Josh Gordon

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Rotoworld reported yesterday that "high-ranking members" of Baylor's team felt Gordon was a better prospect than his former teammate Kendall Wright, prior to Gordon's departure from the team. Wright was selected with the 20th overall pick in this year's Draft by the Tennessee Titans.

Of course, leading into any NFL Draft, there is a ton of rumors, speculation, and misinformation. Draft "experts" have Gordon going anywhere from early in the draft, to not being worth a sixth round choice. And, the teams interested in Gordon varies almost as much. The Cleveland Browns have been both in the bidding and out of it for Gordon. SB Nation Kansas City found a mock draft that has the Washington Redskins getting Gordon in the fifth round, teaming him up with his former Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III. (The mock also has the Dolphins ending up with Carson-Newman linebacker Larry Lumpkin in the seventh round.) Rotoworld also has a report that "one NFC East" team is "prepared to put a third-round bid" on Gordon.

And, of course, ESPN's Mel Kiper, Jr., the draft "expert of all experts" and the only man whose hair moves less than Jimmy Johnson's, weighed in on Gordon:

Mel Kiper Jr.✔
@MelKiperESPN

Former Baylor WR Josh Gordon (talented 6-3-220 pounder with 4.40 speed & big hands) could be a 4th rd pick in July 12 Supplemental Draft.

2 Jul 12 Reply
Retweet
Favorite

SI.com's NFL Draft analyst Tony Pauline tweeted on July 6:

Tony Pauline@TonyPauline

Several sources confirmed w/me tonight Josh Gordon/WR/Baylor was targeted as a potential 1st/2nd prospect after his sophomore season in '10

6 Jul 12 Reply
Retweet
Favorite

How the supplemental draft works:

Thursday will clarify everything, after the Supplemental Draft is concluded. The NFL's Supplemental Draft is conducted like a silent auction. Any team that is interested in a player may place a bid on that player, choosing whichever round they feel they would select him in the full NFL Draft. Then, whichever team placed the lowest bid wins the rights to the player, but concedes the corresponding pick from the following year's Draft. For example, if a team places a third round bid on Gordon, while another places a fifth round bid, the third round bid would win, and that team would lose its third round choice in next April's Draft.

This year's Supplemental Draft will take place electronically beginning at 1pm Easter on Thursday, July 12

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:35 pm

This article was written as rumors spread that the University of Utah was thinking about recruiting Gordon.

He was arrested in October 2010, allowed to continue the 2010 season with Baylor. Just prior to the pre-season workout with Baylor, he is suspended indefinitely.

Apparently, the Utes found it alright to recruit him.

Why did Baylor wait so long to suspend him indefinitely? He has got to be forthcoming on this question to the scouts.
Why did he leave the Utes? He needs to be forthcoming on this one as well.
Are there more details out there that the media isn't privy to?

What we do know, there is no way that he compares to Janoris Jenkins as far as character issues.

The reports don't even say that he tested positive for marijuana. They say that he was found in a car with marijuana in it.

So far, I can't rule the guy out for character issues, when I look at everything posted in this thread.

Utes have interest in Baylor receiver, what would you do?

Published on Aug 19, 2011 08:46AM

ESPN has reported that Josh Gordon, a junior receiver who has left the Baylor program, possibly could be transferring to Utah, however, no offer has been extended to him from Utah.
The Utes are interested in Gordon, but are looking into his situation, which sounds like a messy one. Gordon, a 6-foot-4, 220-pounder who was the Bears' second-leading receiver in 2010, was suspended indefinitely before preseason camp began. He was arrested last October after being found in a car that had marijuana inside it.
Utah's coaches will examine thoroughly Gordon's situation before making any kind of decision.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahs ... r.html.csp

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:49 pm

Josh Gordon was arrested with Willie Jefferson a TE with Baylor. Jefferson was driving and Gordon was passed out in the in the front passenger's seat. Jefferson was immediately released from the team.

Willie Jefferson Arrested

October 14, 2010

Name: Willie Jefferson
Team: Baylor University (College Football)
Charge: Possession of Marijuana
Story:

Baylor University tight end Willie Jefferson arrested on Thursday (October 14, 2010).

Jefferson, 19, was pulled over by police and was found in possession of one ounce of Hydro (a high-potency form of marijuana).

Jefferson was dismissed from the team after this incident. This is his second arrest in October, he was arrested with teammate Josh Gordon on October 3.

Josh Gordon and Willie Jefferson Arrested

October 8, 2010

Names: Josh Gordon and Willie Jefferson
Team: Baylor University (College Football)
Charges: Marijuana Possession
Story:

According to usatoday.com, Baylor University wide receiver Josh Gordon and tight end Willie Jefferson were arrested Sunday (October 3, 2010) in Waco, Texas.

Police were called around 2 a.m. about a man passed out in a Taco Bell drive-through lane. Jefferson was driving the vehicle and Gordon was in the front passenger seat. Police searched the vehicle and found bags of marijuana.

Gordon and Jefferson, both sophomores, were later released on their own recognizance.

http://arrestnation.com/tag/baylor-university/

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:24 pm

More details from the Baylor suspension:

By John Werner and Chelsea Quackenbush
Tribune-Herald staff writer
Sunday July 24, 2011

Baylor junior receiver Josh Gordon has been suspended indefinitely from the football program for violation of team rules, head coach Art Briles announced Saturday night.
A Harris County Jail spokesman said Saturday night Gordon had a pending charge of credit card/debit abuse with a $2,000 bond, but it was unclear if he had been arrested.
Briles didn’t indicate if the suspension from the team was related to the credit card/debit abuse charge.
“Josh has been suspended from our program for team rules violations,” Briles said.

“Josh has been suspended from our program for team rules violations,” Briles said in a statement. “This disciplinary action, as all past and future actions, will be handled internally.”
Briles had no further comment.

Gordon and former Baylor receiver Willie Jefferson were charged on Oct. 3, 2010, for misdemeanor marijuana possession in Waco. After sitting out for one quarter in the following game against Texas Tech, Gordon entered in the second quarter and caught a 34-yard touchdown pass from Robert Griffin.
The marijuana charge against Gordon was later dropped by the state. Jefferson was dismissed from the team following a second arrest for marijuana possession last October. Jefferson returned for spring drills, but left Baylor following the spring semester.jwerner@wacotrib.com

This might explain why Baylor waited 6 months to suspend him indefinitely:
Originally Posted by Trevious02 (Baylor Fan site)

Glad to see that the media isn't putting out BS info in regards to the kid missing practice and not being a hard worker. To my knowledge he has done everything that the Judicial Affairs Council has asked, however the previous piss poor decision Josh made last season scares them from giving him that second chance. It's unfortunate that they waited 6 months before dropping the news on him. Good luck to him getting situated with a new school in this short of a period of time!

Ironically the credit card incident happened prior to him joining Baylor while in high school, and definitely seems to have been brought up by a small market media hack with nothing better to report than something that took place 2-3 years back? This kid really pissed off the wrong people for that information to be leaked!

http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showth ... 138&page=2

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:20 pm

Some of you seem DESPERATE.

PASS on the guy. Just say NO.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:51 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:Some of you seem DESPERATE.

i haven't read anything about this guy but if RIC says pass on um, well pass on him den. :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:16 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:

i haven't read anything about this guy but if RIC says pass on um, well pass on him den. :lol:

Aside from the INTENDED pun in your post, this guy has far many more red lights than a Friday traffic jam in Manhattan.

The risk is huge and if he even finds a roster spot, trouble will surely follow.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:34 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:

Aside from the INTENDED pun in your post, this guy has far many more red lights than a Friday traffic jam in Manhattan.

The risk is huge and if he even finds a roster spot, trouble will surely follow.

Actually no RIC, I really meant that because alot of times your opinion is pretty similar to mine. :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:28 am

frankcal20 wrote:Question is, who's place does he take on the roster? What if it doesn't work out? You've given up on a player who's probably experienced and talented for an unproven guy who, while has measurables, hasn't done it at this level and also has had some problems.

Probably Anthony Armstrong or Terrence Austin, I would guess. I get your point though, and I pretty much agree. I kinda think we would just have to trust the coaches on whether they think he is a likely upgrade to either of those two.

I keep reading that Armstrong and Austin are both likely in their last year to show that they can get it done. If that is the case, then I don't think its entirely crazy to consider.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Any chance no one bids?

Can we bid a 7th rounder?

Would he be worth that risk?

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:32 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Any chance no one bids?

Can we bid a 7th rounder?

Would he be worth that risk?

DarthMonk

We have two 5th rounders next year (thanks to Haynesworth). The key for me is what is RGIII saying about the guy. The Baylor spokeman said that the coaches like him and that he did what he was supposed to do on the field.

Hypothetical - RGIII says, Coach I know the guy. He needs some guidance. He works hard and and is dedicated to the game.

My scoutts say - coach he is the real deal. Raw - but the real deal as far as talent.

I am risking the 5th.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Bills, Browns will check out Josh Gordon on Tuesday

The list of teams heading to Houston to check out wide receiver Josh Gordon’s Tuesday workout keeps growing.

We learned earlier Monday that the Cowboys will be there to watch the former Baylor wideout do his thing and now a pair of AFC clubs have been added to the mix. James Walker of ESPN.com reports that the Bills will be in attendance and Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon-Journal passes along the same information about the Browns.

Doing their due diligence.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... /#comments

swine

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:25 pm

riggofan wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:Question is, who's place does he take on the roster? What if it doesn't work out? You've given up on a player who's probably experienced and talented for an unproven guy who, while has measurables, hasn't done it at this level and also has had some problems.

Probably Anthony Armstrong or Terrence Austin, I would guess. I get your point though, and I pretty much agree. I kinda think we would just have to trust the coaches on whether they think he is a likely upgrade to either of those two.

I keep reading that Armstrong and Austin are both likely in their last year to show that they can get it done. If that is the case, then I don't think its entirely crazy to consider.

I see both of these players being at or near their ceiling. To me we have to continue to dig for young talent that has the potential to develop into a key cog given the opportunity (ala Victor Cruz). Not saying Gordon is the answer. We know he is a risk. I just see him potentially having a much higher cap as a developmental player, which is what anyone beyond the #4 receiver should be. If the cards fall right and the potential becomes capability, you have a lot more than a #5 or #6 guy.

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:57 am

Yeah, I'm really not sold on Austin and Armstrong was a huge disappointment last season.

I'm not saying I'm right, but if Shanny feels the same way then why not look for a rough diamond to polish up...? If the guy has more potential upside than those two then its worth giving it a go.

If RG3, having done some work with our receiving corps now, says this guy would be better then a couple that we already have then would you ignore him...?

Having said that, he would need to be a better bet than the guy we'd probably get with the draft pick we'd lose next season.

Stick or twist....?!?
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:31 am

Colorado Skin Fan wrote:I see both of these players being at or near their ceiling. To me we have to continue to dig for young talent that has the potential to develop into a key cog given the opportunity (ala Victor Cruz). Not saying Gordon is the answer. We know he is a risk. I just see him potentially having a much higher cap as a developmental player, which is what anyone beyond the #4 receiver should be. If the cards fall right and the potential becomes capability, you have a lot more than a #5 or #6 guy.

Yep, I understand what you are saying and completely agree. I don't think its a matter of being "desperate" either. We just happen to be a team with a two year salary cap penalty and no first round draft picks in the near future. If we have an opportunity to upgrade WR at a discount, maybe we're a team who takes the risk to make it happen.

Btw did anybody else read today that it was "an NFC East team" who gave him that 3rd round grade?

Return to General Manager's Office