Josh Gordon

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:44 pm

riggofan wrote:
Colorado Skin Fan wrote:I see both of these players being at or near their ceiling. To me we have to continue to dig for young talent that has the potential to develop into a key cog given the opportunity (ala Victor Cruz). Not saying Gordon is the answer. We know he is a risk. I just see him potentially having a much higher cap as a developmental player, which is what anyone beyond the #4 receiver should be. If the cards fall right and the potential becomes capability, you have a lot more than a #5 or #6 guy.

Yep, I understand what you are saying and completely agree. I don't think its a matter of being "desperate" either. We just happen to be a team with a two year salary cap penalty and no first round draft picks in the near future. If we have an opportunity to upgrade WR at a discount, maybe we're a team who takes the risk to make it happen.

Btw did anybody else read today that it was "an NFC East team" who gave him that 3rd round grade?

The Eagles and the Cowboys were the only confirmed attendees from the NFC East at his pro day today. Most likely one of them that has the 3rd round grade on him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-pro-day/

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:57 pm

Supplemental draft prospect Gordon runs 4.52 forty at Pro Day

Top supplemental draft prospect Josh Gordon conducted an individual Pro Day workout at the Houston Texans’ indoor facility on Tuesday morning. Per Adam Caplan, most NFL teams in attendance sent two personnel evaluators – in most instances their college scouting director and one area scout.

The Philadelphia Eagles, Cleveland Browns, Buffalo Bills, and Dallas Cowboys were among the teams confirmed to have attended. Obviously, there were Texans officials on hand, too. In all, 21 teams showed up.

Caplan reports that Gordon ran a 4.52 forty-yard dash after measuring in at 6-foot-3 1/8 and 224 pounds. Gordon recorded a 36-inch vertical leap with a 10-foot, 1-inch broad jump. He did 13 reps on the bench.

He's an inch shorter in height and 1/10 slower in speed.

I still wouldn't go higher than a 5th round bid.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... t-pro-day/

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:24 pm

A pulled hammy and not playing football in a while should be a concern. Teams should expect him to sit next year just to get back in football shape, learn the pro game and develop into a Pro-WR.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:49 pm

fifth rounder Do it!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:11 pm

More details on Josh Gordon’s Pro Day workout

Tony Pauline of SI.com and TFY Draft Insider reported that Gordon pulled his quadricep muscle on his second forty-yard dash attempt. According to Rob Rang of CBS Sports, the injury was specifically to Gordon’s left thigh, so he only ended up running the forty once.

Gordon did finish the workout, though, confirming that the injury isn’t a concern. Citing a league source, Rang reported that Gordon exhibited some stiffness during post-forty route-running drills, but “caught the ball cleanly” throughout the workout and demonstrated the ability to secure passes over his shoulder.
Adam Caplan has a few more details. Gordon measured in with an incredibly large 82-inch wingspan, and ten-inch hands. As passed along before, he’s 6-foot-3 1/8-inch tall and 224 pounds. Particularly for an NFL wide receiver prospect, Gordon is a big boy.

Per Caplan, the Seattle Seahawks, Chicago Bears, Kansas City Chiefs, Indianapolis Colts, San Francisco 49ers, New England Patriots, Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, and Washington Redskins were among the teams in attendance, in addition to the five clubs mentioned previously.

UPDATE: The Oakland Raiders were also there.

Skins were there! I guess RGIII had some paositves to say about Gordon. How positive? We will see on Thursday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... y-workout/

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Smoke and Mirrors

During the regular draft, teams tend to say good things about players they don’t like and bad things about players they do. So with such a groundswell of good things being said about Gordon, it’s hard not to wonder whether some teams are hoping that someone will use too high of a supplemental pick on Gordon.

Were the Redskins at the pro day because they are interested or because they are trying to get someone to over bid?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... overhyped/

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:23 am

:shock: Why would a team, like the Redskins, give up draft picks for a player when there are better players available

Plaxico Burress is a better WR than Josh Gordon
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:05 am

SkinsJock wrote::shock: Why would a team, like the Redskins, give up draft picks for a player when there are better players available

Youth.
The Burress business is debatable. Though Plaxico definitely has the experience edge (obviously, since Josh has never played a down in the NFL), Gordon has more upside.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:12 am

Josh Gordon Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
Excellent size
Solid hands
Physical
Dangerous with ball in his hands
Picks up yards after the catch
Is a red-zone weapon
Good third-down receiver
Leaping ability
Scheme versatility

Weaknesses:
Will his speed translate to the NFL?
Quickness?
Year-long suspension for drug issue
Runs too upright
Raw, unpolished

Summary: Gordon is an interesting athlete who looked like he was on the cusp of turning into a good pro prospect. He caught four passes for 65 yards as a freshman in 2009. Gordon served as a nice complementary receiver to Kendall Wright in 2010. Quarterback Robert Griffin III went primarily to Wright, but Gordon was a solid contributor as a sophomore. He totaled 42 receptions for 714 yards and seven touchdowns.

Gordon logged two 100-yard receiving games in his collegiate career. The first came against Kansas with 161 yards and two scores on four catches. He took a screen pass 94-yards for a touchdown against the Jayhawks. His second 100-yard outing came against Kansas State with seven receptions for 141 yards and two scores.

Colorado featured cornerback Jimmy Smith that season, a future first-round pick, and Gordon didn't record a catch in that game. Against good competition Gordon was held in check: Texas (2-23), Oklahoma State (3-29), Texas A&M (3-35) and Oklahoma (2-13) all kept him out of the end zone.

Baylor suspended Gordon heading into his junior season for what he said was a marijuana problem. Gordon transfered to Utah, but never played for the Utes as he sat out the 2011 season per NCAA transfer rules. Rather than play for Utah and improve his stock before going pro, Gordon decided to enter the NFL's 2012 supplemental draft.

Gordon ran the 40-yard dash in the 4.5s at his pro day workout, a time slower than expected. He could fit a variety of offenses in the NFL. Gordon would definitely be a nice fit in a West Coast offense as a Z (flanker) receiver. He has the size to work the middle of the field. Gordon also is a potential red-zone weapon.

Player Comparison: Josh Morgan. When Gordon is playing well, his playing style reminds me of Morgan. They both have some size and play-making ability. Morgan was really starting to be dangerous for San Francisco before he went down with an injury. Washington is excited to have him now. Morgan was a sixth-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. There is a decent chance that Gordon could be selected with a third-day pick.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:22 am

I understand that Josh Gordon may become a good WR but the Redskins should not be giving away draft picks for a WR that might be a contributor in the future

I could be wrong - I very much doubt that the Redskins are considering giving up draft picks for a WR - we shall see :lol:
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:26 am

Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote::shock: Why would a team, like the Redskins, give up draft picks for a player when there are better players available

Youth.
The Burress business is debatable. Though Plaxico definitely has the experience edge (obviously, since Josh has never played a down in the NFL), Gordon has more upside.

thanks - that confirms it :lol:

The Redskins have other priorities

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:34 am

SkinsJock wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Youth.

thanks - that confirms it :lol:

The Redskins have other priorities

Plus, there's this... while being arrested after passing out in a car that is loaded with... herb... is not the smartest of moves, it does not qualify as "Darwin Award-Stupid"...

OTOH, accidentally shooting yourself in the thigh with your own illegal hand gun absolutely qualifies for the Darwin Awards "didn't-quite-die-from-it" honorable mention category...

But, I agree... I don't know that we need to use a precious pick on a WR at this point.
Last edited by Countertrey on Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:53 am

I'd take Morgan over him anyday considering Plaxico is STUPID.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:34 am

SkinsJock wrote:I understand that Josh Gordon may become a good WR but the Redskins should not be giving away draft picks for a WR that might be a contributor in the future

But we give up draft picks EVERY single year for WRs who "might" be contributors in the future. I'm not saying the skins should draft Gordon. Character issues aside though, how is spending a 5th round pick on him any different than drafting Niles Paul in the 5th round or Aldrick Robinson in the 6th?

With any of those guys you're giving away a draft pick for a player who "might be a contributor in the future". The only difference is that Gordon is being selected in the supplemental draft.

The draft pick isn't the question IMHO. If the coaches think he can help the team, then go for it. If he's a real project player who will struggle to make the 53 this year, they're probably better off sticking with one of the current young players who can.

BTW I think that was a quad pull not a hammy yesterday. Much easier to bounce back from.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:36 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:I'd take Morgan over him anyday considering Plaxico is STUPID.

And old. What's the point?

Return to General Manager's Office