Lichtensteiger's knee scoped - What Shape is the O Line in?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Lichtensteiger's knee scoped - What Shape is the O Line in?

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:45 pm

Redskins guard Kory Lichtensteiger had a second surgical procedure performed on his right knee Monday and could miss the remainder of the preseason, Coach Mike Shanahan said.

Lichtensteiger’s injury -- he had his knee scoped to remove loose particles -- leaves a thin Redskins’ offensive line even thinner. The unit is already without tackle Jammal Brown, who is on the physically unable to perform list due to a problematic hip. Brown is scheduled to be examined by his personal doctor Tuesday in New York.

“We just thought it would be smart to go in and clear those particles out of the cartilage rather than wait a week or two to see if it improved,” Shanahan said of Lichtensteiger. “The good part about it is the ACL is fine, the MCL is fine. …I’ve waited too many times for a week to two weeks, then all of a sudden you go in there and the guy can’t play. So why not do it right now, make sure it’s okay?

Shanahan said it’s possible Lichtensteiger could return for the third preseason game but insisted that he won’t be rushed.

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandle ... h-acl.html

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:48 pm

Bring on Adam Gettis, he has been getting good reviews in camp.

Johnn Keim:
The more I see of Adam Gettis the more I like him. When he’ll be ready to play I have no idea. But some guys are technicians and he’s one. Always seems to have a good base. In the one-on-ones he did let Doug Worthington move him back. But he did a good job vs. Adam Carriker and then Kedric Golston and finally Kentwan Balmer. Why? Because Gettis keeps a low base. Don’t go crazy on him just yet, but know that he’s off to a solid start.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins- ... le/2503434

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:59 pm

Red_One43 wrote:Bring on Adam Gettis, he has been getting good reviews in camp.

Johnn Keim:
The more I see of Adam Gettis the more I like him. When he’ll be ready to play I have no idea. But some guys are technicians and he’s one. Always seems to have a good base. In the one-on-ones he did let Doug Worthington move him back. But he did a good job vs. Adam Carriker and then Kedric Golston and finally Kentwan Balmer. Why? Because Gettis keeps a low base. Don’t go crazy on him just yet, but know that he’s off to a solid start.

Shanny has already been quoted as saying "Gettis is someone that can help this team"
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

goskins

Postby GoSkins » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:17 pm

1niksder wrote:

Johnn Keim:

Shanny has already been quoted as saying "Gettis is someone that can help this team"

Looks like he'll have his chance.

Hog

Re: Lichtensteiger's knee scoped - What Shape is the O Line

Postby the poster » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:26 pm

Red_One43 wrote:Re: Lichtensteiger's knee scoped - What Shape is the O Line in?

the answer to that is simple - bad. look I saw it myself, in person, on Saturday. they were caving on every play, especially whoever was playing center and left guard.

if you've got a sieve in the trenches, you don't have a football team.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:28 pm

Johnn Keim:

Leribeus & Mo Hurt got his reps today though. But, I like Gettis too. Maybe they envision him as a RG
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:44 pm

^Redskins draft right guard

Looks like you are right that they are looking at him as a RG.

The Redskins took another step to shore up the offensive line Saturday by selecting Iowa right guard Adam Gettis in the fifth round.

Gettis (6’2”, 193 at the combine) played left and right guard at Iowa where he earned the Hayden Fry “Extra Heartbeat” Award in 2011.

“That’s what football is all about,” Gettis said. “Getting after it, working hard, putting people on the ground and getting up and doing it again.”

This is the first time since 2000 that the Redskins have spent two picks in the first five rounds on offensive linemen. He joins left guard Josh LeRibeus, who was taken in the third round Friday out of SMU.

Unlike LeRibeus, who came from a man-blocking scheme, Gettis said he is familiar with the Redskins zone-blocking.

“That fits perfect,” said the 141st pick. “That’s what we do at Iowa. It could be an easy transition.”

It might be tough keeping him on the bench though. He can play left guard. We might see the shift if he keeps showing that he is readsy to play.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:46 pm

All three are listed as guards.. interesting camp battles I'm sure
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Black came to Houston as an unrestricted free agent from Kansas City. He never fit in with what the Texans were doing up front and ended the season as the fourth tackle.

When I saw that Black played for the Texans, another ZBS team and of course, runs basically the same offense, I wondered why Black didn't make it. I recognize that the "never fit" comment is from the media, but this statement doesn't give us fans any hope that this guy is going to be anything but a camp body.

He was waived by the Texas, injured and subsequently had back surgery, according to Wikipedia. He has been a journeyman ever since. One question, why do teams keep signing him? Redskins are his 5th team. Must have a load of P-O-T-E-N-T-I-A-L.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/arti ... 773732.php

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:17 pm

After Monday’s practice, Shanahan was asked whether the Redskins will look to sign more veteran linemen because of the mounting injuries.

“No, those guys aren’t out there,” he said. If they were out there and we thought somebody was better than the people we had, we would have tried to get those players.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/red ... eport-730/

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:15 pm

I'm kind of excited that the young guys will get a lot of reps and preseason gametime to gel with each other. I'd love to have a young, hungry O-line that works like a well oiled machine for many years to come.

Trying to see the silver lining here.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:58 am

I'd just like to see a good offensive line. If they're all just out of kindergarten, or an old folks home, I just don't care. It would be nice to go into a season without having any worries about the o-line for once, but here we go again. We went 20 years without a QB - how much longer are we going to have to wait for an o-line?

Trying to see silver lining too, but just keep finding huge black thunderclouds.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:07 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:I'd just like to see a good offensive line. If they're all just out of kindergarten, or an old folks home, I just don't care. It would be nice to go into a season without having any worries about the o-line for once, but here we go again. We went 20 years without a QB - how much longer are we going to have to wait for an o-line?

Trying to see silver lining too, but just keep finding huge black thunderclouds.

I know what you're saying man, especially because we neglected the offensive line for years and years.

If it makes you feel any better though, the Giants did win the Super Bowl with a terrible line last year and reportedly aren't in any better shape this year. Guys are just going to have to step up and play with the best offensive line we can put together.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:11 pm

Hooligan wrote:I'm kind of excited that the young guys will get a lot of reps and preseason gametime to gel with each other. I'd love to have a young, hungry O-line that works like a well oiled machine for many years to come.

Trying to see the silver lining here.

Yeah, that's all we've got at this point. THough I agree, I'm happy to see if we've got anything in the cupboard.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:12 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:I'd just like to see a good offensive line. If they're all just out of kindergarten, or an old folks home, I just don't care. It would be nice to go into a season without having any worries about the o-line for once, but here we go again. We went 20 years without a QB - how much longer are we going to have to wait for an o-line?

End of October.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football