Gano Cut - Cundiff Signed/Cut - Kai Forbath Signed

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:13 pm

Deadskins wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:Gano was 29 of 34 on kicks that were blocked or 85% and he was 2 for 7 on kicks that were blocked (yes, you read that right).

:hmm:
But did you write it right? :P

Wait, i did screw that up. Obviously I meant on kicks that weren't blocked. I'll go back and fix it, thanks.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:16 pm

The Hogster wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:
The Hogster wrote:I wanted Gano cut at the end of last season. He sucks. This is a good move.

but....but.....but....they say he has BIG legs???? is that from doing all those squats??? :lol:

WhatEV........that's why we are all fans and NOT coaches. I wish GG good luck in his NFL career.

I hear the Steelers aren't totally sold on Swishy....they can take Gano now.

:lol: The funny thing is how fans, who aren't in practice, can say this is a dumb move when they haven't seen what this guy is doing in practices. He's been awful two years in a row. All I hear are excuses for him. He had 5 blocks last year, but the year prior he was still the worst kicker in the league. He's only made 74% of his kicks since becoming a Redskin. He's also been a Shankapotamus & a choke artist. It was time for him to go.

Can't speak for all, but my problem is not with cutting Gano. It's that we replaced him with an equally crappy kicker, so why bother.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:20 pm

The Hogster wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:
The Hogster wrote:I wanted Gano cut at the end of last season. He sucks. This is a good move.

but....but.....but....they say he has BIG legs???? is that from doing all those squats??? :lol:

WhatEV........that's why we are all fans and NOT coaches. I wish GG good luck in his NFL career.

:lol: The funny thing is how fans, who aren't in practice, can say this is a dumb move when they haven't seen what this guy is doing in practices. He's been awful two years in a row. All I hear are excuses for him. He had 5 blocks last year, but the year prior he was still the worst kicker in the league. He's only made 74% of his kicks since becoming a Redskin. He's also been a Shankapotamus & a choke artist. It was time for him to go.

Still better than Cundiff. Which is why this fan thinks it was a dumb move. Drop him for someone better, fine. Not for someone worse.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:21 pm

The Hogster wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

Come on Hogster. Normally you are pretty rational about things, but this is a major step back words if you are going off last years parformance!

Gano was 31 of 41 with 5 blocks or 76%
Cundiff was 28 of 37 with no blocks or 76%

Gano was 29 of 34 on kicks that were blocked or 85% and he was 2 for 7 on kicks that were blocked (yes, you read that right).

So compared to Cundiff he was 9% better on kicks that weren't blocked. The Ravens didn't allow any of Cundiff's kicks to get blocked, but Gano actually made 2 out of the 7 kicks that were blocked; not too bad!

Not blaming a kicker for a blocked kick that was the fault of the blocking unit is not making an excuse it is being rational and looking at the situation realistically!

Check his 2010 stats. He was still dead last without the blocks. But I guess we know better than experienced coaches who have watched him in games and in practice. Even still, kickers are judged by their ability to perform under pressure. And, Gano doesn't.

Not talking about 2010. I'm talking about 2011 and I don't care if a Kicker misses every kick in practice (although reports are he was doing fine in practice) all I care about is what he can control on game day.

On game day, if the kick wasn't blocked he connected on 85% last year, the guy that just replaced him connected on 76% (which is roughly an average season for him.

So as you pointed out, 2010 was bad for him and as I pointed out 2011 was pretty good. Cundiff was just the opposite.

You may be happy Gano is gone but you can't be happy it is for this guy!

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:35 pm

chiefhog44 wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:

Can't speak for all, but my problem is not with cutting Gano. It's that we replaced him with an equally crappy kicker, so why bother.

+1
Equally crappy and older too. :lol:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

~~~~~~

Postby Redskin in Canada » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:45 pm

This is a potentially controversial move. It is one of those that if it works, they are geniuses, and if it does not, they are idiots.

My take is that they wanted PREDICTABILITY in key situations. They might have felt that Gano has a great leg but he may not handle pressure well.

Cundiff is not a long term answer in any event.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:51 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:They might have felt that Gano has a great leg but he may not handle pressure well.

Cundiff missed the winng FG in last season's AFC Championship game. We don't need that kind of performance under pressure. :roll: :lol:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:58 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:They might have felt that Gano has a great leg but he may not handle pressure well.

Cundiff missed the winng FG in last season's AFC Championship game. We don't need that kind of performance under pressure. :roll: :lol:

I doubt that they brought in a kicker that they think will be worse than the one they had

maybe that's just me :twisted:

Gano, Cundiff and Rackers are all good kickers - Cundiff is here for now

He will not be here for long if he doesn't clearly show that he's able to do a really good job

i think we're lucky he got cut by the ravens
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:41 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
The Hogster wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

Come on Hogster. Normally you are pretty rational about things, but this is a major step back words if you are going off last years parformance!

Gano was 31 of 41 with 5 blocks or 76%
Cundiff was 28 of 37 with no blocks or 76%

Gano was 29 of 34 on kicks that were blocked or 85% and he was 2 for 7 on kicks that were blocked (yes, you read that right).

So compared to Cundiff he was 9% better on kicks that weren't blocked. The Ravens didn't allow any of Cundiff's kicks to get blocked, but Gano actually made 2 out of the 7 kicks that were blocked; not too bad!

Not blaming a kicker for a blocked kick that was the fault of the blocking unit is not making an excuse it is being rational and looking at the situation realistically!

Check his 2010 stats. He was still dead last without the blocks. But I guess we know better than experienced coaches who have watched him in games and in practice. Even still, kickers are judged by their ability to perform under pressure. And, Gano doesn't.

Not talking about 2010. I'm talking about 2011 and I don't care if a Kicker misses every kick in practice (although reports are he was doing fine in practice) all I care about is what he can control on game day.

On game day, if the kick wasn't blocked he connected on 85% last year, the guy that just replaced him connected on 76% (which is roughly an average season for him.

So as you pointed out, 2010 was bad for him and as I pointed out 2011 was pretty good. Cundiff was just the opposite.

You may be happy Gano is gone but you can't be happy it is for this guy!

We will have to wait and see. Comcast just reported that Cundiff is 14/15 in fourth quarter kicks. He missed that big kick last year in the playoffs when the team was rushing on the field (when they had a timeout). But, aside from that, he's made kicks late in games. Something Gano can't be relied on to do.

We will see how the league views him now that he's cut. If he doesn't get signed, then maybe people here should accept the fact that he's not well respected. If he goes unclaimed, then there's always a chance he could come back if needed.

But, being that the coaching staff decided to go with a totally different kicker than the two who competed here--it's safe to assume that they were underwhelmed by what they've seen out of him.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:58 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
markshark84 wrote:Not a good move at all. I see a David Akers type thing happening with Gano.

This just makes no sense. Cut a younger, better kicker for a lesser, older one......

1. I think the Akers thing is a bit much...
2. Gano is better from long distance, Cundiff is better from mid-range/kick offs. So "better" is subjective.

Everyone lost their mind when we cut Gafney... FYI, the Patriots just cut him too, he didn't even last to the final round of cuts. :lol:

Let's not overreact.

Your perspective has moved me from the "doesn't make sense" to "I get it." As Graziano said, Shanny must see something that he values in Cundif.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:58 pm

... then why didn't we just keep Rackers?

Last two years:
20-29 yds, 22 of 22
30-39 yds, 21 0f 22
40-49 yds, 9 of 15
50+ yds, 7 of 9
PAT, 82 of 83

Cundiff was not any better and was 1 of 6 from 50+ last year ... and we've seen the shanks lately.

BTW, Gano was better on FG% on unblocked attempts than both Rackers and Cundiff.

IF either cut was classless (Cooley's or Gano's), it was Gano's.

After cutting Rackers, Shanny certainly had Gano thinking "I'm in."

Gano's interview yesterday after thinking he'd survived:

3 min 28 sec

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_ski ... 6&f=694281

I wonder if any other 'Skins are "looking over their shoulders" and if this is the right way to do business.

Just askin'.

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:59 pm

I wouldn't have had a problem if the team had cut Gano for a good kicker. They cut him for a guy that 7 out of his 8 years had seasons similar to Gano's 2010 season. Cundiff is not on his fifth team for no reason. He stinks!

Cut Gano, fine. Cut him for Cundiff, that has me scratching my head!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:38 pm

I really don't understand this fascination with Graham Gano. For the life of me.

He's the Colt Brennan of kickers. A cult icon based on a bunch of woulda, coulda, shouldas.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:46 pm

The Hogster wrote:I really don't understand this fascination with Graham Gano. For the life of me.

He's the Colt Brennan of kickers. A cult icon based on a bunch of woulda, coulda, shouldas.

Thank you, two years from now he will be about as famous a Redskin as Nick Novak.

Gano... :roll:
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:17 pm

The Hogster wrote:I really don't understand this fascination with Graham Gano. For the life of me.

No fascination here. I don't understand the fascination with Cundiff from our FO, but hey, they always know best. :roll:

I ask again, why didn't we just keep Rackers who is seemingly > Cundiff?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football