Olympics Thread

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
Hog

Postby ACW » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:24 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:
ACW wrote:
SouthLondonRedskin wrote:It's the National Health Service to be accurate, but you're close enough.

One day soon they'll have something like it in your country and all human beings can be treated as such by getting essential health care free of charge and worry regardless of class, race or religion.

That's if you can slice a couple of $billion off your defence budget to cover it, but then I'm sure you have enough aircraft carriers and nuclear missles to be getting on with for now so no worries there, eh....?

Opps, was that a can of worms I just knocked over!!!!

8-[
Hooray for long lines!

OK, but I'm not sure what your Coke habit has got to do with anything...?

:hmm:
:lol:

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:55 am

I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the swimming finals last night. Spent the whole day at the Olympic Park, taking in the atmosphere and getting a good look at all those brand new arenas and stadia that have been built on what was a derelict, run down, poisoned and desperate piece of land in the east of London.

I have to say that, in contrast to the worries and gripes of all the cynics, I was completely blown away by every aspect of the experience. The park is magnificent and every venue looks a picture. The aquatics centre, even with its temporary seating, looks and sounds magnificent when 17,000 spectators are inside. Certainly, the TV sound mix doesn't do any justice to the atmosphere that is created inside, particularly when a Brit is competing.

I have to say that we really have pulled off a miracle in putting together the infrastructure in that area, in contrast to previous games which have taken place miles from the centre of whichever city they purported to represent.

And two other things that stood out for me, both of which would be expected to be weaknesses in the UK. Firstly, the transport - it worked! It's only my personal experience, but there were no delays, crowds, crushes, panics and disasters. Everything worked smoothly, promptly and efficiently.

Secondly, the volunteers. In a nation which generally prefers to sit back and let somebody else get on with it, we have managed to assemble a volunteer force that knows their jobs, are helpful, knowledgeable, courteous and enthusiastic. They are absolutely fantastic.

There's a long way to go to the end of the games, and plenty of scope for mishaps, but I really do think this is an achievement to put the Great back into Britain :-)

Did you manage to get any tickets South London Redskin?
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:25 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the swimming finals last night. Spent the whole day at the Olympic Park, taking in the atmosphere and getting a good look at all those brand new arenas and stadia that have been built on what was a derelict, run down, poisoned and desperate piece of land in the east of London.

I have to say that, in contrast to the worries and gripes of all the cynics, I was completely blown away by every aspect of the experience. The park is magnificent and every venue looks a picture. The aquatics centre, even with its temporary seating, looks and sounds magnificent when 17,000 spectators are inside. Certainly, the TV sound mix doesn't do any justice to the atmosphere that is created inside, particularly when a Brit is competing.

I have to say that we really have pulled off a miracle in putting together the infrastructure in that area, in contrast to previous games which have taken place miles from the centre of whichever city they purported to represent.

And two other things that stood out for me, both of which would be expected to be weaknesses in the UK. Firstly, the transport - it worked! It's only my personal experience, but there were no delays, crowds, crushes, panics and disasters. Everything worked smoothly, promptly and efficiently.

Secondly, the volunteers. In a nation which generally prefers to sit back and let somebody else get on with it, we have managed to assemble a volunteer force that knows their jobs, are helpful, knowledgeable, courteous and enthusiastic. They are absolutely fantastic.

There's a long way to go to the end of the games, and plenty of scope for mishaps, but I really do think this is an achievement to put the Great back into Britain :-)

Did you manage to get any tickets South London Redskin?

I know you enjoyed the 100m IM relay there, UK. :razz:

Seriously though, I totally understand your post. When the Olymics were in Atlanta, it was a totally great experience.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:33 am

Nah mate, applied for a few things (boxing, basketball, athletics) but didn't get a sniff.

Glad you got along to something though. I always felt this would be a good games, its just that people are so cynical over here about things like this cos we get let down regularly by the powers that be with transport and stuff. But when it comes to putting on an International show, surprise surprise, no bother!

BTW, security has been stepped up BIG time. I drove today from my yard to Greenwich via Lewisham and there was Old Bill everywhere! I saw no less than 8 cars pulled over and checked. Loads of Police dogs by all the stations, and they aint sniffing for drugs!
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:18 am

Lol. Police sniffer dogs in Lewisham certainly isn't rare!

Security is what you'd expect it to be, but it's great that so much security is being provided by our armed forces. I'd much rather see our troops at the front gate than some fat sweaty former bouncer from Group 4!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:30 pm

Dang I was actually rooting for the brits to take charge and hold off China for the gold in syncro diving.. that Daley guy seems to be holding up his end but I don't see gold.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:32 pm

Correction- no medal.
It's up to Mexico, and USA to keep another gold from going to China
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:51 am

Our boys screwed up in the diving. It happens. It's about time the home team won it's first gold though - we've had a few disappointments so far.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:24 am

Arise, Sir Bradley Wiggins. There are some sports that we Brits really are rubbish at, but riding bikes isn't one of them. Tour de France winner and Olympic gold medalist in the same year - briliant.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:55 am

Did he take gold? Saw him doing well earlier

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:56 am

Olympics are awesome.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:28 pm

langleyparkjoe wrote:Olympics are awesome.
I agree for the most part... but what's with gymnastics limiting each team to only 2 competitors in the individual all around? Seems you'd actually want the best athletes to be competing... if 3 or 4 happen to be from one country... whatever... it just makes the sport seem kind of candy assed.

I've never much cared for any sport where I am told by some anonymous judge who has won...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:18 pm

Countertrey wrote:
langleyparkjoe wrote:Olympics are awesome.
I agree for the most part... but what's with gymnastics limiting each team to only 2 competitors in the individual all around? Seems you'd actually want the best athletes to be competing... if 3 or 4 happen to be from one country... whatever... it just makes the sport seem kind of candy assed.

I've never much cared for any sport where I am told by some anonymous judge who has won...

I agree that the highlighted portion makes the sport candy assed. Infuriating and often impossible to follow what they judges are looking at.

The taking top 2 from each country's team for the all around competition isn't candy assed. First off, if you've got a problem with the rule cause you finished 3rd in your country's quals, tough. You shoulda finished in the top 2, it isn't like this rule was spruing on them at the last minute. Win and you're in. Secondly, if I wanted to watch 5 americans and 5 russians compete, I'd watch the damn team competition. I want to see Surinam's top 2 go for the gold just like I wanna see Gabby Douglas. I mean the olympics is about, in part, watching the world compete, right? Third, and this ain't a justification, just pointing this out, don't most sports do this? Baseball, hockey, soccer/futbol, football and basketball all take winners of their respective divisions, regardless of record. Same idea. Except here, you can't have a wild card sport or 2.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:20 pm

cowboykillerzRED wrote:Did he take gold? Saw him doing well earlier

Indeed he did, and it was never really in doubt. A great sportsman.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:54 am

.. correction.. women's volleyball is awesome !!!!
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Return to The Lounge