Portis retiring (making it official, anyway)

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Portis retiring (making it official, anyway)

Postby HarleyHog » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:01 pm

I guess Dan Snyder and CP will be making an appearance soon to officially announce Portis' retirement. He was an awesome workhorse until the cumulative damage finally slowed him too much to compete. I hope the FO is considering bringing him on board to work with our RB's. Clinton could block in protection as well as any back I can remember, and was always a threat running and receiving when fit. Sure would be nice if he could pass some of that along to the next generation.What do you guys think? Would he be an asset or distraction?

Thank you for your efforts, Clinton, and best of luck in whatever your future holds.

HTTR
8)
Everybody funny, now you funny too ...

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have." -Vince Lombardi

(BTW . . . we have RGIII now)

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:33 pm

"Clinton pockets straight"

- Clinton Portis
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:05 pm

That awkward moment when you realize nobody wants to sign you so you call it retirement.

I thought retirement was when you left your job and stopped working. Only in sports can you retire after being cut. In the real world that's called 'You're Fired."

Seriously though. Thanks CP. One of the best blocking backs ever. Could have been a great one if he stayed healthy and on a winning team.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:30 pm

The Hogster wrote:That awkward moment when you realize nobody wants to sign you so you call it retirement.

I thought retirement was when you left your job and stopped working. Only in sports can you retire after being cut. In the real world that's called 'You're Fired."

Seriously though. Thanks CP. One of the best blocking backs ever. Could have been a great one if he stayed healthy and on a winning team.

Wish he had never put on the extra weight and that we had simply played to his strengths. Even still ....

Portis rushed for over 1,500 yards in each of his first two seasons with the Broncos, averaging 5.5 yards per carry in that span. The latter is an NFL record for a running back's first two seasons.

In the 2004 season, he had to adjust to coach Joe Gibbs' style of running, which consists of mostly power running. He finished 2004 with 1,315 yards for a 3.8 yard rushing average. Portis bounced back in the 2005 season. Although Gibbs still ran a power style of football, he implemented more outside running plays into the Redskins rushing attack to better suit Portis' style of running. On a 14-yard run against the Philadelphia Eagles on January 1, 2006, he broke the Redskins' franchise record for the most rushing yards in a season with 1,516 yards. He thus became only the third runner in league history to reach 1,500 yards in three of his first four seasons.

Portis demonstrated his speed during the 2006 Redskins training camp, running a 4.26 second 40-yard dash. Shortly following that, on August 13, 2006, Portis suffered a partially dislocated shoulder in the first quarter of a Week 1 pre-season game after tackling Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Keiwan Ratliff following a Bengals interception. After the injury, Portis said: "I don't know why myself or any other player of my caliber should be playing in the preseason."

In 2008, Portis fell just short of what would have been his fourth 1500 yard rushing season in seven years, finishing with 1487 yards and an average of 4.3 yards per carry. His season was highlighted by a five week stretch in which Portis gained nearly 700 yards, ending in an October 26 victory over the Detroit Lions. During this span Clinton Portis joined O.J. Simpson as the only players in NFL history to rush for at least 120 yards in five consecutive games twice in a career.

~ wiki

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:14 pm

It's too bad things ended with a fizzle, but I'll always remember him fondly, along with the rest of the Skins during Gibbs' second tenure. He really carried this team.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby spenser » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:46 pm

Portis will always be a legendary redskin in my book. Played with toughness, and heart. Props to CP26.

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:40 am

Portis was one of my favorite Redskins.

He came here and did everything asked of him on Sunday, he gave 1000% and this ******* fanbase doesn't appreciate him still.

He got paid handsomely for it, but he essentially ruined his career by coming here but made the absolute best of a bad situation.

Thanks CP.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Postby 1niksder » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:46 am

Irn-Bru wrote:It's too bad things ended with a fizzle, but I'll always remember him fondly, along with the rest of the Skins during Gibbs' second tenure. He really carried this team.

+1
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

piglet

Postby northcarolinaredskin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:24 am

It may be a stretch for you all, but Clinton Portis is just about my favorite Redskin I have ever watched. That said, I am only 18 and was not around for the glory days. However, I will be here for the next set of glory days. Portis had the ability to be a great all-time running back. Too bad he had to be such a workhorse, wish he could have played with a decent qb and a couple tall, big recievers. Even among the great running backs who had their career cut short, Portis even among them could have been an all-time great. This man could do it all, much respect.

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:39 pm

Clinton did carry this team for a number of years. Thanks for the good times jerome sweets !
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:29 pm

NFL Career Rushing Yards per Game Leaders

Rank Player (age), + - HOFer, Bold - Active Y/G Years Teams

1. Jim Brown+ 104.3 1957-1965 cle
2. Barry Sanders+ 99.8 1989-1998 det
3. Terrell Davis 97.5 1995-2001 den
4. Adrian Peterson (26) 92.5 2007-2011 min
5. Eric Dickerson+ 90.8 1983-1993 4TM
6. Chris Johnson (26) 89.6 2008-2011 oti
7. Arian Foster (25) 88.5 2009-2011 htx
8. Walter Payton+ 88.0 1975-1987 chi
9. Clinton Portis 87.8 2002-2010 2TM

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:03 pm

Wow, u put it like THAT and he's better then my redskins bias-ness thought... Only .2 away from THE Walter Payton is a great accomplishment.

If only, if only... He shoulda coulda woulda been closer to the top of that list.

Thanks for all the memories and hard work, CP you da man! Hope to see ya on the staff- ASAP!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:19 pm

IMHO, CP was one of the top 3 RBs in Skins history, considering.

The fact that CP was able to rush for so many yards per game and yrds per carry is EXTREMELY impressive considering the fact he consistently ran against 8 man fronts --- which were mostly a by-product of the inept QBing of Jason Campbell and in earlier years Brunell.

If CP had even a mediocre QB (and perhaps OL, although the 07-08 OL was mediocre) during his tenure, he would be much more celebrated and, IMHO, potentially had HOF stats.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby SkinsHead56 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:28 pm

CP.......I'll forever remember your KO of Al Wilson on blitz pick-up. Thanks for all the memories "Kid Bro Sweets".
In memorium Sean Taylor 1983-2007 R.I.P.

Long live the Legend of "Meast".

Hog

Postby absinthe1023 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:33 pm

Sheriff Gonnagetcha was tough as nails and did all the dirty work without complaint. I do think he is underappreciated, mainly due to his ridiculous characters and off-the-wall style, which is bitterly ironic when you consider his work ethic.

I will always remember that 60+ yard TD run on his first carry as a Redskin against TB, right alongside his Sean Taylor tribute T-shirt which he revealed when he scored soon after Sean's death.

You were one of the best players at any position to ever put on a Washington Redskins uniform, CP, and you will continue to be missed.
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor

As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football