Nine months later, Tim Hightower not concerned about his kne

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Nine months later, Tim Hightower not concerned about his kne

Postby 1niksder » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:33 pm

Nine months later, Tim Hightower not concerned about his knee

Redskins running back Tim Hightower started five games last season before he was lost for the season with a torn ACL on October 23. With nine months of rehab behind him, Hightower says he has no concerns.

“I feel good,” Hightower told the Washington Post. “I’ve got work to do, but I feel better. It feels good to finally be out there on the field and I’m not watching. . . . I have confidence. I had confidence when I was laying up in the hospital. But I think it’ll get better. It’ll get better with time and it’ll get better with training camp. I’m not worried about it.”

Even if he’s 100 percent healthy, Hightower won’t necessarily be back in the starting lineup when the season starts. When Hightower went down, two rookies — Roy Helu and Evan Royster — filled in for him, and both of them were more effective than he was. Hightower, however, said he’s less concerned about who the No. 1 running back is than about being the best running back he can be.

“Whether that’s starting . . . it doesn’t matter,” Hightower said. “I don’t look at all the stats and all that stuff. All I know is, I want to be the best and I want to be a part of the best. We have a lot of depth at a very good position. We’ll determine that. Our play will determine that and how we push each other is going to determine that. I don’t think anyone has won a job the first day. I don’t think anyone has lost a job the first day. I think we’ve all got to push each other and we’ve all got to make each other better. Come that first game, the best man will be on the field.”

We don’t yet know if Hightower will be the best man. But he says that if he’s not, it won’t be because of his knee.
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

CKRGiii
Posts: 4677
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Well if he's good what's all this other talk about who's it and what's it?
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:09 am

Am I the only one that wants Hightower's role to be primarily as a backup? I don't want him taking significant time from RH or EV. I just feel they are younger, but more importantly better.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

CKRGiii
Posts: 4677
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:31 pm

I'm with you.. third down back duties is bout all I see, should he even make the team.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:41 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:Am I the only one that wants Hightower's role to be primarily as a backup? I don't want him taking significant time from RH or EV. I just feel they are younger, but more importantly better.


Younger only holds weight when we're referring to a RB in his 30's... HT is 26, and has low mileage for a RB. These guys aren't that far apart in age by any stretch of the imagination. And what makes Helu or Royster better? HT is the most complete back of the three, at least at this point in their careers. If HT can come back 100%, he's our best option.


Helu has durability concerns. Royster lacks breakaway speed but runs pretty tough. And I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a veteran back there protecting RGIII, especially if the differences in capabilities aren't that discernible.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

CKRGiii
Posts: 4677
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 pm

Good points right thur... I was glad he resigned but I don't want to not see more of Helu and Royster. Evan may lack the fabled "breakaway speed" but that didn't stop him from putting up over a hundred yards every START, as well as a 5.9 ypc average.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:06 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:Good points right thur... I was glad he resigned but I don't want to not see more of Helu and Royster. Evan may lack the fabled "breakaway speed" but that didn't stop him from putting up over a hundred yards every START, as well as a 5.9 ypc average.



Both Helu and Roy ran great. Both Helu and Roy have deficiences, as does HT. But if we're judging them when completely healthy, HT is the best OVERALL back. The most important thing being blitz pickup as it pertains to RGIII.

We face Pitt, Baltimore, Cincy, Dallas, Philly, and NY... That's just off the top of my head. If HT is 100%, I want him back there, backing up our questionable offensive line. If HT isn't 100%, I want the next best passblocking RB we have in there.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

CKRGiii
Posts: 4677
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Ya I hear that.. that's why third down back - if healthy would be my choice for HT. On 2nd down and five a play action pass to Helu would be my choice then to HT. His blocking skills won't help him snag the catch and get the first know what I mean?
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:07 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:Ya I hear that.. that's why third down back - if healthy would be my choice for HT. On 2nd down and five a play action pass to Helu would be my choice then to HT. His blocking skills won't help him snag the catch and get the first know what I mean?


You say that as if HT can't catch out the backfield. The point is that he can do it all and at a higher level, if he's 100%.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

#33
Posts: 4084
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:44 am

Postby skinsfan#33 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:24 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
cowboykillerzRED wrote:Ya I hear that.. that's why third down back - if healthy would be my choice for HT. On 2nd down and five a play action pass to Helu would be my choice then to HT. His blocking skills won't help him snag the catch and get the first know what I mean?


You say that as if HT can't catch out the backfield. The point is that he can do it all and at a higher level, if he's 100%.

Other n pass pro, that is the only thing HT did better than RH and ER. Helu got better game by game at pass pro. I think the running and receiving skills that you give up by having Ht on the field doesn't out way the better blocking skills he has over Helu.

My preference is ER as the 1st and second down back with RH as the third down back. I would have HY inactive until one of the other two gets hurt.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:15 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
cowboykillerzRED wrote:Ya I hear that.. that's why third down back - if healthy would be my choice for HT. On 2nd down and five a play action pass to Helu would be my choice then to HT. His blocking skills won't help him snag the catch and get the first know what I mean?


You say that as if HT can't catch out the backfield. The point is that he can do it all and at a higher level, if he's 100%.

Other n pass pro, that is the only thing HT did better than RH and ER. Helu got better game by game at pass pro. I think the running and receiving skills that you give up by having Ht on the field doesn't out way the better blocking skills he has over Helu.

My preference is ER as the 1st and second down back with RH as the third down back. I would have HY inactive until one of the other two gets hurt.


HT's pass protection is what puts him at #1. The bigger picture is that we have a rookie QB. That makes HT even more valuable. His pass catching skills are good enough.

I understand what your preference is. But I'm sure you're preference is to keep RGIIi clean too. Helu has yet to prove reliable. Maybe he'll prove it during the preseason.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

**********
User avatar
Posts: 16744
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:45 pm
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:59 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
cowboykillerzRED wrote:Good points right thur... I was glad he resigned but I don't want to not see more of Helu and Royster. Evan may lack the fabled "breakaway speed" but that didn't stop him from putting up over a hundred yards every START, as well as a 5.9 ypc average.



Both Helu and Roy ran great. Both Helu and Roy have deficiences, as does HT. But if we're judging them when completely healthy, HT is the best OVERALL back. The most important thing being blitz pickup as it pertains to RGIII.

We face Pitt, Baltimore, Cincy, Dallas, Philly, and NY... That's just off the top of my head. If HT is 100%, I want him back there, backing up our questionable offensive line. If HT isn't 100%, I want the next best passblocking RB we have in there.


HT or Helu good either be the starter, Royster is a lock as the "change of pace" guy with not much dropoff.

HT and Helu give me doubts of making it sixteen games, but combined the team should be OK. Looking back at all the years they CP and ONLY CP I not too worried about who starts and is the backup. We have backups that we see enter a game and not need another shot of (fill in your fav beverage).
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

#14
Posts: 4311
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:50 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Postby yupchagee » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:19 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
cowboykillerzRED wrote:Ya I hear that.. that's why third down back - if healthy would be my choice for HT. On 2nd down and five a play action pass to Helu would be my choice then to HT. His blocking skills won't help him snag the catch and get the first know what I mean?


You say that as if HT can't catch out the backfield. The point is that he can do it all and at a higher level, if he's 100%.

Other n pass pro, that is the only thing HT did better than RH and ER. Helu got better game by game at pass pro. I think the running and receiving skills that you give up by having Ht on the field doesn't out way the better blocking skills he has over Helu.

My preference is ER as the 1st and second down back with RH as the third down back. I would have HY inactive until one of the other two gets hurt.


Right. Remember he played in a run 1st O at Nebraska. Paul did a lot more blocking in run support that Helu did in pass pro.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football