Gano Cut - Cundiff Signed/Cut - Kai Forbath Signed

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:49 am

THIS just in - this is a team game - all these guys areall very talented but they also ALL need players around them in order to succeed

Teams succeed because of players playing together not because of individual performances

Coaches & FOs have to decide who best suits their schemes and the other players they have - sometimes it works out and sometimes it does not

Thinking that a player that leaves a team and does well might have had the same success on the team he left is just STUPID - this shows no appreciation for the intricacies and intangibles of this game

I'm not a blind homer (as many think) about Mike & Bruce .... I do think they're trying to put the best 53 on the roster and I do think their plan will continue to make this franchise better - we're not good yet but we're getting there

To me, Cundiff is not better than Gano or Rackers - Mike maybe wrong, but then again .... :lol:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby the poster » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:55 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
markshark84 wrote:Not a good move at all. I see a David Akers type thing happening with Gano.

This just makes no sense. Cut a younger, better kicker for a lesser, older one......

1. I think the Akers thing is a bit much...
2. Gano is better from long distance, Cundiff is better from mid-range/kick offs. So "better" is subjective.

Everyone lost their mind when we cut Gafney... FYI, the Patriots just cut him too, he didn't even last to the final round of cuts. :lol:

Let's not overreact.

"everybody lost their mind when we cut Gafney"?????? what are you talking about? who's everybody? I hope not. Gaffney was before a redskin, as a redskin, and after a redskin the very definition of mediocre.

i would hope that no one would have cared either way if he stayed or went.

as for the kicker change, i would think its a bad decision but we'll see.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:56 am

Image.

Scroll to the troll.
Scroll to the troll.
SCROLL TO THE TROLL!
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:59 am

Almost forgot:

Graham Gano
School: Florida State
Position: K

Career Punting: 147 Punts, 6189 Yds, 42.1 Avg

We just lost a really good backup punter too.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:01 pm

I wanted Gano cut at the end of last season. He sucks. This is a good move.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:09 pm

The Hogster wrote:I wanted Gano cut at the end of last season. He sucks. This is a good move.

but....but.....but....they say he has BIG legs???? is that from doing all those squats??? :lol:

WhatEV........that's why we are all fans and NOT coaches. I wish GG good luck in his NFL career.

I hear the Steelers aren't totally sold on Swishy....they can take Gano now.
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:16 pm

I'm hoping he doesn't get picked up (sorry Graham), so that we can re-sign him if the Cundiff experiment goes awry.

Hail to the Redskins!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:18 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:
The Hogster wrote:I wanted Gano cut at the end of last season. He sucks. This is a good move.

but....but.....but....they say he has BIG legs???? is that from doing all those squats??? :lol:

WhatEV........that's why we are all fans and NOT coaches. I wish GG good luck in his NFL career.

I hear the Steelers aren't totally sold on Swishy....they can take Gano now.

:lol: The funny thing is how fans, who aren't in practice, can say this is a dumb move when they haven't seen what this guy is doing in practices. He's been awful two years in a row. All I hear are excuses for him. He had 5 blocks last year, but the year prior he was still the worst kicker in the league. He's only made 74% of his kicks since becoming a Redskin. He's also been a Shankapotamus & a choke artist. It was time for him to go.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:30 pm

emoses14 wrote:Not at all jazzed about signing Cundiff and cutting Gano. This has to be a competition signing for this last week or game. Gano is better than Cundiff in every possible way other than extra points (Gano had one miss, Cundiff had none).

THAT INCLUDING 5 BLOCKS THAT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH GANO!!!!

This is insane if true.
The extra point was blocked too. AND Gano had two more kicks that were blocked that still went through!

The FG blocking team was just historically bad last year!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:52 pm

Come on Hogster. Normally you are pretty rational about things, but this is a major step back words if you are going off last years parformance!

Gano was 31 of 41 with 5 blocks or 76%
Cundiff was 28 of 37 with no blocks or 76%

Gano was 29 of 34 on kicks that weren't blocked or 85% and he was 2 for 7 on kicks that were blocked (yes, you read that right).

So compared to Cundiff he was 9% better on kicks that weren't blocked. The Ravens didn't allow any of Cundiff's kicks to get blocked, but Gano actually made 2 out of the 7 kicks that were blocked; not too bad!

Not blaming a kicker for a blocked kick that was the fault of the blocking unit is not making an excuse it is being rational and looking at the situation realistically!
Last edited by skinsfan#33 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:00 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:Not blaming a kicker for a blocked kick that was the fault of the blocking unit is not making an excuse it is being rational and looking at the situation realistically!

You should be warned up front: it's no use.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:03 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:

Come on Hogster. Normally you are pretty rational about things, but this is a major step back words if you are going off last years parformance!

Gano was 31 of 41 with 5 blocks or 76%
Cundiff was 28 of 37 with no blocks or 76%

Gano was 29 of 34 on kicks that were blocked or 85% and he was 2 for 7 on kicks that were blocked (yes, you read that right).

So compared to Cundiff he was 9% better on kicks that weren't blocked. The Ravens didn't allow any of Cundiff's kicks to get blocked, but Gano actually made 2 out of the 7 kicks that were blocked; not too bad!

Not blaming a kicker for a blocked kick that was the fault of the blocking unit is not making an excuse it is being rational and looking at the situation realistically!

Check his 2010 stats. He was still dead last without the blocks. But I guess we know better than experienced coaches who have watched him in games and in practice. Even still, kickers are judged by their ability to perform under pressure. And, Gano doesn't.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:25 pm

It's a kicker, whats the big deal?

Instead of looking at his stats, which are almost identical to Cundiff's (except that pro bowl thing...) explain what he has done to earn the right to stay.

Look, we are a sub .500 team. At this point whatever changes the coaches make I'm all for.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:04 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:Gano was 29 of 34 on kicks that were blocked or 85% and he was 2 for 7 on kicks that were blocked (yes, you read that right).

:hmm:
But did you write it right? :P

Hail to the Redskins!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:09 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:It's a kicker, whats the big deal?

Instead of looking at his stats, which are almost identical to Cundiff's (except that pro bowl thing...) explain what he has done to earn the right to stay.

Look, we are a sub .500 team. At this point whatever changes the coaches make I'm all for.

Nevermind that better kicking could have won us a couple of games, maybe in both Dallas games. And trading in a young kicker (coming off a much better season (86% of makable kicks) for a vet with nearly identicle career stats (coming off an average year for him - 76%) is just not smart.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football