Josh Gordon

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:40 pm

SkinsJock wrote::shock: Why would a team, like the Redskins, give up draft picks for a player when there are better players available

Plaxico Burress is a better WR than Josh Gordon

I heard the same thing yesterday on SiriusXM NFL Radio yesterday. Said why take a flyer when you can get a proven product who can get you 9-11 TDs this year. Plax will be an option for any team who has a training camp injury and is a contender for the playoffs. Mark my words.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:47 pm

riggofan wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:I'd take Morgan over him anyday considering Plaxico is STUPID.

And old. What's the point?

:!:

+1
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Was just reported on SiriusXM NFL Radio that RG3 is pushing the Redskins to draft this kid. Who knows if it's legit or not but the rumor is out there and now being advertised.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:48 pm

frankcal20 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote::shock: Why would a team, like the Redskins, give up draft picks for a player when there are better players available

I heard the same thing yesterday on SiriusXM NFL Radio yesterday. Said why take a flyer when you can get a proven product who can get you 9-11 TDs this year. Plax will be an option for any team who has a training camp injury and is a contender for the playoffs. Mark my words.

I get the argument, but seems like kind of a moot point. Spending a draft pick on Josh Gordon doesn't prevent the Skins from signing Plaxico Burress if they wanted to, does it?

I don't really see what Plax has to do with the decision. You could kind of say the same thing about any of the Skins current WRs. Why keep Anthony Armstrong/Brandon Banks/Terrence Austin around when Plax can get you 9-11 TDs this year?

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:52 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Was just reported on SiriusXM NFL Radio that RG3 is pushing the Redskins to draft this kid. Who knows if it's legit or not but the rumor is out there and now being advertised.

He must be desperate. :)

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:42 pm

riggofan wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:

I get the argument, but seems like kind of a moot point. Spending a draft pick on Josh Gordon doesn't prevent the Skins from signing Plaxico Burress if they wanted to, does it?

I don't really see what Plax has to do with the decision. You could kind of say the same thing about any of the Skins current WRs. Why keep Anthony Armstrong/Brandon Banks/Terrence Austin around when Plax can get you 9-11 TDs this year?

I don't think Banks or Austin make the team this year due to the guys we brought in. Banks would still be on the roster if the kickoff rules were like before but now, it limits his value.

It's really going to come down to how much to me the coaching staff likes the other guys and if they feel this guy can be an upgrade. Also, you have to consider what we're giving up in next years draft position wise. There's a lot that goes into this and you want to make sure you get it right. My biggest concern is if the guy cracks the lineup this year. I expect to see the following WR's playing in 2012:

1 - Garcon
2 - Hankerson
3 - Moss
4 - Morgan
5 - Armstong
6 - Robinson

These are the guys I think will make the squad. Due to the flexibility of Davis and his ability to line up wide, I don't forsee us keeping 7 WR's this year. I do think we'll have only 3 TE's

1. Davis
2. Cooley
3. Paul

In all honesty, I just don't think we're willing to assume the risk and get rid of guys the coaches have seen and spoke highly of. Of course guys like Armstrong & Robinson are on the ledge, I don't think, given our lack of draft picks in the coming years will allow us the luxury to spend a pick on a guy who hasn't played in a few seasons and mind you, just tweaked his hammy at his pro-day and has a history of making bad decisions.

But, with that being said, if the coaches feel its the best move for the team then I'm going to run with it b/c they have access to way more information than any of us. I would just hope we don't have to pay too much to get him. That way if it doesn't pan out, we aren't left with Egg on our face.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:05 pm

The point is this - the Redskins have other priories than giving up a draft pick for a WR who might become a good NFL WR

I don't like Plaxico Burress - IF a franchise was in dire need (IMHO we are NOT) why add this kid when you can add Burress and not give up picks

this kid might show that he's grown up but he's certainly shown that he can make bad choices

the Redskins are not taking a chance with this kid :D
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:30 pm

frankcal20 wrote:Was just reported on SiriusXM NFL Radio that RG3 is pushing the Redskins to draft this kid. Who knows if it's legit or not but the rumor is out there and now being advertised.

Your right. It is out there. This report is coming from Jason La Canfora.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... sh-gordon/

Below is an Hogshaven interview with RGIII concerning Gordon. Hogshaven has tweeted La Canfora to say that haven't reached the conclusion that he has from their interview with RGIII.

What are your thought's on Josh Gordon's Pro Day?

I think he's focused and ready to go at his Pro Day. I texted him yesterday and he didn't hit me back so that means he's getting ready to gear up and show his talents. I definitely wish the best for him.
(for some reason I had my daily brain fart at this very moment)

Do you plan to throw at his Pro Day? (as I try and reach my arm through my phone land line to pull my words back.)

Let me see. His Pro Day is today and I'm in L.A....so....
(The response 99% of America would have said in his shoes: "That's a clown question, bro?")

My bad. I got my dates mixed up there. How do you think he'll translate to the NFL given his short amount of film and the issues he's had?

I mean, it's up to him. Whether he wants to make it or not. I can't say whether he's going to be successful or not be successful. It's just to him and what he wants to do to leave his legacy.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2012/7/10/3148 ... #storyjump

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:55 pm

this is amazing :shock:

why does anyone think the Redskins are giving up a draft pick for this kid

there are other areas of concern here AND there are enough guys trying out for the 6 or 7 slots already - I don't see the point
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:21 pm

RG3 came out and said he is NOT advocating for the Redskins to sign this guy.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:32 am

frankcal20 wrote:It's really going to come down to how much to me the coaching staff likes the other guys and if they feel this guy can be an upgrade. Also, you have to consider what we're giving up in next years draft position wise. There's a lot that goes into this and you want to make sure you get it right.

Well thought out post. I completely agree. Will be interesting to see what happens today.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:45 am

SkinsJock wrote:this is amazing :shock:

why does anyone think the Redskins are giving up a draft pick for this kid

there are other areas of concern here AND there are enough guys trying out for the 6 or 7 slots already - I don't see the point

I have no idea if the Redskins will give up a pick for this kid. Its just been in the football news this week, so people are discussing it. Honestly, it seems like most people posting on here would be surprised if the Skins did make a move, given their draft pick situation.

Just curious, SkinsJock, if we're talking about a 4th or 5th round pick next year (and assuming the coaching staff thinks Gordon is worth that), what areas on the team would you use that pick for ahead of a WR? Probably corner/safety? I would agree, just not sure how much of an upgrade you can expect there with a 4/5 pick.

It remains to be seen how Garcon, Morgan and Hankerson do this year. Moss isn't getting any younger. Personally, I still see WR as a weakness on the team.

Hog

Postby Mississippiskinsfan2 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:28 am

Well if they do get him that would tell us what think about the WR that are on the team.....

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Just went to the Browns with a 2nd round pick. Would say that he's a good fit there as they have a HUGE need for WR.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:35 pm

2d round pick! Wow. I think the Browns just decided there was no way they were letting the Skins beat them to another player. :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Return to General Manager's Office