Calling all Computer GEEKS....

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Calling all Computer GEEKS....

Postby tribeofjudah » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:00 pm

I'm not super computer savvy but I know enough to get by. Does anyone here KNOW if Ubuntu Linux is "better" than Windows OS...???

I know Ubuntu is free and public, so that part is already better. BUT give me other reasons why I should utilize Ubuntu in my computer lab...???

Compatibility? Easy set up?

Will I be sorry? Will I be satisfied.......?

Any insight you may have will be helpful.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:16 pm

Your best bet is to go with windows, just because that's what 99.9% of software is written for.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:36 am

You can always install windows to be safe and run Ubuntu in a VM. Once you've tinkered with it and explored it, make a decision as to whether or not you can have it as your primary OS.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:55 pm

For the main OSes out there, there is no such thing as "better" or "worse" unless you are talking about your needs and how best to meet them.

You say "computer lab"; does that mean you are providing support for a lab full of machines? What are they being used for? Do the people using them need particular programs (e.g., MS Office)? There is replacement software in Linux but it's not for everybody.

I agree with CLL. Run Ubuntu on your machine using either a live CD or in a VM. See what you think. If you are considering this for multiple machines, know that you will have to learn how to use a command line and do some things that are not set up for you by default. You'll be doing a lot of googling and hanging around support forums. (Fortunately, Ubuntu has some of the best forums for friendly help.)
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

tribe

Postby tribeofjudah » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:58 pm

Thank you all for the replies.

I'm thinking about using a company to set up an Internet Cafe/computer lab in the Philippines. Their package includes all hardware but they will use Ubuntu. If I wish, I can purchase Windows and several licenses.

Just doing my homework and looking at all the angles....

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:34 pm

This conversation is way to sexually explicit for me, I'm outta here.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:52 pm

Tough choice. You say you are not computer savvy, so that says: "Windows". DEverybody uses it, so you can find help easily.

If you are setting up a shop in the Phillipines, and you aren't close to the machines, I'd say use Windows again.

The sticky bit is that you say there is a package in Ubuntu that does everything you need.

Maybe a question: (1) How much will Microsoft charge for the licenses you need? (2) How much can you afford to pay a Linux expert in the Phillipines?(Ubuntu is a variety of Linux..a very good and free operating system)

tribe

Postby tribeofjudah » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:19 pm

Welch, like I said...I'm only considering it. Not fully sold as the need for Internet Cafe are slowly diminishing with the affordability of smart phones and laptops in R.P.

I plan on living abroad "part time" and coming back everyone now and again.

If you could lend me a few millions buckaroos....then I could...ahh never mind.

Yeah, Open Source, like Ubuntu/Linux is already set up in the "background" of many PCs......unbeknownst to many.

I was talking to a techie friend of mine about this.

I like Microsoft as I am very used to it.....needless to say THEY have a stronghold on the Industry.

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:14 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:Welch, like I said...I'm only considering it. Not fully sold as the need for Internet Cafe are slowly diminishing with the affordability of smart phones and laptops in R.P.

I plan on living abroad "part time" and coming back everyone now and again.

If you could lend me a few millions buckaroos....then I could...ahh never mind.

Yeah, Open Source, like Ubuntu/Linux is already set up in the "background" of many PCs......unbeknownst to many.

I was talking to a techie friend of mine about this.

I like Microsoft as I am very used to it.....needless to say THEY have a stronghold on the Industry.

Two contrasting experiences, ToJ:

(1) About 2009, wife and I spent two weeks on the Greek island of Samos, town of Karlovasi. (Unpaid advertising: Samos is a circle round a dead volcano. One main road starts at the airport, goes around, stops just past Karlovasi where the mountain cliffs were too tough for a road. Perfect place). I walked down to the center of the town, which had an internet cafe. It never seemed busy, however.

(2) About 2007, a tourist with foreign accent near Times Square asked me for the nearest internet cafe. Couldn't think of one. You don;t se them in the US anymore.

So...what is the market like in the Phillipino city you are thinking about? Might be different in different places.

tribe

Postby tribeofjudah » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:51 pm

Yeah, like I said, RP or Republic of Philippines is fast becoming tech-saturated with smartphones and cheap tablets/laptops/notebooks.

But in some provincial areas, there is still a need for Internet cafes. BUT then you wont likely make much money in the province.

The big cities like Cebu and Manila have abundant Net Cafes...so no need to build another.

Return to The Lounge