Rumour Mill: Hankerson & Cooley

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:01 am

This article today on Hankerson is titled "Hankerson: I'm Ready", but reading it I'm not sure it really says whether he is ready to play or not.

Leonard Hankerson said his recovery from hip surgery remains on target and that he’s anxiously awaiting his return to the field next week at Redskins Park.

“Right now, I’m feeling pretty good,” the second-year receiver said at Brian Orakpo’s youth football camp in Fairfax. “I’ve been in the training room this whole off-season, working out, working on my hip, doing little things to get me prepared for next Wednesday.”

Veterans report to Ashburn on Wednesday; the first practice of training camp is Thursday.

“I can’t wait to get out there and get going and see how it goes for me,” added Hankerson, who, if healthy, could be another weapon for an improved receiving corps that includes veterans Pierre Garcon, Josh Morgan and Santana Moss.

Kind of sounds like he won't know until next week if he is ready or not.

Full article is here:
http://www.csnwashington.com/football-w ... eedID=6458

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:16 am

Leonard Hankerson said his recovery from hip surgery remains on target and that he’s anxiously awaiting his return to the field next week at Redskins Park.

That article is casting serious doubt on RIC's source. I dunno man... I love me some RIC but I'm hoping his source is dead wrong.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:31 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:That is it. His knee has been reported by several sources as a non issue so far and the groin was only a problem during the first OTA. I saw no mention of a hamstring issue (except here).

Cooley's Hammy reported by CBSsports.com during the Mini-Camp:

Cooley hurts hamstring: Redskins tight end Chris Cooley joined the injury list on Wednesday with what coach Mike Shanahan called a "slight" hamstring that wouldn't have sidelined him again if the Redskins were going to practice on Thursday. Cooley is now dealing with knee, groin and hamstring issues heading into training camp.
(Updated 06/14/2012)

John Keim, Washington Examiner, mentions the hammy:

Tight end Chris Cooley did not participate in the final practice of minicamp (Redskins coach Mike Shanahan called off the Thursday practice) because of a “slight hamstring” Shanahan said. Earlier in OTAs Cooley dealt with a slight groin issue. But Shanahan said the one positive is that Cooley’s knee continues to show no signs of swelling. Nor has he needed to have any fluid drained.

“Anytime you go full speed, especially running routes, it’s not unusual for guys to have a little setback here and there, but this is very minor,” Shanahan said.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/pl ... ris-cooley

http://washingtonexaminer.com/article/727891

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:15 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I dunno man... I love me some RIC but I'm hoping his source is dead wrong.

For the record, I agree with you. I take no pleasure in learning of lingering injuries among out players.

I cautioned people to take these news with a grain of salt and just keep track of these two situations.

Me? I have a -suspicion- that there is an element of truth on the story. No, I have not had a chance to corroborate the story independently.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:57 pm

^I do not believe for one minute, that Cooley won't be on that field for the first training camp practice. I agree with RiC, that there might be some ounce of truth about Cooley.

Will nagging injuries slow him down like in the OTAs and Mini-Camp? Believing that is not out of the blue. If it was happening without full pads, it could certainly keep happening in hotter weather with full pads.

Will his salary come into play? I am sure that Mike will treat Cooley with dignity with the salary issue. If he doesn't want to pay a 2nd string TE that kind of money, I bet that Shanny will sit face to face and tell him and give him his options.

Cooley said that he would take a pay cut, so I do not think that pay is an issue.

Cooley will be on the field for training camp and give everything he has to make this team. I think that we can bank on that happening.

Hankerson? I think everybody, including those who know best, don't know yet.
Last edited by Red_One43 on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:00 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:Why so many on here are infatuated with Cooley is beyond me. He was a glimmer of hope in what could be considered this teams darkest days. (also see: Lavar Arrington).

Only an outsider wouldn't be able to comprehend the love people have for Cooley.[/quote]

You mad bro?

If you are calling me an outsider you'd better do it in smack. If not, feel free to confess your man love for an unproductive injury prone fan lollipop here.

Either way, I am kinda tired of you taking cheap shots.

I don't mind going against the grain on this topic, I call it how I see it and I am calling you out as well. See you in smack ;)
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:26 am

ATX_Skins wrote:If you are calling me an outsider you'd better do it in smack. If not, feel free to confess your man love for an unproductive injury prone fan lollipop here.

Like I said, only an outsider wouldn't be able to comprehend how the fan base feels about Chris Cooley.

An outsider would talk about one of the only bright spots of this franchise during it's darkest hours in the manner that you have.

A fan can believe that he's in the twilight of his career and that it may be time to move on.

There are no cheapshots, it is what it is. What's funny is, you've taken this extreme stance based off of a rumor and now you feel like you have to blindly defend it. :lol:
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:41 am

ATX_Skins wrote:feel free to confess your man love for an unproductive injury prone fan lollipop here.

I'll confess my man-love for Cooley. I might even give you injury prone, though that's a stretch, as he's had only two injuries in his career that have kept him off the field (granted, they have been recent). But unproductive? :roll: You just lost any credibility your argument had.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:09 am

Deadskins wrote:I'll confess my man-love for Cooley. I might even give you injury prone, though that's a stretch, as he's had only two injuries in his career that have kept him off the field (granted, they have been recent).

in the month of July I think I've agreed with DS about 95% of the time :shock:

can someone just punch me to make sure i'm really awake!?!? :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:11 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:in the month of July I think I've agreed with DS about 95% of the time :shock:

can someone just punch me to make sure i'm really awake!?!? :lol:

:thump:
That would explain why the percentage is so low. :lol:

Hail to the Redskins!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:08 pm

Deadskins wrote:
ATX_Skins wrote:feel free to confess your man love for an unproductive injury prone fan lollipop here.

I'll confess my man-love for Cooley. I might even give you injury prone, though that's a stretch, as he's had only two injuries in his career that have kept him off the field (granted, they have been recent). But unproductive? :roll: You just lost any credibility your argument had.

summed it up pretty damn well right thurr!!

as for Hanktime- I get the feeling that HE thinks he has done everything to prepare himself for next week and BELIEVES he is ready. Now its up to the coaches and trainers to judge his rehabilitation taking into consideration of further injury to decide if he is infact 100% READY. until next week as Red1 has said no one knows.

anything else?
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:43 pm

Tarik El-Bashir, Redskins Insider, csnwashingotn.com:

‘Captain Chaos’ set for a comeback?

Chris Cooley says the problematic left knee that cut short his season a year ago is completely healthy. But the 30-year-old fan favorite costs $6.23 million against the salary cap and will face stiff competition from converted wide receiver Niles Paul for playing time behind starter Fred Davis. To beat out Paul, Cooley must prove that he’s regained his (modest) speed and is the better blocker.

Tarik definitely hasn't heard any rumors that Cooley won't be on that field on the first day of training camp. Cooley will be on that field on the first day.

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-w ... edID=10316

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:41 pm

Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:56 pm

I think Davis is taking over and not looking back. What we saw from Cooley even when he was relatively healthy during either of the last two seasons was not great. Personally I think the concussion has taken the wind out of his sails, something I can't blame him for. We'd probably have been best off trading him 2 years ago but it's obviously too late now. Worth keeping on the roster to see if he can revive his career, but again I have little expectation that he will.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:21 pm

With Davis only signing a one year deal, I don't see him as taking over just yet. I think we have to wait and see how this season plays out.

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football