. Someone has to give him that. Is it Aldrick Robinson? He has been working on returning punts.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:25 pm

Red_One43 wrote:^ Because 5th receivers do not get many receptions for most teams, for Banks, it still comes down to who can beat him out as a returner.

Shanny salivates over the Banks' explosiveness. Someone has to give him that. Is it Aldrick Robinson? He has been working on returning punts.

Shanny wants his returners to be more than just returners. I counted him out last year but I'd like to see him stick around this year (if he can earn a spot). I just don't see it if someone else takes over the return duties.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:40 pm

1niksder wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:^ Because 5th receivers do not get many receptions for most teams, for Banks, it still comes down to who can beat him out as a returner.

Shanny wants his returners to be more than just returners. I counted him out last year but I'd like to see him stick around this year (if he can earn a spot). I just don't see it if someone else takes over the return duties.

We are in agreement here. Someone else has to step up to take over the duties. Paul might be the KOR guy. Someone else needs to step it up fro PRs.

To me only two guys on the roster might be as explosive as Banks that can be regular returners - Robinson - last year could not field punts and AA who wasn't given an opportunity, but says that he can do it.

I still think Banks will suprise folks from the Receiver spot. He caught over 123 balls in two years of college. Us Big 12 fans, know that Banks has a lot to offer from the wide out position. Shanny knows it as well.

Postby 1niksder » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:52 pm

Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:

We are in agreement here. Someone else has to step up to take over the duties. Paul might be the KOR guy. Someone else needs to step it up fro PRs.

To me only two guys on the roster might be as explosive as Banks that can be regular returners - Robinson - last year could not field punts and AA who wasn't given an opportunity, but says that he can do it.

I still think Banks will suprise folks from the Receiver spot. He caught over 123 balls in two years of college. Us Big 12 fans, know that Banks has a lot to offer from the wide out position. Shanny knows it as well.

Austin can return kicks but IMO he's behind Banks on the depth chart at the slot position.

With the money they paid Josh Morgan, he'll play and Moss might not be a lock but if Morgan isn't worth the coin and they have to go to a "Plan B" mid season, do you want to fall back on unproven Brandon Banks or a fresh Santana Moss?
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:59 pm

1niksder wrote:
Red_One43 wrote:
1niksder wrote:

Austin can return kicks but IMO he's behind Banks on the depth chart at the slot position.

With the money they paid Josh Morgan, he'll play and Moss might not be a lock but if Morgan isn't worth the coin and they have to go to a "Plan B" mid season, do you want to fall back on unproven Brandon Banks or a fresh Santana Moss?

Yes, that is why I didn't list Austin. He is good as a returner, but I think he needs to be explosive to take over for Banks. It will be an exciting battle.

I wonder if any of the undrafted guys will emerge.

Has your choices for who stays - who goes changed since your last one?

Postby 1niksder » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:18 pm

Red_One43 wrote:I wonder if any of the undrafted guys will emerge.

Has your choices for who stays - who goes changed since your last one?

Nope still no changes with camp starting next week

Pierre Garçon
Joshua Morgan
Leonard Hankerson
Santana Moss
Anthony Armstrong
Brandon Banks

Aldrick Robinson still goes back to the PS, haven't heard much from the non FA new additions
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:27 pm

I think Robinson will be the final WR on the roster. I don't think Banks will make it only b/c he's a one trick pony and the NFL took away his biggest asset which was his returns.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:02 pm

Here's mine:

Pierre Garçon
Joshua Morgan
Leonard Hankerson
Santana Moss
Aldrick Robinson
Brandon Banks

Anthony Armstrong - Could beat Banks out if she shows that he is a better or as good returner. We know he has same speed as Banks, but does he have the vision. For now, I am going with Banks.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:27 pm

frankcal20 wrote:I think Robinson will be the final WR on the roster. I don't think Banks will make it only b/c he's a one trick pony and the NFL took away his biggest asset which was his returns.

Banks as well as a lot of returners were neutralized by the NFL KO return rule change, but in punt returns Banks still retained his explosiveness.

Banks' 23.0 beat Hestor's 21.9 (Not saying Banks is better than Hestor (he's not), but saying that the rules even neutralized Hestor).

One "trick pony?"

1 - Reverse for a TD (called back but counts in the HC's mind when evaluating a player)
2 - Pass for a TD -

That's two tricks :)

No trick, but only Devin Hestor (12) and Ted Ginn (12) had more 20 yard plus returns than Banks (9).

Finally, when Shanny told Banks, he had to make the team as a wide out this is what Shanny said Banks' response was:

I called him in early and I told him he’s going to have to help us at the wide receiver position as well if he’s going to make this football team,” Shanahan said. “He accepted the challenge and came [to camp] in excellent shape.”

Shanahan said Banks has gained approximately 10 pounds since last season, when he had 155 pounds on his 5-foot-7 frame. He saw time at each receiver spot during minicamp, but will have to battle 11 others in training camp if he’s to have a shot.

This is no guarantee that Banks will make the team, but what Shanny is saying, hardly speaks of Banks as a "one trick" pony.

With all that being said, Robinson could be the key whether or not Banks makes it. If Robinson can return punts with the explosiveness of Banks and I think he can, you might end up being right.

What is your latest who stays - who goes?

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football