Redskins-Ravens "Rivalry"

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Junior Hog

Redskins-Ravens "Rivalry"

Postby Jake » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:43 am

Hey guys, I'm writing an article for What's Up? Annapolis Magazine about the Redskins and Ravens "rivalry" and wanted to get the fan perspective on it.

I have a few questions for you all. If you would like the chance to be cited in the magazine by your real name but don't want to give it out on the boards, you can send it to me in a private message. Otherwise, please put it in your post.

If you have any information or opinions you'd like to add after answering the questions, please feel free to do so.

Thanks for taking part in this.

Here are the questions:

- Do you consider the Redskins and Ravens rivals? Why or why not?
- What would it take to make this a real rivalry? Or does the fact that they only play in the preseason and every four years in the regular season prevent it from ever becoming a real rivalry?
- Who takes the "rivalry" more seriously? Redskins or Ravens fans? Why?
- What are your feelings toward the Ravens and why do you feel that way? Do you hate them, root for them, or are you indifferent?
- What are your feelings about Ravens fans? Why do you feel that way?
- What plays or moments from past Redskins-Ravens games stand out to you?
- What is the best/funniest/most memorable story you have about you or a friend/family member that is a Ravens fan (prank, joke, memory during a game, etc.)?
RIP Sean Taylor 1983-2007
RIP Kevin Mitchell 1971-2007
RIP Justin Skaggs 1979-2007
RIP Sammy Baugh 1914-2008

RIP JPFair
RIP VetSkinsFan

#60 Chris Samuels: 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time 6-time Pro Bowl left tackle!

kazoo

Re: Redskins-Ravens "Rivalry"

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:21 am

- Do you consider the Redskins and Ravens rivals? Why or why not?

Yes, Baltimorons are annoying. But it's nothing like the divisional rivalries. And Ravens is the dumbest team name I've ever heard. A bird I mostly see with squirrel entrails hanging from it's beak on roads.

- What would it take to make this a real rivalry? Or does the fact that they only play in the preseason and every four years in the regular season prevent it from ever becoming a real rivalry?

It is what it is, I don't see it changing

Ravens fans, I can't believe you asked that. They hate DC. The return is only how people from a city with no big companies, famous people or history is bitter over it's neighbor, the capitol of the free world.

- What are your feelings toward the Ravens and why do you feel that way? Do you hate them, root for them, or are you indifferent?

I enjoy when they lose and they moan, don't really get upset if they win.

They are the reason I hate the team. Other than the name.

None

- What is the best/funniest/most memorable story you have about you or a friend/family member that is a Ravens fan (prank, joke, memory during a game, etc.)?[/quote]

I just have a mental image of a bunch of drooling
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

cleg

Postby cleg » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:34 am

I don't know beause I am no longer local. But I find something interesting. I went to high school in Hagerstown graduating in 1992 well before there was a Ravens. Aside from a few special needs kids who rooted for the Cowboys (just for attention) or the Steelers (don't know why) we were all Redskins fans. The 1991 Super Bowl was senior year and was huge.

Now, 20 years later many of them have become Ravens fans which I cannot understand. Since Baltimore and Washington is equal distance from Hagerstown I have noticed a couple trends. Those that gravitated to the Ravens were mostly the more conservative kids in high school - I wonder if this is just a result of a hatred of Washington because of politics. Second, they were more of the working class kids and I think this might be related to the first point. Third, and most controversal of my points, they seemed to be the kids that valued diversity the least - of course, DC and Baltimore are both majority black but only Washington had the reputation (then) as murder capital of country, had the Honorable(?) Marian Berry as the Mayor who like hotels, hookers and hooch.

My observations may be limited to just a small sample size of kids in the far, far suburbs/small town of Hagerstown. Who knows but the above reasons seem to be consistent with my experiences.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:58 am

Jake wrote:- What are your feelings toward the Ravens and why do you feel that way? Do you hate them, root for them, or are you indifferent?

I went to Baltimore Colts games as a child. I saw Unitas. The SBIII loss to the Jets broke my heart. I am from MD but not Baltimore. I grew up just outside DC. For me it was all about that horseshoe on the hemet, not about the city of Baltimore.

When they left town my faovrite team became the Redskins who had been #2 on my list.

I HATE the Ravens. About the only team I'd ever want to see them beat is the Cowboys.

I can't understand the Ray Lewis lovefest. I'm not sure why the NFL never suspended him in connection with that murder trial.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:04 am

The only thing Baltimore fans are good at is disrespecting the National Anthem prior to all of their sporting events.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Hog

Postby Red_One43 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:12 pm

Do you consider the Redskins and Ravens rivals? Why or why not?

Yes, because teams located in the area should care who is Number 1 in the area and the "Battle of the Beltway" makes a great title. We compete for some of the same fanbase territory.

They would have to play every preseason (didn't this year) and the media would have to join in the hype. It will probably never be recognized as an NFL rivalry because the games have to have play-off ramifications. Look how the Dallas - Rivalry has lost a lot of steam in the eyes of the NFL because in the last few years the only joint thing at stake was pride.

When I first moved here in 2004, I thought the Ravens could be my favorite AFC team, but when they played us at FedEx, their fans were rude and obnoxious. The next year I went to their stadium for a preseason game and a groups of us started singing Hail to the Redskins after a TD. The fans around us got angry - I said, "It's preseason! What's the big deal?" To them it did not matter. I get it if it were regular season, but now I know - it doesn't matter and because of that - I decided that I could not like the Ravens at all - my favorite AFC teams - Steelers and the Titans

My answer above can fit here as well.

Again, my answer two questions above can fit here.

Best:
Stephen Davis breaking off a 33 yd TD to win the game in Oct 2000
http://www.footballdb.com/boxscore/2000101512

Worst:
Zorn's first year and we played the Ravens close (17- 10 4th quarter after spoting them a 17-0 lead). One of their scores was on a fumble. We needed to hold them and get the ball back to score and win. They started that drive around their own 20. They proceded to methodically march the ball down the field and score a TD. We had shut them down since their first 17 points. It was agonizing watching them slowly move the ball at will down the field. What happened to the D that had shut them down. They weren't doing anyting fancy, just running the ball. Then when we slowed them down in our territory, they crank it up for a 28 yard TD. I am pretty sure that it was a prime time game on national TV. Ravens were in their all black uniforms. I can't get those images out of my head.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/200812070 ... ab=analyze

- What is the best/funniest/most memorable story you have about you or a friend/family member that is a Ravens fan (prank, joke, memory during a game, etc.)?

I have no friends or family that are Ravens fans, but I remember going to a preseason scrimmage at their stadium. I sat next to a Ravens family. They were nice folks and had no hatred for Redskins. Their daughter, a teenager, was a Ttitan Fan, and loved Steve McNair. The father told me that the previous year, they went to the Ravens/Titan game as a family. Dad, Mom, son decked out in Ravens gear and daughter in her McNair Titans jersey. The father told me that Ravens fans spit on his daughter. This is a Ravens fan being honest to a Redskin about how nasty some of their fans can be. That is low - a teenaged girl with her family? C'mom! . That Dad proved to me that not all Ravens fans are bad, but I haven't been to their stadium since that preseason scrimmage.
Last edited by Red_One43 on Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:48 pm

There's no rivalry. Baltimore is a City that couldn't keep it's own football team (the Colts) so they took someone else's (Cleveland's).

Their fans happened the same way so many DC Native Cowboy fans occur; mommy and daddy didn't love them enough.

It's so funny how much Ravens fans WANT this to be a rivalry, but it just isn't. They hate the Redskins and most of us "nothing" the Ravens. We don't really root for them, but we don't really root against them. We kinda forget Baltimore even has a team (which if I recall is why the Colts left).

We already have a rivalry that's been long established with Dallas. Maybe they can pick someone in their division if they need a rival so bad.
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:20 pm

I mean really??

Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Sorry, i just cant get worked up over the ravens.....and don't view them as a rival. Different conferencd and division.....only play every so often. The Redskin rivals r nfce opponents. Heck, just look at the number of threads on various Redskin websites that have to do with the eagles, boys and giants vs the ravens......think raven related threads would be in the minority.

I dont hate the ravens......but just don't care about them.

Sorry, no stories or ancedotes....and i dont live around the beltway so not privvy to any local info if this is somehow a bigger deal up around dc.....
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

Hog

Postby ACW » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:17 pm

Kazoo, they're named after Baltimore native Poe. Fierce bird.
I envy their front office. And say what you want, but Lewis is a WARRIOR. And Rice is a fantasy beast,
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

Hog

Postby ferryrich » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:20 pm

I can't really answer the questions, but watching from several thousand miles away, the only teams I've ever cared about beating in a rivalry sense have been divisional rivals (including the Cardinals) and the 49ers, due to their post-season performaces back in the day.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:00 pm

There is no rivalry from the DC perspective... I could care less about Baltimore...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:57 am

ACW wrote:Kazoo, they're named after Baltimore native Poe. Fierce bird

It's fierce if you're squirrel entrails...
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:15 am

Hey Jake, looks like you're getting alot of material to work with. I'm for the Left coast so my opinion may not matter.

Isn't a raven a Scavenger bird...? So proud of that....
Ray Ray murder stuff......yet he exhibits talk of prayer/Christian/God when interviewed. One can question if it's genuine - only God knows

IMO......SKINS all the way ...........HAIL YEAH
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:05 pm

Jake wrote:- What plays or moments from past Redskins-Ravens games stand out to you?

The year the Ravens went all the way they played the Washington Norvsters at FedEx. A Raven fan sat in front of me and was fond of saying "Oh my!" when the Ravens did something good. Well - when the 'Skins responded I started saying "Oh my!" When we WON I couldn't say "Oh my!" enough.

At the same game signs were given out that said

Pluck the Ravens!

People got ahold of markers and turned them into

Phuck the Ravens!

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football